This stuff can't happen!!!

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shocked, to say the least of the loss to KC. 14 points??? 2 catches by Jordy Nelson and both on the last drive. The best receiving core in the NFL and just 14 points. I have always questioned, at times, Mike McCarthy's play calling. Where are the Packer screen plays of Dorsey Levens? I look forward to watching the replay tonight on NFL Network. The game wasn't aired here in New England. I hope the dismantle the bears this week and show that last Sunday was just a hiccup.

PackAttack1992

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The depleted and ineffective o-line certainly did not help. And all those dropped passes... I know players have bad games, that's part of football. But it is so frustrating seeing Rodgers throwing a pinpoint accurate pass, and the receivers drop it or let it fly through their hands... But I do know that it must be even more frustrating for the receivers themselves.

It looks easy when I'm sitting on my couch and watching the game, so I try to be understanding. But I couldn't help but be frustrated after the game.

Then our already leaky defense just looked confused on the field, letting them walk all over us and making Orton look like a Pro Bowler. That won't cut it in the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have always questioned, at times, Mike McCarthy's play calling.
This is laugh out loud funny IMO. The Packers won 19 games in a row. They have the most prolific scoring offense in the league this season and after their first loss in 364 days a Packers fan questions McCarthy's play calling. It's as predictable as the sun rising in the east and like I said laugh out loud funny.

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol funny? Losing to a good team is acceptable, to the Chiefs is not. 14 pts is never acceptable. Face it, they overlooked the Chiefs and now other teams will not be as intimidated as they once were. Yes 2 catches by Nelson is unacceptable. As I said, the game did not air in New England, I will see the replay tonight, but I am guessing there will be questionable play calling or not switching to a no-huddle, which they should more often when things aren't working.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had an off day. it happens. O line went to hell and couldnt regroup. We will learn a lot about this team in the next game.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
lol funny? Losing to a good team is acceptable, to the Chiefs is not. 14 pts is never acceptable. Face it, they overlooked the Chiefs and now other teams will not be as intimidated as they once were.

They didn't overlook them. They got beaten. We didn't have our top WR, our top RB (Starks is much better than Grant), and our top 2 offensive linemen. Guys dropped balls and when you're playing against one of the top 3 pass rushing teams is not a good time to have your OL banged up.

Yes 2 catches by Nelson is unacceptable.

Yes, they shouldn't have signed the bum to that extension.

As I said, the game did not air in New England...

Whoa, whoa, whoa.. hold the phone here. You didn't even see the game and you're harping on McCarthy's play-calling?! Seriously???

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rodgers had an off day. it happens. O line went to hell and couldnt regroup. We will learn a lot about this team in the next game.

Rodgers was fine. He was running for his life all afternoon and he can only throw the ball; he can't run out there and catch it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just to be clear aristotle, what I consider LOL funny is your questioning McCarthy's play-calling. Particularly since you haven't seen the game. As long as I've interacted with fans I've heard play calling criticized. And just as in every other human endeavor, of course mistakes are made in calling a football game. But IMO many of the fans who criticize NFL play callers have no idea of the complexity of the task. Some think if they can guess run or pass more than 50% of the time, the play calling was "predictable". Watch a detailed explanation of a play diagram sometime - not the brief job they do on the McCarthy show, but a more in depth look at a play like on National Football Post website or on some NFL network shows.

This subject gives me an excuse to tell this story: John Madden tells the story of attending a clinic by Vince Lombardi. As Madden tells it, he was pretty full of himself at the time and thought he knew a lot about football but of course wanted to see the famous coach. Lombardi's topic for the clinic was one play: The famous Packers sweep. He spent eight hours explaining it! Madden was flabbergasted and humbled by the experience. Of course offensive playbooks are much more complicated today and the combination of thick playbooks and the myriad substitution packages is mind boggling.

