The Too-Early Draft/Free Agency Thread

D

Deleted member 6794

Even if Gute extends Alexander and cuts or doesn't resign guys like Lowry, Lancaster, Crosby, King, Z'darius, Lewis, Cobb, he'll still have to say goodbye to Rodgers, Adams or both to get under the cap. Maybe they sign a deal that gives a minor 2022 cap hit, but that just means the pain will be worse in 2023.

The Packers could save more cap space for next season by extending Rodgers compared to trading him. With the cap set to explode in 2023 it might not be that terrible to push money further down the road.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could save more cap space for next season by extending Rodgers compared to trading him. With the cap set to explode in 2023 it might not be that terrible to push money further down the road.

The cap explosion coming is the key to this whole thing. IF Gute wanted to explain that to Adams and Aaron should desire to stay exist, Russ could explain how to make it work either for one year or multiple. The estimations of that explosion have been crazy big, but if it can save us, some savvy cap teams could rebuild intensely fast as well…could be perfect timing to build around Love if it is the end

D

Deleted member 6794

The estimations of that explosion have been crazy big, but if it can save us, some savvy cap teams could rebuild intensely fast as well…could be perfect timing to build around Love if it is the end

The cap increasing by a significant amount in 2023 would allow the Packers to push money down the road to keep the team together for next season. But I don't believe it would result in an easier path to rebuild as other teams will have more to spend as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap increasing by a significant amount in 2023 would allow the Packers to push money down the road to keep the team together for next season. But I don't believe it would result in an easier path to rebuild as other teams will have more to spend as well.

Yup, keeping wouldn't be how to rebuild, honestly it would do the opposite three and four years out. It would be to continue pushing hard for the now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup, keeping wouldn't be how to rebuild, honestly it would do the opposite three and four years out. It would be to continue pushing hard for the now.

Just to clarify, I'm in favor of keeping Rodgers and as many other impact players as possible around as long as the team proves to be a contender. That would result in less cap space being available to rebuild once the team moves on though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I'm in favor of keeping Rodgers and as many other impact players as possible around as long as the team proves to be a contender. That would result in less cap space being available to rebuild once the team moves on though.

As much as I despise Rodgers antics and character, I'd be all for attempting to hold on to this one more year or two as well - you don't have a HoFer that often at QB...push it!

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer that the "cap explosion" in 2023 gets partly redirected to stadium replacement funds for each team. That's another thread though...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please create one. I'm one of those who thought that sort of thing was entirely a separate issue.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I despise Rodgers antics and character, I'd be all for attempting to hold on to this one more year or two as well - you don't have a HoFer that often at QB...push it!
this seems like such a no brainer to me… but I think that sometimes GM’s let their egos get in the way just like players do.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers doesn't seem to be a guy I'd like to go for a beer with but in my opinion he hasn't done anything worth of being despised for either.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh.....I truly despise arrogancy in folks - it might be that if I'm not careful it is a sin I struggle with, but for whatever reason I despise that trait perhaps more than any other a human exhibits.

Members online

Latest posts