Thinking back to the Rams/Patriots Super Bowl

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I talked with a Rams fan today about this game, in which he described it as the "worst loss ever" he's endured as a football fan.

He talked about how he felt the Rams were shafted in the Super Bowl, claiming Marshall Faulk was held most the game, and there were many late hits, holding, face masks that didn't get called, and he also argued that the spygate had something to do with it. I'm not one to get into the Patriot conspiracy theories but I've been thinking about this all day. You know, Warner was never the same after losing the Super Bowl.

There's a huge what if that circles that Super Bowl, cause I really believe the Raiders should have played in it, but if that happened, I think the Rams would have crushed them.

I can't really remember this Super Bowl as it was one that I didn't pay much attention to. I hated the Rams growing up, for one simple reason; they always dominated the Saints as a divisional opponent. You wouldn't know it today, but once upon a time there was an NFC West where the Saints and Falcons played in, and the Saints would always lose to the Rams and 49ers. I wanted the Rams to lose this Super Bowl, but I never looked at it from another perspective.

I would have to go back and watch the game play by play to think of the Patriots did illegal things, despite there has been mention that they video taped the Rams.

http://tstos.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/were-my-rams-shafted-in-super-bowl-xxxvi/
http://tstos.wordpress.com/2007/09/13/were-the-rams-cheated-in-super-bowl-xxxvi/

Reading this, got me thinking too.
Come to think about it, I don't know how the Patriots held Marshall Faulk when no other team could stop him that year.
But at the same time, I think the Rams went into that game thinking they already had it won. I still think the Patriots would have won the game regardless if they video taped the practices or not.

How do you guys feel looking back at the end of the "Greatest show on Turf"?

D

Dan115

Rams were a 2 TD favorite. Brady and Belichick's first super bowl. I was happy to see the Pats win.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Rams were a 2 TD favorite. Brady and Belichick's first super bowl. I was happy to see the Pats win.

I hated the Rams back then, wanted them to lose. They always, ALWAYS some how would just slaughter the Saints, and living in a house of Saints fans, that wasn't acceptable back when the NFC West was Rams/49ers/Falcons/Saints/Panthers

D

Dan115

I hated the Rams back then, wanted them to lose. They always, ALWAYS some how would just slaughter the Saints, and living in a house of Saints fans, that wasn't acceptable back when the NFC West was Rams/49ers/Falcons/Saints/Panthers

The Rams were slaughtering most teams. Greatest Show in Turf.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I was a senior in college in Boston (BC) when the Pats won that SB. Not lying when I say I am serious about the birth of many new Pats fans that postseason. I don't recall a crazy amount of Pats love or attention at all until that SB run. It was all Red Sox obsession...the baby of Boston is always going to be the Red Sox. The team who breaks their hearts is always the Sox. Of course I remember students rolling out on the streets and celebrating like crazy when they won the SB. I also remember how anti Tom Brady many were at times that year and many wanted the more experienced Bledsoe back in there. It was a hot topic. Ironically Bledsoe helped win the AFCCG against the Steelers when Brady got hurt and thats a little known fact that is rarely brought up in regards to that SB run. The Steelers were so cocky they had their bags packed to head to the SB after they beat the Pats.......

Not sure, the Pats were just one of those teams who come along every once in a while who win it all. A true Cinderella team. I still question the tuck rule and the cheating the Pats "might" have done but you can't take it away from them either.

When the Pats played the Giants in the SB I actually picked the Giants in a bold move (gut feeling) and it was a deju vu feeling to me heading into the game. Like the roles were reversed.The Pats became everything they hated and resembled the old Rams and also the Colts with a high powered offense. The Giants were the scrappy defensive heavy Cinderella team this time around who were heavy underdogs. And the Pats got hit for good in that SB by another Tuck rule.....Justin Tuck. ;)

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I talked with a Rams fan today about this game, in which he described it as the "worst loss ever" he's endured as a football fan.

He talked about how he felt the Rams were shafted in the Super Bowl, claiming Marshall Faulk was held most the game, and there were many late hits, holding, face masks that didn't get called, and he also argued that the spygate had something to do with it. I'm not one to get into the Patriot conspiracy theories but I've been thinking about this all day. You know, Warner was never the same after losing the Super Bowl.

There's a huge what if that circles that Super Bowl, cause I really believe the Raiders should have played in it, but if that happened, I think the Rams would have crushed them.

I can't really remember this Super Bowl as it was one that I didn't pay much attention to. I hated the Rams growing up, for one simple reason; they always dominated the Saints as a divisional opponent. You wouldn't know it today, but once upon a time there was an NFC West where the Saints and Falcons played in, and the Saints would always lose to the Rams and 49ers. I wanted the Rams to lose this Super Bowl, but I never looked at it from another perspective.

I would have to go back and watch the game play by play to think of the Patriots did illegal things, despite there has been mention that they video taped the Rams.

http://tstos.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/were-my-rams-shafted-in-super-bowl-xxxvi/
http://tstos.wordpress.com/2007/09/13/were-the-rams-cheated-in-super-bowl-xxxvi/

Reading this, got me thinking too.
Come to think about it, I don't know how the Patriots held Marshall Faulk when no other team could stop him that year.
But at the same time, I think the Rams went into that game thinking they already had it won. I still think the Patriots would have won the game regardless if they video taped the practices or not.

How do you guys feel looking back at the end of the "Greatest show on Turf"?
What does this thread have to do with the Packers?

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
The Rams proved it was their system that did the job, because Warner never quite had the success he had there with any other teams.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I talked to a Rams fan once who said he just had a strange and almost sick feeling in his gut leading up to the game and all through it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts