The running game

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that people think the running game is a problem. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the coaching, I see nothing wrong with personnel.
I do respect that we need help on the OL but only because we have to have the best pass blocking OL in football to protect arguably the best QB in the NFL.
I can't imagine people would want to see the coaching go, Bulaga stepped in early at a position he's never played and did pretty good. Now someone posted here he's mostly a RT? No, he'll be our LT, it's his position and he's gonna be good at it. If he can play a tackle position he's never played before as well as he has screams of good coaching.
Colledge will be gone and either Newhouse or Lang will take his spot. Nothing wrong with Wells, the knock on him is his arm spread, not height. But if he's got the right guards on either side it will not be a problem, very cerebral player that Rodgers respects.
As for abandoning the ZBS, guys, this is how we're built, every guy on the line in the last 6 years was drafted to play it, there's nothing wrong with our approach to it, there's nothing wrong with the way we execute it. I think people wanna see 50 yard runs out of it, but that's not what it's designed to do, it's designed to produce positive yards on as many plays as possible. Just like a sack is real bad, a negative run is too. Ryan Grant is one of the best in football to get positive yardage on every single run, I think with James Starks to spell him the Packers will be dangerous, it will keep them on "schedule" 2nd and less than 8 and 3rd and less than 5 yards" to set up quick outs and screens to convert third downs.
I'd love to see the next Barry Sanders back there, but unless he comes in the 7th round I'm good with our ground game.

Coming out last year almost every scout said that RT was more a natural position for him than LT. He played great there for a rookie, and I think we should keep him there he'll only get better. LT is deep in this draft and we should look at getting one in the draft. Clifton has a year or two left in the tank and any LT they take could sit behind him and learn. I would like to get someone that is a little better in the run blocking but still good at pass protection.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with DevilDon's opinion that there is nothing wrong with the zone blocking scheme. Lombardi is the one to introduce it to the NFL, and it seemed to work well with his teams.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont feel like we need to bring anyone new in as far as RBs but it would be nice to get better run blockers.

Colledge, Clifton, Bulaga, and every TE we have are all terrible at run blocking and we need to fix this more than anything.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and yeah Im with the Bulaga as a RT personally. Lang I want to see more of at LT.

Staff online

Members online