The Point of the Draft Picks

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was illustrating that if Gute spends money on a WR I foresee it as a Ryan Grant type not a Gabriel type...and you brought up "like Funchess". That's all I meant, I disagree with implying they're similar.
Sure I get it. Gluten had a lot of opportunities to beef up the WR group, and he chose a different path. I think most of us would agree that “win now” is the prevailing sentiment, rather than rebuilding or planning for #12’s imminent demise. Jordan Love is a long-term (2 to 3 year) calculated risk. I have no idea if that was the right choice or the right way to use the #30 pick. But it’s done, and we all move on.

Just based on his draft, and even though there is still time for trades and UDFAs to emerge from nowhere, it’s relatively safe to assume that Gluten and MLF are content with their WR talent, and they have said so. And based on the scheme MLF uses (heavy run, RPO) that might be right.

In the end, I don’t care if it’s Funchess or any one else not named Adams to step up and take on a true #2 role in the passing game. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen. And let’s face it, if this nasty virus is still in the air come July/August, we will be joining the NBA and MLB and all other sports and put the season on hold, or cancel it outright.

Geez, then what will we have to chat about?!?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure I get it. Gluten had a lot of opportunities to beef up the WR group, and he chose a different path. I think most of us would agree that “win now” is the prevailing sentiment, rather than rebuilding or planning for #12’s imminent demise. Jordan Love is a long-term (2 to 3 year) calculated risk. I have no idea if that was the right choice or the right way to use the #30 pick. But it’s done, and we all move on.

Just based on his draft, and even though there is still time for trades and UDFAs to emerge from nowhere, it’s relatively safe to assume that Gluten and MLF are content with their WR talent, and they have said so. And based on the scheme MLF uses (heavy run, RPO) that might be right.

In the end, I don’t care if it’s Funchess or any one else not named Adams to step up and take on a true #2 role in the passing game. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen. And let’s face it, if this nasty virus is still in the air come July/August, we will be joining the NBA and MLB and all other sports and put the season on hold, or cancel it outright.

Geez, then what will we have to chat about?!?

Oh have no fear, Gute is marked and will be in the crosshairs of many irregardless of the time, results or seasons now.

Steven J. Weissmann

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest a thought at to what Gutekunst is doing in this draft, and people can decide for themselves if they think I'm right. But right up front, this isn't a defense, it's a stab at an explanation. You could agree with what I think here and still think that this was a bad approach.

Gute is collecting the pieces that LaFleur wants/needs to run his offense

Greg Cosell was on with Ross Tucker today talking about the first round. He said that he believes Jordan Love to be an ideal fit (stylistically-- obviously we don't know yet if he will be good) for LaFleur's offense. He suggested that perhaps LaFleur was asking for an heir apparent who would do a more faithful job to run the offense as it was called, rather than ad lib or go off-script. I think that's a good guess at the motivation, as well as just the realities that Rodgers turns 37 this year and they must really like Love.

Before coming to Green Bay, LaFleur's offense really started to click in Tennessee when they got Derrick Henry rolling in the running game. The presence of a hulking, one cut runner with breakaway speed provided the foundation for the heavy play action offense that he wants to run. In terms of style, size, and athleticism, A.J. Dillon is as close to Henry as you will find anywhere. I am not saying he's as good-- I don't know that. But he is a shockingly close facsimile, who we can guess he wants to use in the same way.

One of LaFleur's "cousins" in his coaching family tree is Kyle Shanahan. Shanahan uses a fullback far more than normal in today's NFL. One of the ways he's so effective with it is by employing a guy, Kyle Juszczyk, who is a legitimate threat as a receiver, but who can also block the run. This allows him to run or pass effectively out of the same personnel, without subbing out and telegraphing run/pass to the defense. LaFleur tried to turn Vitale into that guy last year and it didn't work. He wasn't that good of a blocker and he didn't excel in his opportunities to win in the passing game. Josiah Deguara profiles to that role.

So again, I'm not telling anyone this is a great draft, a terrible draft, one they should be excited for, or one they should quit the Packers over. But it went off script early and has stayed that way and I think I know why they've made the decisions that they've made.

