The New Look Badgers - 2023

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to guess. It is due to oil and water, as well as a few other components not mixing well. That being, the type of players you have and who/what brought them to Wisconsin.

- Chryst (and staff) players: Played for or recruited by old coach/staff

- Cincinnati players: Played for or recruited by Fickell/Staff

- Transfer Portal: Didn't play for either coaching staff

This has been a dirty changing of the guard. It won't surprise me to see some starters with eligibility hit the transfer portal. There is talk of players that haven't "bought in". I assume these are the players that got "stuck with" the new coaching staff and preferred the old regime.

Fans just need to sit back and let things work themselves out. Fickell has proven himself to be a damn good coach and recruiter. The last thing that this program needs right now is a bunch of angry, impatient fans, not wanting to give the new coaching staff adequate time to fix the hangover they were left from Chryst.
A lot of what you said is more than likely true. We're going to find out how bad it has been, after this season has ended.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We're going to find out how bad it has been, after this season has ended.
Might even find out sooner, if players are benched.

If I was the HC and I had a starter, that wasn't "buying into" my way of running things, I would probably sit him. That guy is probably eyeing the transfer portal anyway.

Hunter Wohler's comments after Saturdays game pretty much says it all.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
My fear is guys like Wohler enter that portal. He has been one of the few bright spots of the season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My fear is guys like Wohler enter that portal. He has been one of the few bright spots of the season.
I think Wohler is here to stay. He's a Wisconsin kid and will be the leader of the Defense in his final year. Yeah, he could transfer, but it seems this defense suits his skill set and why risk going somewhere that doesn't. If he was a senior, he would be drafted this year.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wohler will stay. He can do a lot for his image, going into the draft, with one more solid season. Changing schools at this point would put him back. He fits into the defensive system they're using from what I've seen.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they grew up tonight.

Nebraska Def is good as is their running game

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good win after the 1st quarter looked really really bad. At the end of the day, I overestimated how much impact the incoming transfers were going to have and underestimated just how devoid of talent the Paul Chryst era left the team. I wasn't expect a playoff appears or a Big Ten championship this year, but I was hoping for a little more excitement on the offensive side of the ball, but not meant to be. Still have a chance to finish out strong at 8-5 at least.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Badgers won through grit. So many injuries, and more during the game. Our top receiver, Pauling, and Wohler... the heart and soul of the defense. Yet, they rallied around themselves, and won it.

I figured 8 wins long before the season started would be a darned good goal. I don't think we're far off that figure. It's what everyone should have hoped for at best, with the changes being made.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Bowl eligible now. We'll see how far this one goes. Sheesh, I forgot they played last night. I would think the Nebraska fan forum is going absolutely berserk - it always does after a Badger win against the Huskers. The tone and tenor just gets darker and darker in some pretty creative ways.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good win after the 1st quarter looked really really bad. At the end of the day, I overestimated how much impact the incoming transfers were going to have and underestimated just how devoid of talent the Paul Chryst era left the team. I wasn't expect a playoff appears or a Big Ten championship this year, but I was hoping for a little more excitement on the offensive side of the ball, but not meant to be. Still have a chance to finish out strong at 8-5 at least.
Well, Iowa beat Illinois 15-13. They have no offense and still are in the top 25.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bowl eligible now. We'll see how far this one goes. Sheesh, I forgot they played last night. I would think the Nebraska fan forum is going absolutely berserk - it always does after a Badger win against the Huskers. The tone and tenor just gets darker and darker in some pretty creative ways.

I think it was time to shuck some corn, Nebraska corn.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Iowa beat Illinois 15-13. They have no offense and still are in the top 25.

Would I be satisfied if they were in a top 25 with a horrific offense? Sure.. Still doesn't change the fact that it would be like watching paint dry from an offensive standpoint and I don't think that is a recipe for long term success.

Krabs

Reaction score
I cannot figure out how Iowa keeps winning. It's baffling to me. If they figure out any way to have an offense they are probably a playoff team. Smoke and mirrors right now.

Krabs

Reaction score
Nebraska isn't a good football team, but man am I happy with the win. I really thought they were going to get their doors blown off the way it started. You can't really pick an MVP from that game either. They needed Allen, Pauling, and Mordecai to get it done offensively. Wohler left early and the defense still stepped up. Ugly start, but a great win in my book.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot figure out how Iowa keeps winning. It's baffling to me. If they figure out any way to have an offense they are probably a playoff team. Smoke and mirrors right now.
Some fan told me that they run the same offense they ran 20 years ago. They have a decent head coach who produces some players with fundamentals for the pros.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some fan told me that they run the same offense they ran 20 years ago. They have a decent head coach who produces some players with fundamentals for the pros.
Defense. They don't let the opposition develop sustained drives. All they ask of their offense is to take advantage of opportunities to score when they happen. If you look at how little people score against them on a game by game basis, it tells the story.

With their defense, if they had a potent offense, they would have driven Ohio State into the ground. They'd end up national champs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense. They don't let the opposition develop sustained drives. All they ask of their offense is to take advantage of opportunities to score when they happen. If you look at how little people score against them on a game by game basis, it tells the story.

With their defense, if they had a potent offense, they would have driven Ohio State into the ground. They'd end up national champs.
They have had a good coach and have produced some good NFL players. Bulaga and Micah Hyde come to mind.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nebraska isn't a good football team, but man am I happy with the win. I really thought they were going to get their doors blown off the way it started. You can't really pick an MVP from that game either. They needed Allen, Pauling, and Mordecai to get it done offensively. Wohler left early and the defense still stepped up. Ugly start, but a great win in my book.
Their Def isn't bad at all.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

Reaction score
Their Def isn't bad at all.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Yeah, but overall Nebraska isn't a good football team. They lack skill players offensively. Not saying that WI is good, but saying that I'm happy with the win and the response by the players. It was ugly to start, but they stepped up. Man I hope they can do that to MN.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score