But IMO that's not even the main point, which is this: When you are analyzing a play caller (or almost anything else) it's a mistake to focus completely upon one game, incident or example. Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and their staffs have created an awesome offense which leads the entire league in points scored. Until last Sunday, the least amount of points they have scored this season is 24. They had an off day at Kansas City. The best Packers team I ever watched was the 1962 team. On Thanksgiving of that year, they went to Detroit and got absolutely hammered. Starr was sacked 11 times and threw two interceptions. Judging by your initial post on this thread, I wonder what you would have said after that game. Actually I don’t wonder, I'm just making the point that when evaluating McCarthy's playcalling, look at more than the worst game in a group of at least 20 consecutive games.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Hey you know what today is? It's turn the page Tuesday. We have some Bear butt to kick and a #1 seed to secure. Bad day bad game. Moving on. I know I know, but that's all I got.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You know what. I was really upset Sunday but now not so much. Of course it was the Chiefs and all. But, I always remember how much trouble Crennel gave Manning over the years. Did not matter what the team, Romeo can dial it up and push the right buttons for a few elite pass happy teams at times. He is underrated. A huge huge part of those Pats SB winning teams. Huge part.

Now as for losing this game at least the Packers did not tank it. They lost fair and square. I remember the 2007 Pats and how many close calls they had with a few awful teams. The Ravens/the Eagles for example. Maybe maybe if they had lost in Baltimore that year after all they could have realized they were not invincible and would not have taken the Giants so lightly. I am convinced they felt they would wipe the floor with the Giants and sail to 19-0. It seemed like they were getting the books and shirts already shipped out. I even remember Brady snubbing Eli before the SB during warm ups. It all seemed too cocky, like it was the crowning of NE and the Giants were just lucky to be there.

Now the Packers came back to Earth after 19 straight wins. So they did go 19-0. ;) But, now they have to realize you can't take anyone lightly and any team can beat you.

*sigh* A fun ride though to almost perfection but now it's time to move on. I always wanted to see a team I am a fan of go 19-0. Guess I never will now. Maybe 19-0 never will truly happen.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
In 1997, the defending Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers went into Indy to play the 0-10 Indianapolis Colts. The Colts won 41-38 and finished 3-13. The Packers finished 13-3 and returned to the Super Bowl.

It's a new week folks. :)

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was and still a little upset,part of it was the pass interference calls on Jordy,they played bad,chifes o=line is bad but not the d-line but I'm over it now still think the pack will finish 15-1 still proud of our team.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was and still a little upset,part of it was the pass interference calls on Jordy,they played bad,chifes o=line is bad but not the d-line but I'm over it now still think the pack will finish 15-1 still proud of our team.

are you saying you are upset about this or this was a contributing factor to the reason they lost? Either way its silly

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
Yeah, this stuff can and will happen. Just look back to the Packers' 1967 regular season to understand their adverse situation. Taylor and Hornung were long gone, the team was getting guys from off the street because of mounting injuries and they limped into the Ice Bowl at 9-4-1 after losing their last two regular season games; one to the lowly 4-9-1 Steelers. No doubt, I have great faith in my team bouncing back. The opposite can be said for some of the fan base.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I should qualify that “like” above. I don’t like that Rodgers had his worst game of the season. I agree with the point that he did and I also agree Rodgers has come down to Earth over the past few games and I don’t like that either. It turns out Aaron Rodgers is actually human: He was on an all-time great run and there’s a reason that’s incredibly difficult to sustain over a season.

Also from ivo's link:

Perfect storm took place in this game: Jennings out with injury, Chiefs predominant tight man coverage, Rodgers bad game throwing the ball, Injuries on Packers OL, Increase in pass rush pressure as the game progressed
If the Packers can get their OL healthy along with the return of Starks and Jennings, teams that duplicate the Chiefs’ tactics will get burned by the run. With the OL back to their average play, even on obvious passing downs a team that plays man coverage most of the time is opening itself up for Rodgers to burn him with his feet. Also, not many teams have the DBs to match up like the Chiefs did.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts