The New Look Badgers - 2023

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Add to the 23 transfers and commitments, a 2024 commitment by 4 Star QB Mabrey Mettauer that Fickell and OC Longo nailed down.

The QB room is already loaded with the addition of these 3 transfers:

Mordecai: 1 year of eligibility
Locke: 4 years of eligibility
Evers: 4 years of eligibility

At least in my time, there has never been this much competition, by this quality of players, for the starting QB job. Newly hired OC Phil Longo has a lot to do with these QB's wanting to come to WI. He loves to pass the ball, running his version of the “Air Raid” system. So strap yourselves in Badger fans, this is going to be a whole new offense that we aren't used to seeing.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Have to say, this is the first offseason in quite awhile, that I am way more excited about the direction that the Badgers are headed, than I am with the Packers.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to say, this is the first offseason in quite awhile, that I am way more excited about the direction that the Badgers are headed, than I am with the Packers.
A person is beginning to think that ticket prices at Camp Randall are going to be quite expensive coming from season ticket holders.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A person is beginning to think that ticket prices at Camp Randall are going to be quite expensive coming from season ticket holders.
The pitfalls of a successful program, as we see that in Green Bay. Demand exceeds supply, so charge as much as you can without looking too greedy.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant more guys like Jeff Potrykus and other WI reporters. I think they're still mad about Leonhard.
One of the things that I think they're uptight about is that their "insider information" was flat out wrong. They've been so used to "leaking info" and looking like geniuses, and that cam crashing down around them with the new people.

It's going to be interesting seeing how the new admin/press marriage works out.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
One of the things that I think they're uptight about is that their "insider information" was flat out wrong. They've been so used to "leaking info" and looking like geniuses, and that cam crashing down around them with the new people.

Interesting take and you're probably right. Potrykus had to apologies on Twitter for reporting that Leonhard was the new coach and then again when he said he was staying on for defensive coordinator. I forgot about that.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I was shocked that Leonhard didn't get the HC job, but now....I am over the moon with what Fickell and his staff have done in such short time. No way would Jimmy have gotten this kind of talent to come to WI. Like I just said, Longo's style of offense is very appealing to NFL minded QB's and receivers.

If Fickell and Longo produce on the field, similar to what we are seeing now, who knows where they can take this program. Right now it is just a bunch of transfers and H.S. recruits, lets hope they exceed the current bar on the field, which isn't very high.

UW Athletic director Chris McIntosh and anyone else involved in the Fickell over Leonhard decision, deserve a lot of credit. The easy and painless choice was Leonhard.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was shocked that Leonhard didn't get the HC job, but now....I am over the moon with what Fickell and his staff have done in such short time. No way would Jimmy have gotten this kind of talent to come to WI. Like I just said, Longo's style of offense if very appealing to NFL minded QB's and receivers.

If Fickell and Longo produce on the field, similar to what we are seeing now, who knows where they can take this program. Right now it is just a bunch of transfers and H.S. recruits, lets hope they exceed the current bar on the field, which isn't very high.

UW Athletic director Chris McIntosh and anyone else involved in the Fickell over Leonhard decision, deserve a lot of credit. The easy and painless choice was Leonhard.
You're right. This whole thing could have backfired, and made McIntosh look like a total idiot, if Fickell came in and did nothing to improve the team with any urgency. Instead, he hit the ground running, and obviously, his core crew did not take time off over the Holidays, and were on the clock, even before they were guaranteed paychecks with a signed contract. There was a faith that it was going to happen.

I really like Jimmy a lot. The one true football coach we had, in my opinion. I was torn on whether he should get the job.

In the end, the change in culture was what was needed, and that would never have happened if McIntosh tapped him for the job.

What McIntosh did took a lot of guts, and it had to be difficult for him, because he too is part of the culture of the past. He broke the glass, and now it's a new era.

It's going to be a great ride.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Instead, he hit the ground running, and obviously, his core crew did not take time off over the Holidays, and were on the clock, even before they were guaranteed paychecks with a signed contract. There was a faith that it was going to happen.
That can't be stated enough. Bowl game coming for the Badgers, Christmas, New Years, etc. for everyone else, December is kind of a "coasting month" for many.

At first I kind of wondered why Fickell was on the sidelines and apparently coaching, during the Bowl game. I think we have our answer, he wants to put as much work into the job as he can. Helping the team and coaches in any way possible during the Bowl game, was a great sign of his commitment.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That can't be stated enough. Bowl game coming for the Badgers, Christmas, New Years, etc. for everyone else, December is kind of a "coasting month" for many.