I really like the A.J. Dillon pick. I see them going to a more run heavy offense with Jones and Dillon getting more Carrie's th as n the Pack has handed out to RB's in many years. But not taking a receiver in a draft that was touted as the best in years for receivers, was stunning. This team was a division champ and a win from the Super Bowl. They needed a couple wide receivers and to bolster a defense that couldn't stop the run. I don't think they did a good job of shoring up those deficiencies to compete for a title in the short term. What they did, was more along the lines of building for the future.....long term.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on, trust me, I understand THIS draft not lining up with fans expectations at all but stuff like this drives me nuts. Outside of Jimmy Graham being paid too much for only decent numbers He's had a decent and a very good draft and absolutely nailed 3 top flight Free agent players that absolutely fit their production and their contract. If you think he has no idea what he's doing, you're a fool.

I get that draft picks are leaving people scratching their heads, that happens when reality doesn't match up with your expectations, but is it because Gute has no idea what he's doing, or you don't have any idea what he's doing? There's a difference.
That’s well said Mondio. Dantes summary is pretty much spot on (even though, IMO, he reached at #2 and #3). We won’t know for a few years if this draft was any good, same as any draft.

On a related subject, I don’t think Rodgers has become uncoachable. Going to a run-heavy, RPO offense should actually help Rodgers - from a production standpoint as well as personal stats. He can still throw 30 to 35 TDs in a run-heavy scheme, IF he has productive receivers in the red zone. That last point can be argued, and Gluten did nothing to address it in the draft.

So it seems that Gluten and MLF think they have the WR group they need to be successful. Ever the doubter, I’ll believe that when it happens.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one will know until they get into camp, evaluate each of these guys against what they have already and determine what they need. At the same time, they needed LB and did not apparently fill that gap, they needed OL (the guys they took in FA are questionable at best in terms of capability), they needed up front DL playmakers and did not get one or two. Whenever the season starts, no one will know whether this draft was OK, Good or Bust until they start playing the games. It does seem as though a team one game (and quite a bit of talent) away from SB did not take the step(s) they needed to get there this year. Wait and see!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

No one will know until they get into camp, evaluate each of these guys against what they have already and determine what they need. At the same time, they needed LB and did not apparently fill that gap, they needed OL (the guys they took in FA are questionable at best in terms of capability), they needed up front DL playmakers and did not get one or two. Whenever the season starts, no one will know whether this draft was OK, Good or Bust until they start playing the games. It does seem as though a team one game (and quite a bit of talent) away from SB did not take the step(s) they needed to get there this year. Wait and see!

David, there is no place here for logical thinking. Please stop or you`ll make a name for yourself.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Given the fact gute and mlf KNEW how much crap they were going to get picking Love, the logical thought is they really like this guy for what ever reason.

read it again..

You trade for this guy
You know media and fans will have a crap fest over it
You know it probably will **** off Rodgers or at least make him question the organization

But you still trade for him

Why

Reaction score
I'm going to suggest a thought at to what Gutekunst is doing in this draft, and people can decide for themselves if they think I'm right. But right up front, this isn't a defense, it's a stab at an explanation. You could agree with what I think here and still think that this was a bad approach.

Greg Cosell was on with Ross Tucker today talking about the first round. He said that he believes Jordan Love to be an ideal fit (stylistically-- obviously we don't know yet if he will be good) for LaFleur's offense. He suggested that perhaps LaFleur was asking for an heir apparent who would do a more faithful job to run the offense as it was called, rather than ad lib or go off-script. I think that's a good guess at the motivation, as well as just the realities that Rodgers turns 37 this year and they must really like Love.

Before coming to Green Bay, LaFleur's offense really started to click in Tennessee when they got Derrick Henry rolling in the running game. The presence of a hulking, one cut runner with breakaway speed provided the foundation for the heavy play action offense that he wants to run. In terms of style, size, and athleticism, A.J. Dillon is as close to Henry as you will find anywhere. I am not saying he's as good-- I don't know that. But he is a shockingly close facsimile, who we can guess he wants to use in the same way.

One of LaFleur's "cousins" in his coaching family tree is Kyle Shanahan. Shanahan uses a fullback far more than normal in today's NFL. One of the ways he's so effective with it is by employing a guy, Kyle Juszczyk, who is a legitimate threat as a receiver, but who can also block the run. This allows him to run or pass effectively out of the same personnel, without subbing out and telegraphing run/pass to the defense. LaFleur tried to turn Vitale into that guy last year and it didn't work. He wasn't that good of a blocker and he didn't excel in his opportunities to win in the passing game. Josiah Deguara profiles to that role.

