The New Look Badgers - 2023

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think this WR has been smoking something?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I think this WR has been smoking something?

Well, that is just a teammate backing their QB.

This is much more of an accurate assessment: https://www.onlygators.com/04/13/20...offense-still-struggling-in-orange-blue-game/

"Redshirt junior transfer quarterback Graham Mertz, who led the starting Orange offense but saw action on both teams, completed 18 of 29 passes for 244 yards and a touchdown. He was sacked on two of his first three plays from scrimmage, threw numerous passes underneath receivers and got rattled when under pressure — just as the scouting report from Wisconsin indicated."

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand all of what was indicated here. Teammate having his QB's back. Visually different look by person watching him, and the jitters. New system, new coaches, wondering if he lost that internal swagger that makes a QB special. Then the original assessment, which pretty much sees it in perspective.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

"This guy is going to play a big role in determining the outcome of the Big Ten West this year."
Hard not to be an upgrade over Mertz and many of the other QB's that have played for the Badgers. I have always said it, if the Badgers can combine a good passing game with their usually great rushing game, they are going to be dangerous. New Badger OC Longo as me really excited for this season as well.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes this upcoming season so exciting is that we have no idea how it's all going to play out. The hype surrounding this team is amazing! I don't think I've ever seen it this intense.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Already got my tickets to the Buffalo game. The wife is gone that weekend, so I'm heading down to Madison with my son. Tailgating and Badgers football!
I'm jealous! I'll be down here in Texas, about 23 miles away from Memorial Stadium in Austin.

Krabs

Reaction score

They also got this guy to flip. He's a three star, but his brother plays in the NFL. He has the caliber.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

They also got this guy to flip. He's a three star, but his brother plays in the NFL. He has the caliber.
Saw that on the local news. He is going to wrestle for the Badgers too. The name "Mike Daniels" immediately popped into my head. A former Packer DL who was a solid NFL player, that often attributed his skills to his days as a wrestler.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Badgers land a big time 4 star recruit, EDGE Anelu Lafaele.

Absolutely love the reveal!

Excellent. Great news!

Here is the greatest commitment announcement of all time:

I believe the commitment itself will garner additional commitments.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite a celebration. Quite a catch for the Badgers. The future looks bright for Bucky.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Excellent. Great news!

LOL....they brought in a "fake Bucky"....but still a fun announcement.

Krabs

Reaction score
Excellent. Great news!

I saw that one too. Made a spectacle of it, but I'm okay with it. This is all lining up for the Badgers to be good right now and into the future.

Krabs

Reaction score
Looking at some rankings off 247 sports shows the Badgers class of 2023 isn't great. It's solid, but not great. They rank them at 58th in the nation. The class has three 4 stars and twelve 3 stars. They do however rank 27th in the transfer portal with two 4 stars and eleven 3 stars. Seems like a good mix to make for a solid run at the West.

Now, the 2024 class is lining up to be much better. They rank 19th overall with six 4 stars and thirteen 3 stars. Look for the Badgers to be rolling in the B1G in 2025 and beyond. This is some fun stuff to watch play out.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite a celebration. Quite a catch for the Badgers. The future looks bright for Bucky.

Looking at some rankings off 247 sports shows the Badgers class of 2023 isn't great. It's solid, but not great. They rank them at 58th in the nation. The class has three 4 stars and twelve 3 stars. They do however rank 27th in the transfer portal with two 4 stars and eleven 3 stars. Seems like a good mix to make for a solid run at the West.

Now, the 2024 class is lining up to be much better. They rank 19th overall with six 4 stars and thirteen 3 stars. Look for the Badgers to be rolling in the B1G in 2025 and beyond. This is some fun stuff to watch play out.
Absolutely. This coming year is the start. It won't be a record breaking year, but will show some indications of the future. I'd be happy with 9 wins. Eight will be a darned good start.