At first I kind of wondered why Fickell was on the sidelines and apparently coaching, during the Bowl game. I think we have our answer, he wants to put as much work into the job as he can. Helping the team and coaches in any way possible during the Bowl game, was a great sign of his commitment.
He was also using the preparation for the bowl game, and the way the players handled things on the field, to help them determine where they needed to focus in getting help through the portal. They didn't come in with a 3 to 5 year program. That's what makes this such an intense transition.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He was also using the preparation for the bowl game, and the way the players handled things on the field, to help them determine where they needed to focus in getting help through the portal. They didn't come in with a 3 to 5 year program. That's what makes this such an intense transition.
Agreed and he probably could have done that by being up in the pressbox or just watching film. However, he seems like a real hands on guy and wanted to be down there with his guys. Another good sign is that players (at least 4) who have played under him at Cincinnati are transferring to Wisconsin.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I love it when a poster says something as a fact and then is proven wrong. Then they don’t reply
We might have to start a new thread and title it "Fickelled or Pickled?"

That way all the nay sayers can express themselves as the Fickell Era progresses.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For those who don't understand Fickell and his success at Cincinnati, this sums it up.

Fickell went 57-18 in six seasons at Cincinnati, leading the Bearcats to the College Football Playoff last season. He had nine players selected in the 2022 NFL draft, third only to Georgia (15) and LSU (10). That shows he can take players who aren’t necessarily blue-chip prospects and develop them.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excited about the influx of transfers. Initially I was thinking "Awesome guys to add to the talent pool", but now that has turned to "Geez.. how middle of the road mediocre were our WRs"

If someone wants to be cautious about what will happen next year on the field, I can understand that, but even if you are the President of the Jim Leonhard fan club, absolutely NO way this happens.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Excited about the influx of transfers. Initially I was thinking "Awesome guys to add to the talent pool", but now that has turned to "Geez.. how middle of the road mediocre were our WRs"

If someone wants to be cautious about what will happen next year on the field, I can understand that, but even if you are the President of the Jim Leonhard fan club, absolutely NO way this happens.
Yeah the Badgers haven't really been a program that is flush in quality WR's. I think a lot of that is due to how the program has run its offense for years. Which is rely on an above average OL to wear down a defense until they succumb to the run. Passing the ball has always been second to the run. Helps to have some really excellent RB's too. The new Badger OC Phil Longo, is going to pass way more than Badgers fans have ever seen.

I have a feeling that Fickell is raising some eyebrows around the NCAA with what he's assembling at Wisconsin, in such a short span of time. Seems to be attracting quality players, which is the most important aspect of it.

The transfer portal has created a wild west out there and Fickell is roping them in at a steady rate.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the Badgers haven't really been a program that is flush in quality WR's. I think a lot of that is due to how the program has run its offense for years. Which is rely on an above average OL to wear down a defense until they succumb to the run. Passing the ball has always been second to the run. Helps to have some really excellent RB's too. The new Badger OC Phil Longo, is going to pass way more than Badgers fans have ever seen.

I have a feeling that Fickell is raising some eyebrows around the NCAA with what he's assembling at Wisconsin, in such a short span of time. Seems to be attracting quality players, which is the most important aspect of it.

The transfer portal has created a wild west out there and Fickell is roping them in at a steady rate.
What I like most is the idea that they have no intention of abandoning their running game. Instead, they intend creating a dual threat of run and pass options, that keeps defenses on their toes. The Badgers have suddenly become a destination for WRs who want a shot at moving on to the NFL after college. We can expect to see some good ones, as long as the Badgers follow the script they're writing.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well they seem to want to rank just about everything in Football, so here is a ranking I found on "success" of the transfer portal, as this sight sees it of course. Looks at players from each team, both in and out of the portal. Fickell and the Badgers are in the #4 spot, not bad for a program that hit close to rock bottom and just hired a new HC at the end of Nov.

Nice to see Schools like Georga and OSU have a negative score and are 37th and 38th in the rankings.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they seem to want to rank just about everything in Football, so here is a ranking I found on "success" of the transfer portal, as this sight sees it of course. Looks at players from each team, both in and out of the portal. Fickell and the Badgers are in the #4 spot, not bad for a program that hit close to rock bottom and just hired a new HC at the end of Nov.

Nice to see Schools like Georga and OSU have a negative score and are 37th and 38th in the rankings.

Interesting as to how high they have gone, considering they were even late coming to the party. They've done well.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts