The Offensive Scheme Must Change

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a rough stretch yesterday, but for the most part, you cannot put his poor stats on him. The receivers AREN'T GETTING OPEN!

ISO routes should be completely eliminated from the route tree, except for when a advantageous matchup presents itself. The old saying "if you give him all day, he'll pick you apart" doesn't apply, because the receivers are blanketed no matter what. That much protection and barely being able to muster 200 yards is pathetic. It's fun to show of the statistics of the pass protection, but when he only gets 2.5 seconds or less against good defenses, we don't stand a chance.

The playcaller, whoever he may be, only seems to want to relive the glory days of the offense instead of playing to its current strengths. Rodgers must be a game manager, as tough as that is to swallow. Nelson still doesn't seem 100%, and while Cobb seems to be doing much better than last year, nobody else can justify the gunslinging identity they are trying to take on. R. Rodgers is still the slowest TE on the planet, and I like the improvement out of Adams, but they still seem like they're trying to do too much in the passing game. Less can absolutely be more.

Our young defense is absolutely kicking butt, but I fear their effort will be wasted by the time the season is over. If this weren't the case, and this were any other team, the OC would have been fired already, if not years ago.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to get back to playing like a true west coast offense. Get people open quickly. Get guys in motion to get the free release. And Rodgers has to plant his feet at his drop and get rid of it. Take the completion and keep the ball moving. Stop with looking for the big play so often. Big plays break when you frustrate a defense into trying to do too much. This will keep him from getting hit too often, too.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to get back to playing like a true west coast offense. Get people open quickly. Get guys in motion to get the free release. And Rodgers has to plant his feet at his drop and get rid of it. Take the completion and keep the ball moving. Stop with looking for the big play so often. Big plays break when you frustrate a defense into trying to do too much. This will keep him from getting hit too often, too.
I think that's more of a knock against the play calling. Most of the routes are designed to go for "the big play", and are fairly basic. No man-beater routes against man coverage, and the screen plays have also been non-existent. And where is Montgomery in the passing game? I wouldn't mind if i never saw another handoff to him or Cobb again. Have some actual creativity.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the scheme needs to change to not allow dropped passes. Maybe Rodgers should run down the field and hand it to receivers instead of throwing it?

The point is the offense put up 400 yards and without some drops and other poor execution, they would have had 35ish points.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Receivers are not getting open on deep routes. Cobb was getting open on his crossing routes and quick throws. It was shocking to see Rodgers not have anyone to throw to even when he had 5 or 6 seconds. That should not happen in the NFL. It does not bode well for the future. The TE position with RR is a joke.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Receivers are not getting open on deep routes. Cobb was getting open on his crossing routes and quick throws. It was shocking to see Rodgers not have anyone to throw to even when he had 5 or 6 seconds. That should not happen in the NFL. It does not bode well for the future. The TE position with RR is a joke.

Was really hoping RR would develop a backbone during this offseason, but on top of being slow, he still gets absolutely bowled over by anyone that touches him. Drives me nuts watching him.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The playcaller, whoever he may be, only seems to want to relive the glory days of the offense instead of playing to its current strengths.
You consider yourself a Packers fan yet you don't know who the play caller on offense is? This just has to be rhetorical.
If this weren't the case, and this were any other team, the OC would have been fired already, if not years ago.
The OC does the weekly game plan. The HEAD COACH approves it and does the actual play calling. Seven consecutive playoffs with several top five offenses has earned him a long leash from the front office.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offensive line has been amazing in pass protection. It's true that there's no excuse for not being able to find open receivers after 5-7 seconds. I haven't really looked deep into the film to see whether that is simply on the receivers not being open, or Rodgers making poor reads and passing up open looks, or a combination of both.

Generally speaking, Nelson and Cobb are pretty highly thought of receivers around the league and were the same top 2 receivers when we had an amazing offense in 2014. It's hard for me to believe they just suddenly lost the ability to separate.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that I would like the coaching staff to use more man-beater routes to get receivers open. It's too early to panic about the offensive production though as the unit has mostly started slow under McCarthy and Rodgers. The 2014 team that led the league in scoring at the end of that season averaged 23 points over the first four games, the current one has scored 24.5 points per game as of now.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for the quick 8 - 10 yard pass & catch to keep the chains moving up field. I feel like they get in sync with some quick completions and keeps the opponents D on the field (hopefully becoming exhausted!). Sooner or later Aaron will find Jordy or Cobb down field for a big gain. The offense is just too beige.
DS

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that I would like the coaching staff to use more man-beater routes to get receivers open. It's too early to panic about the offensive production though as the unit has mostly started slow under McCarthy and Rodgers. The 2014 team that led the league in scoring at the end of that season averaged 23 points over the first four games, the current one has scored 24.5 points per game as of now.
I think the offense was overrated that year, as they have been most years, and just stacked up points against weak teams and struggled against tough competition. Which offense showed up against Seattle in the playoffs, the one who scored 55 against Chicago, or the one who looked quite average against Seattle in the regular season?

I hope things work out, but I'm fearing a similar ending as previous years. Maybe the defense is actually good enough this year, but good teams have always been able to sniff out the passing game, and now it seems that almost every team can.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the offense was overrated that year, as they have been most years, and just stacked up points against weak teams and struggled against tough competition. Which offense showed up against Seattle in the playoffs, the one who scored 55 against Chicago, or the one who looked quite average against Seattle in the regular season?

It's true that the Packers offense has scored less points on average against good defenses than bad ones since the start of the 2011 season but that's to be expected.

The team has faced a total of 23 defenses that finished the season in the top 10 in scoring over that period scoring an average of 22.2 points compared to 29.7 against all other opponents. You have to realize that those teams have given up an average of only 17.9 points on average though. Therefore the Packers have fared better against elite competition than other teams.

Overall the team is 7-16 in those games but the defense deserves some blame for that as well, allowing an average of 25.4 points compared to 21.8 in all other contests.

As a side note, it's interesting that the Packers record setting 2011 offense didn't face a single defense that finished within the top 10 scoring units while last year's team that struggled had to play eight games against opponents that finished in the top seven in points allowed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts