The New Look Badgers - 2023

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The run/pass ratio will be determined by the read of the defense across the line of scimmage. Since the majority of plays will be run from a shot-gun formation, with one or two players as WRs or RBs back with the QB, they can choose either, with every play. The ability of the QB to decipher which priority is out there for the defense, and choose the opposite.

Since the Badgers are already a power running team, that won't change. But the results should. They'll get a better return on each run, maybe as much as 1 or 2 yards per carry more, than in the past. When the defense clamps down, and they start seeing 8 or 9 in the box, the ball is definitely going over the top. The key is having a QB who understands the system, and knows how to read those defenses, and exploit them.

This is the kind of offense that can even get the upper hand on a defensive giant like OSU at times, simply by out-scheming them, and putting up enough points to challenge them.

I think we're going to see roughly a 57-60% pass percentage in 2023, possibly even a little less, because there will be holes for our RBs to exploit. Of course, I'm basing this on the fact that the QBs we'll be seeing have already proven they can work in this particular offense.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting read on one of the new Badger QB's, Tanner Mordecai:

I think he will be this seasons starter and give Evers and others a chance to learn the offense and grow.
That seemed to be the plan. It gives Evers a chance to become proficient in the system, through practice. Tanner is already proficient in it, and can step in as a veteran type player.

This coming season could turn the entire recruitment issue into something that will favor the Badgers enormously, if they show immediate results on offense. Now, the question remains, can Tressel bring the defense up to speed to create a juggernaut out of the Badgers? I dunno about anyone else, but I have my fingers crossed.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
No surprise here, Wolf must have seen us all gushing about the new QB's! :roflmao:

He did state that he was coming back. That he wasn't in a hurry to graduate and that this time in his life won't last long. Wonder if he went into the portal.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Leonhard remains unattached as most of the "prime" coaching gigs get filled. UW will be paying him $1mil IF he doesn't coach in the FBS or NFL in '23. Will being "out of the loop" for a year hurt is hire-ability in '24?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this stings! The new coaching staff hasn't even coached a game yet and they are already getting poached!

I'm not certain he was his top assistant to be honest. His coaching position was even less than it was before. I have a hunch that the only reason he was given that job was because of his loyalty to Fickell in the past. Luke probably told him it was fine if he found another job somewhere else that was better. I think he'd hoped he'd be Fickell's offensive coordinator, and was far from that.

His recruiting was totally Midwest, but effective. The thing is, there are a couple of other big time Midwest recruiters in the mix of coaches, even after the change. It wasn't that concerning.

It does speak highly of the coaches Fickell is bringing in. Other programs want them too.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Leonhard remains unattached as most of the "prime" coaching gigs get filled. UW will be paying him $1mil IF he doesn't coach in the FBS or NFL in '23. Will being "out of the loop" for a year hurt is hire-ability in '24?
I think he'll be fine. There are probably a lot of offers already on the table, that he's not discussing. There will be more.

What the Badgers need to be concerned about now, is the fact that they have too many scholarships given out starting next semester. They need to shed somewhere between 5 and 10 of them, to stay within the NCAA limits. There will be some natural attrition, and I think a few players will be told that they might want to try going through the portal in the next wave, so they can even have a shot at dressing for games, or even potentially losing their scholarships.

We have to remember that a scholarship can be taken away, since they aren't guaranteed for an entire 4-5 year cycle.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The UW agreed to pay him $1 Million from this March until Jan. 24th in equal installments. However, if he takes a job within the NFL or the Football Bowl subdivision, he will loose a specified amount of that money.

If I had to guess, it isn't because teams aren't approaching Leonhard to interview for jobs, but more him wanting to spend a year with his young family, decompress from football and "coast" a bit on the million he is getting from the UW.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The UW agreed to pay him $1 Million from this March until Jan. 24th in equal installments. However, if he takes a job within the NFL or the Football Bowl subdivision, he will loose a specified amount of that money.

If I had to guess, it isn't because teams aren't approaching Leonhard to interview for jobs, but more him wanting to spend a year with his young family, decompress from football and "coast" a bit on the million he is getting from the UW.
I could do a lot of "coasting" for a million dollars to play house with my wife. :)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I could do a lot of "coasting" for a million dollars to play house with my wife. :)
Considering his full time pay as DC was $1.5M that wasn't a bad severance pay. Guessing that between his 10 year NFL career and 7 years as an assistant coach for the Badgers, he could comfortably retire. It will be interesting to see what he does, I hope he continues to do whatever he loves the most.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
This is kind of a good read.