So again, I'm not telling anyone this is a great draft, a terrible draft, one they should be excited for, or one they should quit the Packers over. But it went off script early and has stayed that way and I think I know why they've made the decisions that they've made.

Scott Spurgeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Scott Spurgeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is alot of CYA going on and there is no way to put a good spin on this extremely bad draft. Gute is over his head and if he agree to give LaFluer these very poor tool in rounds 2-7, both should be shown the door. The facts dont change, we were 2-3 players away from the superbowl. GB could have got those tools in round 1-3. I wasn't impressed by the last draft either. This poor player selection and development is a rend, and it is not up.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like the A.J. Dillon pick. I see them going to a more run heavy offense with Jones and Dillon getting more Carrie's th as n the Pack has handed out to RB's in many years. But not taking a receiver in a draft that was touted as the best in years for receivers, was stunning. This team was a division champ and a win from the Super Bowl. They needed a couple wide receivers and to bolster a defense that couldn't stop the run. I don't think they did a good job of shoring up those deficiencies to compete for a title in the short term. What they did, was more along the lines of building for the future.....long term.

You can say not drafting a wr was surprising but the Packers brass has come out and said after the top few guys they were not nearly as impressed with the wrs and didnt feel like most of them were even locks to make the team. They really like the top and then felt like it dropped off after that. It is pretty clear that to them the top was the top 3 because reports they were trying to trade to spot 21 to get love. At that point Jefferson and Auyiuk were still on the board.

Green Bay wanted to upgrade at WR in the offseason. They tried to get Sanders but he picked the Saints.

This team should still be favorites to be division champs. The Vikings did not get better even with a good draft. Jefferson wont match Diggs production. They lost their top 3 cbs. They lost players at other spots as well. The Bears and Lions just are not that scary.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can say not drafting a wr was surprising but the Packers brass has come out and said after the top few guys they were not nearly as impressed with the wrs and didnt feel like most of them were even locks to make the team. They really like the top and then felt like it dropped off after that. It is pretty clear that to them the top was the top 3 because reports they were trying to trade to spot 21 to get love. At that point Jefferson and Auyiuk were still on the board.

Green Bay wanted to upgrade at WR in the offseason. They tried to get Sanders but he picked the Saints.

This team should still be favorites to be division champs. The Vikings did not get better even with a good draft. Jefferson wont match Diggs production. They lost their top 3 cbs. They lost players at other spots as well. The Bears and Lions just are not that scary.

Great, we can win the division for the millionth time... But competing in the playoffs with the likes of Dallas, Tampa, New Orleans, San Francisco, Seattle is going to be that much harder considering we stood still this offseason (so far). Obviously there's plenty of time until the season (if there is one) starts, and San Fran was able to bolster their WR corps mid-season last year, so plenty can change.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Given the fact gute and mlf KNEW how much crap they were going to get picking Love, the logical thought is they really like this guy for what ever reason.

read it again..

You trade for this guy
You know it probably will **** off Rodgers or at least make him question the organization

Why

Oh, I know!

I've been reading this forum very carefully, and here are the multiple choice options:

a) Gute/LaFleur want the team to fail.
b) Gute/LaFleur didn't actually prepare for the draft and pulled a name out of a hat.
c) Gute/LaFleur are not as adept at reading nfl.com reports as CanadaCheese.
d) EVERYTHING SUCKS AND I HATE IT AND THIS DIDNT MEET MY EXPECTATIONS!!!!!

Scott Spurgeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Rodgers was of course not a mistake. We want the best QB we can have. Because you think it is not tailored to his strengths, does not make it so. His scrambling abilities seemed to take a sharp hit last year. He will play best off of play action going forward. We had no idea we would be selecting a QB this draft and anyway, this new QB will benefit from sitting on the bench two or three years. Hopefully ARod can stay healthy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is alot of CYA going on and there is no way to put a good spin on this extremely bad draft. Gute is over his head and if he agree to give LaFluer these very poor tool in rounds 2-7, both should be shown the door. The facts dont change, we were 2-3 players away from the superbowl. GB could have got those tools in round 1-3. I wasn't impressed by the last draft either. This poor player selection and development is a rend, and it is not up.
not impressed by the last draft? what are you expecting? Gary is unknown at this point. Lots of talent, remains to be seen on production. Savage was an excellent pick. Easily most complete safety since Collins and is well on his way to being very very good already. Jenkins? absolute knockout pick. he was probably one of the best picks in the entire draft by anyone going of actual rookie year production.