Krabs

Reaction score
Absolutely. This coming year is the start. It won't be a record breaking year, but will show some indications of the future. I'd be happy with 9 wins. Eight will be a darned good start.
I actually think they have a pretty good shot at ten wins. Buffalo, Washington St., GA Southern, Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, and Nebraska. I expect wins in. That's nine wins. Iowa, Ohio State and MN, will be the tough games. I don't think Illinois is the gimme like it used to be, but I do expect a win. I think they can beat Iowa at home and the offense will put up more points this season. I have a hard time seeing them beat Ohio St. They are just a machine right now. MN is always tough, but I think they walk away with a victory there. I think ten wins is very attainable. Regardless, I like what is going on and would be pretty satisfied with an 8-10 win team. Below 8, I'd be a bit disappointed.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I actually think they have a pretty good shot at ten wins. Buffalo, Washington St., GA Southern, Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, and Nebraska. I expect wins in. That's nine wins. Iowa, Ohio State and MN, will be the tough games. I don't think Illinois is the gimme like it used to be, but I do expect a win. I think they can beat Iowa at home and the offense will put up more points this season. I have a hard time seeing them beat Ohio St. They are just a machine right now. MN is always tough, but I think they walk away with a victory there. I think ten wins is very attainable. Regardless, I like what is going on and would be pretty satisfied with an 8-10 win team. Below 8, I'd be a bit disappointed.
Agree.

This is about as favorable of a schedule that the Badgers will see. I agree with your assessment that their 3 toughest games with be against Iowa, OSU and MN. However, with the first 2 of those 3 games, being at Camp Randall, I think they win at least 1 of those. If they roll into Minnesota sitting at 11-1, look out Gophers. I actually think a game that can't be overlooked is their second game of the season @ Washington State Cougars. This will be a good litmus test, for both teams.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is the recruiting class for Jim Leonard and Chryst. I think the reason Leonard wasn't retained is because of recruitment.

Frickell will get the ball rolling. He will need to show some success with the Badgers to get things rolling. I don't think we will recognize the new team in scheme and atmosphere. I, ever the optimist, anticipate a big year for the Badgers. We have some impactful players through the portal that will have us playing better earlier than many think possible.

He started with less in Cincinnati and had them contending for national championship in his 5th season. They went 4-8 his first season and 11-2 the next.

I expect at about 10 wins this season. Will be attending my first game since I graduated. Will be my wife's first.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I laugh at the 58th ranking.

Maybe I am too much of a homer, but I think that rating was a result of putting way too much weight on what the Badgers did last season. They fired Chryst for a few reasons, two of the biggest were his scouting and coaching. Although we won't really get to see the full evidence of just how good the new coaching staff is with scouting until 2024 and beyond, we should see a much improved coaching staff, as well as a better QB and WR group. Chryst was a super loyal and likable guy and always wanted to be seen as the "good guy". Great attribute for most, but not really for a HC in the Big10. The head coach needs to do what is best for the program, not for individuals or even because "it was the right thing to do." Guess what I am saying is that while PC is a great guy, I just don't think he had the chops for what college HC's at the top of the food chain now possess.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I laugh at the 58th ranking.

Maybe I am too much of a homer, but I think that rating was a result of putting way too much weight on what the Badgers did last season. They fired Chryst for a few reasons, two of the biggest were his scouting and coaching. Although we won't really get to see the full evidence of just how good the new coaching staff is with scouting until 2024 and beyond, we should see a much improved coaching staff, as well as a better QB and WR group. Chryst was a super loyal and likable guy and always wanted to be seen as the "good guy". Great attribute for most, but not really for a HC in the Big10. The head coach needs to do what is best for the program, not for individuals or even because "it was the right thing to do." Guess what I am saying is that while PC is a great guy, I just don't think he had the chops for what college HC's at the top of the food chain now possess.
I agree that they're putting way too much emphasis on last year's failures, to compare this year's team. Yet, it's a new system, on both sides of the ball, and a lot of new guys being plugged in to positions, that haven't played together. It takes a little time to get everyone on the same page.

I'm a believer that if you set the bar at a realistic level, it makes recruiting easier down the road. If you send a message that not winning 10 or 11 games is failure, would-be recruits head elsewhere. In today's game, only two things matter to recruits. NIL money and the notoriety from playing for a program that's on the right track. Playing for an underachiever isn't in the best interests of 4 and 5 star recruits.

If they get that 10th win, and nobody expected more than 8, it says that this coaching staff knows how to turn kids into top players. If you only win 8, and people are saying they could have, or should have won 10, you're saying the coaches failed.

In the back of my mind, I see a possibility of more than 8. But, everything above that is pure gravy, and more accolades for the program, coaches, and school. I want that recognition, to draw in more NIL money, and exposure, so the Badgers can recruit on the top step, not halfway down the ladder. I'm waiting for the rush of 5 star recruits to head to Madison. It could be coming, but not yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts