The silver linings

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still got Aaron.
The best and current GOAT in all of the NFL right now.

What else?

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have one of the most talented rosters in the league. The front office needs to address the cornerback and outside linebacker position with at least one veteran free agent each for the team to be considered a legitimate Super Bowl contender next season though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team is not far off, If we get a really good to great pass rusher or DB I think we're just fine even with just an average offseason for GB. If we get solid at both positions I think we're fine. If somehow we get both areas filled with great, welli don't want to ruin my keyboard. This team has a lot of fine players and great character and mental make up. This last season should have taught you that.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have been in the NFC championship game 2 out of 3 years and could have easily been 3 out of 3. The places in need of a talent influx are obvious - cb and Olb and probably rb. The offense is very good. There are pieces on defense. We have cap room to make a couple moves.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have been in the NFC championship game 2 out of 3 years and could have easily been 3 out of 3. The places in need of a talent influx are obvious - cb and Olb and probably rb. The offense is very good. There are pieces on defense. We have cap room to make a couple moves.

While it´s true the Packers have sufficient cap space to make a move or two in free agency it remains to be seen if Thompson finally uses all possible ways to upgrade the roster.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Because I don't see a smiley in that post, I assume they're serious. Just because there are 32 teams doesn't mean they've all got the same chance. Just ask Vegas. Put me at the 40 yard line with 31 NFL kickers, and I'm thinking my odds of beating them in a FG contest are significantly less than 1 in 32. :)

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it´s true the Packers have sufficient cap space to make a move or two in free agency it remains to be seen if Thompson finally uses all possible ways to upgrade the roster.

Completely agree. He is effective when he does use free agency as guys like Woodson, peppers, cook and guion have all played important roles but he just need to be more aggressive

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree. He is effective when he does use free agency as guys like Woodson, peppers, cook and guion have all played important roles but he just need to be more aggressive

For the most part, Guion is a JAG/journeyman.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed to disagree. Guion has been solid enough. I would have taken 3 cbs who performed at Guion's level. You don't need a start at every spot

Guion flashes now and then, but is usually invisible, when he's not getting washed out of holes/gaps.
A dime a dozen guy.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
NFC NORTH DIVISION CHAMPS AGAIN after a one year hiatus which gave Vikings fans a temporary sense of relevancy... only to be shot out of water when the universe righted itself.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC NORTH DIVISION CHAMPS AGAIN after a one year hiatus which gave Vikings fans a temporary sense of relevancy... only to be shot out of water when the universe righted itself.

Sorry, Weeds; does nothing for me.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 straight years of playoffs. 2 NFC title games the last 3 years.The best QB in the NFL. Probably the best 1-3 punch at WR in the league. Playmaking TE for the first time since Finley. Lacy, Mont and a drafted RB makes us deep at that position too. Best LT in the league. Best OL in the league in pass protection. Very solid against the run. PLENTY of cap room to fix the pass defense. A CB1 and ILB might do that.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have one of the most talented rosters in the league. The front office needs to address the cornerback and outside linebacker position with at least one veteran free agent each for the team to be considered a legitimate Super Bowl contender next season though.
I just don't see how you can believe that. The cupboard looks nearly bare for pass rushers next year, and was merely above average this year, and that was arguably the worst secondary in the league after just one injury. I think people are looking at Cobb's 1,200 yard season and not the player he's been the past two seasons, and the highs of Cook and Adams instead of when they are being incredibly inconsistent or invisible, as well as the running game, which is a mess.

Now look at New England-#1 defense, a 1,000 yard rusher and one of the most effective passing games in the league, the best TE when healthy, and the ability to not miss a beat when an injury presents itself -They completely blow GB's roster out of the water IMO. The QB position is really all that separates GB from being in Chicago's shoes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not with TT here and things staying status quo ( As the presser today hinted).

There's absolutely no doubt the Packers have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl next season than a lot of other teams.

Agreed to disagree. Guion has been solid enough. I would have taken 3 cbs who performed at Guion's level. You don't need a start at every spot

Guion didn't perform on a decent level this season. I wouldn't mind replacing him in 2017.

8 straight years of playoffs. 2 NFC title games the last 3 years.The best QB in the NFL. Probably the best 1-3 punch at WR in the league. Playmaking TE for the first time since Finley. Lacy, Mont and a drafted RB makes us deep at that position too. Best LT in the league. Best OL in the league in pass protection. Very solid against the run. PLENTY of cap room to fix the pass defense. A CB1 and ILB might do that.

The offense is extremely talented although I don't agree with you about having the best 1-3 punch at wide receiver in the league. On the other hand the defense is in need of major upgrades at cornerback and outside linebacker.

I just don't see how you can believe that. The cupboard looks nearly bare for pass rushers next year, and was merely above average this year, and that was arguably the worst secondary in the league after just one injury. I think people are looking at Cobb's 1,200 yard season and not the player he's been the past two seasons, and the highs of Cook and Adams instead of when they are being incredibly inconsistent or invisible, as well as the running game, which is a mess.

Now look at New England-#1 defense, a 1,000 yard rusher and one of the most effective passing games in the league, the best TE when healthy, and the ability to not miss a beat when an injury presents itself -They completely blow GB's roster out of the water IMO. The QB position is really all that separates GB from being in Chicago's shoes.

I believe the Packers turn into one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl when adding a veteran shutdown cornerback and impact outside linebacker as well as drafting another talented player early at both positions. The offense is talented enough to carry the team to another title with a slightly above average defense.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt the Packers have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl next season than a lot of other teams.

Guion didn't perform on a decent level this season. I wouldn't mind replacing him in 2017.

The offense is extremely talented although I don't agree with you about having the best 1-3 punch at wide receiver in the league. On the other hand the defense is in need of major upgrades at cornerback and outside linebacker.

I believe the Packers turn into one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl when adding a veteran shutdown cornerback and impact outside linebacker as well as drafting another talented player early at both positions. The offense is talented enough to carry the team to another title with a slightly above average defense.
The likelihood that a veteran shutdown corner is added to the team is extremely low. It's TT, everyone wants one of those, other teams have more money to offer, and there are maybe 1 or 2 available. You saw what NY had to give up to get a CB and OLB, and that's just not TT's cup of tea.

The defense has been adding talented young players early in the draft for years, and they have pretty much been middle of the road the entire way. It doesn't take that long to turn a defense around.

Latest posts