There's plenty to like about some others heading into year 2. Sternberger, Keke showed flashes. Holdman. They have to get better, every rookie usually faces that and it remains to be seen if they're just potential or they equal actual production. The signs are there, but we'll see.

Just Savage and Jenkins make that draft a really good one. I don't know what your expectations are out of a draft, but anytime you get 2 guys that produce at that level for their respective positions as rookies, it's damn good draft no matter who you are.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on, trust me, I understand THIS draft not lining up with fans expectations at all but stuff like this drives me nuts. Outside of Jimmy Graham being paid too much for only decent numbers He's had a decent and a very good draft and absolutely nailed 3 top flight Free agent players that absolutely fit their production and their contract. If you think he has no idea what he's doing, you're a fool.

I get that draft picks are leaving people scratching their heads, that happens when reality doesn't match up with your expectations, but is it because Gute has no idea what he's doing, or you don't have any idea what he's doing? There's a difference.
Said it else where

but knowing how bad they would catch crap from media and fans they still traded up for a qb

that takes BALLS.. grandes cojones

the answer is WE don’t know what they are doing

If WE We’re so good WE would be working for an NFL team

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just looked this up and posted it elsewhere, but I'm going to repeat it here.

Running backs draft Pick #136 and later:
  • Deejay Dallas, MIA
  • Jason Huntley, NMSU
  • Eno Benjamin, ASU
  • Raymond Calais, LA
  • Malcolm Perry, NAVY
Tight ends draft pick #136 and later:
  • Brycen Hopkins, PUR
  • Charlie Woerner, UGA
  • Tyler Davis, GTU
  • Stephen Sullivan, LSU
So I am going to need people to shut up about how the Packers could have taken Dillon and Deguara in the later rounds. Turns out, you literally don't have a clue.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quick comparison with Lacy, they're completely different apart from the number on the scale. Dillon has quite a bit of lower body explosion, that 11 foot broad jump shows up on tape. While he's about the same weight as Lacy he's a naturally bigger man, a much tighter 250 and a much faster athlete. He doesnt have the feet and shuffling ability that Lacy had and I doubt that he'll be as crafty setting up his blocks, he's more of a one cut and up runner. Give him a couple of gaps to choose and then let him rip.

I for one like how fast he gets to and through the line on draw plays. When he gets to his gap he's coming with power and authority. He should be a better compliment for what Rodgers wants to do than either Jones or Williams. Dillon will create space in spread offenses, and slow down the rush, by just being on the field.

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just looked this up and posted it elsewhere, but I'm going to repeat it here.

Running backs draft Pick #136 and later:
  • Deejay Dallas, MIA
  • Jason Huntley, NMSU
  • Eno Benjamin, ASU
  • Raymond Calais, LA
  • Malcolm Perry, NAVY
Tight ends draft pick #136 and later:
  • Brycen Hopkins, PUR
  • Charlie Woerner, UGA
  • Tyler Davis, GTU
  • Stephen Sullivan, LSU
So I am going to need people to shut up about how the Packers could have taken Dillon and Deguara in the later rounds. Turns out, you literally don't have a clue.
I agree that I don't have a clue. I didn't see this coming and it is not what I would have done. Thats why I run restaurants and trust the Packers Brass to do what they do.

That said I really like the triple dip in OL in the sixth.

Time will tell.

GO PACK GO!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

read it again..

You trade for this guy

Why
There's no doubt that they knew what this would turn into. Not saying it's right or wrong based on the backlash, just saying they were fully aware, and prepared, to take a prolonged beating over it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no doubt that they knew what this would turn into. Not saying it's right or wrong based on the backlash, just saying they were fully aware, and prepared, to take a prolonged beating over it.
So are you in mind set of they don't know what they are doing or they know

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As the Tweet says, I think Nagler did hit it on the head with this. I would have also added that while some might think this move is a year or 2 early, it was an inevitable move. This may be the Packers only swing at replacing Rodgers or it might be one of many, but it was coming.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found an interesting take on another forum I post on (I hope it is okay for me to put this link in here, I'm not sure how to insert the clip alone in here by another method) - Footballs Future. It is a clip of the Doug Gottlieb radio show and his take on our draft. The clip is near the bottom of the page.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/27529-packers-qb-situation/?page=15

Members online

Latest posts