A big winner in the offseason. I'm hoping it translates to the field.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again, I was not a Chryst hater, but this guy shows so much more emotion. Even in the presser you can tell the excitement this guy has.
Agree. Chryst was not very good in front of a camera. While I think he was a decent coach, he seemed to lack the true fire and enthusiasm that Fickell and other successful coaches seem to have. I believe that it is that emotion that gets other coaches and players fired up and wanting to raise their energy and efforts as well.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fickell is a real breath of fresh air. The culture change that has come with him, and his staff, was necessary. We'd ended up in too much of a "good old boy" society, and we all know where that ends.

Chryst lacked in areas that are essential to run a dynamic program capable of battling for a national championship. It was good enough to be a decent player in the Western half of the Big 10, but not a challenge to teams like Penn St, OSU, or Michigan. That's now, no longer the case. They could be come a competitor, over the next few years.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This 4 star recruit for the 2024 class would be an excellent commitment and show that the new coaching staff didn't miss a beat with local talent, as well as the big and talented Offensive Linemen that Wisconsin seems to alway produce.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Strebig sounds like he's ready to be a Badger. I like that. He could be a good one.
He's a mountain for sure. As a sophomore, he was listed at 6' 7" and 280# and probably still growing and filling out. I just did a simple Google search on him and WOW....everyone is trying to land this big fish!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this kid learns how to "dance" on the field, in other words develops his footwork, he could become another Joe Thomas type. He's going to be more than big enough, and with work will definitely be strong enough. It's going to be up to him if he uses four years in Madison to become a decade long performer in the NFL.

He has been gifted with the size, so now it's up to him, and the people who will mold him through the rest of his HS days. I have a hunch he's going to be one of those early arrivals in Madison, by graduating early, and can participate in spring ball so he's prepared in the fall when the team hits the field to take care of business.

I'm really high on what Fickell and his staff have done recruiting. I'm also seeing why they aren't concerned about having enough scholarships available. There will be a few players, from the past, who will opt to visit the portal, because they see their team involvement reduced significantly, and possibly, completely. It will all balance out when the time comes.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If this kid learns how to "dance" on the field, in other words develops his footwork, he could become another Joe Thomas type. He's going to be more than big enough, and with work will definitely be strong enough. It's going to be up to him if he uses four years in Madison to become a decade long performer in the NFL.

He has been gifted with the size, so now it's up to him, and the people who will mold him through the rest of his HS days. I have a hunch he's going to be one of those early arrivals in Madison, by graduating early, and can participate in spring ball so he's prepared in the fall when the team hits the field to take care of business.

I'm really high on what Fickell and his staff have done recruiting. I'm also seeing why they aren't concerned about having enough scholarships available. There will be a few players, from the past, who will opt to visit the portal, because they see their team involvement reduced significantly, and possibly, completely. It will all balance out when the time comes.
Agree on it all, although I doubt we have Strebig for more than 3 years (IF he becomes a Badger). If he has early success, it will be on to the next level and millions.

Agree on Fickell and the state of the program. Of course, they haven't played a down yet, but the more I read about the talent that has already come in or possibly committing to come in, the more I like. Now if they do have early success on the field, that should make the ball roll even faster towards the top of the hill. One new thing I see with the program, a lot more advertising and chatter about future recruits. Hype sells fans and potential recruits. Also, doesn't hurt when you can start talking about 4 star recruits having the Badgers on their lists or even better, committing to the program. Success breeds success.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was disappointed that Jim Leonard didn't get the HC gig. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for everything he has done and who he is as a person.

That being said, I am very excited for the Fickell regime. The man did an impressive job at Cincinnati. I am surprised at the talent that he has brought in. I think the program is going to expand in the next few years. An appealing offensive style. More wins. And this will fuel better and better recruits. Can we contend for a national championship? The answer has always been "No". But now? It's at least a possibility.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was disappointed that Jim Leonard didn't get the HC gig. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for everything he has done and who he is as a person.

That being said, I am very excited for the Fickell regime. The man did an impressive job at Cincinnati. I am surprised at the talent that he has brought in. I think the program is going to expand in the next few years. An appealing offensive style. More wins. And this will fuel better and better recruits. Can we contend for a national championship? The answer has always been "No". But now? It's at least a possibility.
I love what Jim brought to the Badgers. But, in all honesty, he wasn't prepared to bring the boom to the Badgers like Fickell can. Down the road, with a little more experience, and developing his own level, he may well be the guy. In fact, I don't believe Fickell is going to stay in GB Madison more than about 4-5 years.

When the Fickell era ends, maybe it will be time for the Jim Leonard era in Madison. By then, he will probably have built up experiences in the nuances of top level DI coaching that Chryst failed to bring to the table, and couldn't pass on, to guys like Jim.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts