The New Look Badgers - 2023

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting as to how high they have gone, considering they were even late coming to the party. They've done well.
Agreed on how late Fickell and his staff started the process. Less than a month and a half ago and during Dec and early January, a time when things shut down a bit for colleges and student athletes.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well these would be two awesome additions to the 2024 class!

The staff is still working on a few last minute transfers...

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

Yeah, that would be great. It would be pretty cool to land Powell as well. As the article stated, we don't need corners, but that would add some serious depth and experience. Let's go!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If all those players join the Badgers, it would be amazing. Whether people believe it or not, this may be the first time in history that the Badgers have been so focused on recruiting that they might pull these guys into Madison, instead of losing them to the glitzy programs. Imagine it coming true, and then sit back and watch, because in two years, when the playoff goes to 12 teams, the Badgers might just be one of the teams in the hunt for a national title.

Krabs

Reaction score
If all those players join the Badgers, it would be amazing. Whether people believe it or not, this may be the first time in history that the Badgers have been so focused on recruiting that they might pull these guys into Madison, instead of losing them to the glitzy programs. Imagine it coming true, and then sit back and watch, because in two years, when the playoff goes to 12 teams, the Badgers might just be one of the teams in the hunt for a national title.
That would be spectacular if they made the 12 team playoffs.

Did they officially change the set up for the B1G? I know there was talk of just getting rid of the two divisions and having the two teams with the best record play in the conference championship.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be spectacular if they made the 12 team playoffs.

Did they officially change the set up for the B1G? I know there was talk of just getting rid of the two divisions and having the two teams with the best record play in the conference championship.
We're two years away from the 12 team playoff for the national title. It would include certain conference champions, and others, based on rankings. It's what should have existed a long time ago. It's going to be interesting watching how teams that nobody though were even in the hunt suddenly find themselves in the middle of things they only dreamed of in the past. The Badgers would be one of those teams. With the right moves, and a couple of good recruiting class, and you just don't know what will happen.

It's a great time to be on board with Bucky!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All I have heard/read, is that they are stopping (for now) at expanding to 16 teams (USC and UCLA joining in 2024). I don't think they have made a final decision on how the conference will actually look in 2024. Whether it will be one big division, still East and West or potentially 4 "pods". Personally, I like the 4 pods, kind of like the NFL. I saw this structure being thrown around:

Pod A: Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Rutgers
Pod B: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State
Pod C: Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Pod D: Minnesota, Nebraska, UCLA, USC

This could expand the Big10 Championship to 3 games. With the top team from each Pod getting in. More money for the Big10.

One thing that seems common, rivalry games will be maintained. So Michigan and OSU would always play, Badgers-Gophers, etc.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I have heard/read, is that they are stopping (for now) at expanding to 16 teams (USC and UCLA joining in 2024). I don't think they have made a final decision on how the conference will actually look in 2024. Whether it will be one big division, still East and West or potentially 4 "pods". Personally, I like the 4 pods, kind of like the NFL. I saw this structure being thrown around:

Pod A: Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Rutgers
Pod B: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State
Pod C: Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Pod D: Minnesota, Nebraska, UCLA, USC

This could expand the Big10 Championship to 3 games. With the top team from each Pod getting in. More money for the Big10.

One thing that seems common, rivalry games will be maintained. So Michigan and OSU would always play, Badgers-Gophers, etc.
I like that approach to the conference.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like that approach to the conference.
I do as well. Builds up real rivalries like we have with the Bears, Vikings and Lions. Gives more teams the chance to have a sensational season and win their pod. What are the odds of Indiana winning a 16 team division? Seems more muddled with 16 or even 8 in a division.

From what I can gather, they were favoring just 1 big conference and the Pod thing was gaining some steam in likability.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do as well. Builds up real rivalries like we have with the Bears, Vikings and Lions. Gives more teams the chance to have a sensational season and win their pod. What are the odds of Indiana winning a 16 team division? Seems more muddled with 16 or even 8 in a division.

From what I can gather, they were favoring just 1 big conference and the Pod thing was gaining some steam in likability.
If you go with the singular alignment, only the top two teams would play for the championship. Having it as the top 4 would be difficult. Too many ties down the line, and the way they are broken would be skewed by the teams they played during the season. Schedules would not be balanced. At least, with this format, teams would have a shot at it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you go with the singular alignment, only the top two teams would play for the championship. Having it as the top 4 would be difficult. Too many ties down the line, and the way they are broken would be skewed by the teams they played during the season. Schedules would not be balanced. At least, with this format, teams would have a shot at it.
Yup and from a fans perspective, more sustained interest. If my team was in 16th place in a 16 team conference, with 3 games to go and it was a bit cold and rainy, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a ticket or even watch it on TV. However, if my team was in a 4 pod division with the same record and 1 game out, playing the top team in the pod, that stadium would probably be rocking.

Krabs

Reaction score
Catching up on the Badgers transfer portal haul by the numbers, a fun read.

That is a great article. Thanks for sharing. It breaks everything down nicely. #1 ranked transfer class in the B1G and #8 in the nation. Not the typical way to build a team, but there is now competition at almost every position. With that will come a competitive team.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the fact that the Badgers actually got into the portal contact business late, they still rank #8 in catches. That's pretty darned good. Especially since they've been able to not only improve, but fortify such areas as QB, and the defensive secondary, as well as the WR room. Not something easy to do, when you're already behind when you start. Every time I sign on, there's more information about guys being added.

There are some projections that say they're higher, and others lower, but I think this one makes a lot of sense.

Krabs

Reaction score
Well, we lost one. "After three seasons as a member of the Badgers’ football team, Dean Engram announced Thursday that he is entering the transfer portal with two years of eligibility remaining."

I think he saw the WR room and knew he wasn't going to get a lot of time. He saw a bit last year. Not a lot and that was with a much less talented group.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, we lost one. "After three seasons as a member of the Badgers’ football team, Dean Engram announced Thursday that he is entering the transfer portal with two years of eligibility remaining."

I think he saw the WR room and knew he wasn't going to get a lot of time. He saw a bit last year. Not a lot and that was with a much less talented group.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
No major loss, except maybe as a return guy. Guessing it has something to do with his Dad no longer being the OC at Wisconsin as well. As you correctly pointed out as well, the WR room has been substantially upgraded, I doubt he would have seen all that many snaps as WR. I wish him the best of luck.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd imagine he realized he wasn't going to get much time on the field, plus the fact that his Dad, who was a Badgers coach, was let go with the rest. He's going to hook up somewhere, just don't know where yet.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Figured a new thread title was needed, since this is not only a new year, but really what promises to be a completely new look Badger Football team.

Fickell completed his staff today. Pretty impressive group.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Very good write up about Chris McIntosh and as the article says, "the stones" he had to go a different way than most expected.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looks like we lost one:

This says it all and the job that Fickell and his staff are doing:

"With all the additions and hype around the program since Luke Fickell took over as head coach in late November, Alexander may have seen his expected role diminish in front of his eyes."

Being very competitive in both the transfer portal and high school recruiting, should up the level of competition at Wisconsin. I haven't posted any of them, but I keep seeing articles pop up about this 4 star and that 5 star have been offered by Wisconsin for 2024 or 2025.

Most recently, a highly sought after 5 star WR, Jaime Ffrench Jr. was offered by the Badgers. The kid is only a sophomore and he already has received 20 Division 1 offers from schools like Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama.

The Badgers are moving up the pecking pole!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is a decent player from what I heard, but just wouldn't be competitive enough in the new Badger offense to draw enough field time. I understand his reason for moving on, because he will get offers from a lot of schools. As for the Badgers, that opens up another scholarship for a high profile guy to fill that role. It's getting more competitive, before they even hit the field.

Krabs

Reaction score
It is interesting. When I read he was a 3 star I was like, "oh well". Two months ago I would have panicked that we lost a player at all. Now my attitude is that it was just a 3 star guy. Fickell has already changed my expectations.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is interesting. When I read he was a 3 star I was like, "oh well". Two months ago I would have panicked that we lost a player at all. Now my attitude is that it was just a 3 star guy. Fickell has already changed my expectations.
Amazing, isn't it? From begging for scraps to shopping at the high priced meat market. Talk about culture change. Yowzer!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts