The Morgan Burnett INT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Exactly, Peppers instead of doing his job of blocking, started raising the champagne glass.

And burnett gets just as much of the blame. He's a playoff captain as well, and no reason he has to listen to Peppers. He could have waived him forward to block for him. I don't even know if they were thinking "we got this" and can you blame them? The D dominated up to that point. They just gotta learn from this...thats all you can take away from it.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And burnett gets just as much of the blame. He's a playoff captain as well, and no reason he has to listen to Peppers. He could have waived him forward to block for him. I don't even know if they were thinking "we got this" and can you blame them? The D dominated up to that point. They just gotta learn from this...thats all you can take away from it.

The Packers had an 18 point lead on the Colts in 2013 and blew it. This team does NOT learn from their mistakes.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You see it a lot. What Burnett did is not some isolated incident. You see INT's happen toward the end of games and players getting down. What Burnett did wasn't anything new. It happens a lot in Football at all levels. So I wasn't surprised in what he did at all. I was just curious if he had a lot of room to run is all.

Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody in a million years could have predicted the way that the game went from there.

I've never seen it done with 5 minutes left to play in a 2 score game. Never... until Sunday.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, with 2 minutes left, yeah. With 5??? There's a lot of football to be played yet.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, who could have predicted the way the rest of that game went? When Burnett picked that pass off, I felt like the game was over too. There was 5 minutes left. We were up 19-7. Seahawks offense hasn't done anything ALL game. So I have a bridge to sell you if you didn't feel like the game was in hand at that point. If you say otherwise, all you're doing is arguing for the sake arguing.

Hell, even Seahawk fans started filing out of the stadium after the INT.

Fact is, nobody in a million years could have predicted the events that followed.

This is a woulda coulda shoulda argument.

I can assure you I didn't feel the game was over. I can assure you I was yelling 'Why??' at Burnett.

Truth is, what Seattle's O had done up to that point is irrelevant. Momentum can change in a heartbeat, especially against a great team and especially against our inconsistent D. It did.

I'm not going to sit here and say I knew we were going to lose after that pick, but did I think it was over, absolutely not. That's why you play it out. We didn't. I don't know how the fact that we are probably going to the Super Bowl if Burnett attempts a return isn't damning enough evidence for you. Heck, you could argue that Burnett going down WAS the momentum changer.

TheDarkKnight68

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow guys. First post here. Full disclosure, I am first and foremost a Seahawks fan. Lifelong since '76. So while this "boisterous" group has been successful, there have been some leeeeean years and decades. Im no fairweather or bandwagon fan. I started liking the Pack too after we got Holmgren and Hasselbeck from you guys. Well, not due to that, but my like of those guys got me to paying attention and I like the organization, the fans, the players... They are my backup team- you know, the one you root for EXCEPT when playing your number one. I also DO NOT like the smack talking by my team- I really wish they would stop being difficult and obnoxious and ranty. Makes us look really petty and comes off thuggish and cocky. Not a ton different from Rodgers comments (cmon, you know he shouldnt have said that even if he felt that as it is not professional and he is a consummate pro, but much like MY boys, I give him a break as it is very emotional) On one hand- they are young men who definitely have used the tabloids for motivation. For example, there HAS been plenty of press on the receivers being mediocre, so when they rant and holler immaturely after a big, unlikely win I tend to give them a break. Its high emotions getting the better of them. To them it is vindication- not saying they are right in the manner of their approach, but I CAN understand the emotions. Its gotten kinda out of hand and embarrassing though- the press sh-ts on everybody after a bad game, not just the Seahawks. Patriots and Brady were done after being blown out this year. Same with the Pack. So yeah, I get it, albeit immature and dramatic. Plus, not sure any defending SB team has ever been "underestimated" or "no one thought we could do it". World Champs cant really pull off the "no respect" or "under the radar" stuff. And yes, I love Marshawn and Richard, but am FULLY aware it's only because they are on MY team. I tell my friends all the time, "I'd be scared shitless and worried if Lynch was sitting in my living room and he is on MY team ." But, as Pack fans can probably attest, I almost always can find a way to get behind someone if they are on our roster. I can hate them when they leave.

On to the game. I agree completely on most views of our offensive performance. We played terribly until we caught a couple breaks, and finally Russell hit on a few throws. I, along with every other Seahawk fan, wrote this game off in the 3rd quarter, if not earlier. I did not believe for one small millisecond that we would come back. It wasn't our day, and we were severely outplayed. Not sure why- I don't buy we weren't prepared or didn't take it seriously. Don't think it happens at this point in the season. I DO know that whether it was GB's game plan (they had a nice one) or whatever, I was especially upset by HOW we were losing. Trust me, Im a Seahawks fan, losing is no stranger- I can handle it. But OUR keys to success.... Not making stupid plays- Baldwin bringing it out off balance and not ready 7 yards deep. Turbin bobbling a simple handoff in 2nd drive (geezus, know the play and BE READY). Wilson forcing the ball and making poor decisions... THOSE were especially disturbing because that's our MO- we don't do that stuff. But GB had us reeling and we did. That's why this Hawks fan was so upset; if we lost, fine, Im happy as long as we lose playing our game. Im not here to bash the Pack or the fanbase- I like these guys a lot. But if I have to pick a reason, I'd have to put it on the offense, and specifically the coaching. Not gonna go into great detail, you guys know what I mean. The field goals vs tds. The less than 200 yds passing. the one "bad" pick that Aaron shouldn't have thrown. Lacy at 3.5 yds a carry. If you didn't know how the game unfolded, the Hawks D did a pretty good job on paper vs the #1 offense. They were definitely vanilla and conservative when we were ripe for the death blow. Even the onsides. Im pretty sure a lot of coaches would've covered assignments with each individual with that much on the line. Youd think they would anticipate the potential "excited panic" type mistake. Maybe they did, I dunno. Anyway, just wanted to share my perspective. Glad to be here, guys and gals, and go Packers (except vs Sea)!!!

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An interesting question I thought I'd throw out there. Does anyone think Burnett does anything different there if it was the exact same scenario, but during the regular season?

Sky King

Reaction score
An interesting question I thought I'd throw out there. Does anyone think Burnett does anything different there if it was the exact same scenario, but during the regular season?
Of course not. He tries to score and advances the ball as far as he can. But our coach got caught counting his chicken hawks before they were hatched.

Sky King

Reaction score
Wow guys. First post here. Full disclosure, I am first and foremost a Seahawks fan. Lifelong since '76. So while this "boisterous" group has been successful, there have been some leeeeean years and decades. Im no fairweather or bandwagon fan. I started liking the Pack too after we got Holmgren and Hasselbeck from you guys. Well, not due to that, but my like of those guys got me to paying attention and I like the organization, the fans, the players... They are my backup team- you know, the one you root for EXCEPT when playing your number one. I also DO NOT like the smack talking by my team- I really wish they would stop being difficult and obnoxious and ranty. Makes us look really petty and comes off thuggish and cocky. Not a ton different from Rodgers comments (cmon, you know he shouldnt have said that even if he felt that as it is not professional and he is a consummate pro, but much like MY boys, I give him a break as it is very emotional) On one hand- they are young men who definitely have used the tabloids for motivation. For example, there HAS been plenty of press on the receivers being mediocre, so when they rant and holler immaturely after a big, unlikely win I tend to give them a break. Its high emotions getting the better of them. To them it is vindication- not saying they are right in the manner of their approach, but I CAN understand the emotions. Its gotten kinda out of hand and embarrassing though- the press sh-ts on everybody after a bad game, not just the Seahawks. Patriots and Brady were done after being blown out this year. Same with the Pack. So yeah, I get it, albeit immature and dramatic. Plus, not sure any defending SB team has ever been "underestimated" or "no one thought we could do it". World Champs cant really pull off the "no respect" or "under the radar" stuff. And yes, I love Marshawn and Richard, but am FULLY aware it's only because they are on MY team. I tell my friends all the time, "I'd be scared shitless and worried if Lynch was sitting in my living room and he is on MY team ." But, as Pack fans can probably attest, I almost always can find a way to get behind someone if they are on our roster. I can hate them when they leave.

On to the game. I agree completely on most views of our offensive performance. We played terribly until we caught a couple breaks, and finally Russell hit on a few throws. I, along with every other Seahawk fan, wrote this game off in the 3rd quarter, if not earlier. I did not believe for one small millisecond that we would come back. It wasn't our day, and we were severely outplayed. Not sure why- I don't buy we weren't prepared or didn't take it seriously. Don't think it happens at this point in the season. I DO know that whether it was GB's game plan (they had a nice one) or whatever, I was especially upset by HOW we were losing. Trust me, Im a Seahawks fan, losing is no stranger- I can handle it. But OUR keys to success.... Not making stupid plays- Baldwin bringing it out off balance and not ready 7 yards deep. Turbin bobbling a simple handoff in 2nd drive (geezus, know the play and BE READY). Wilson forcing the ball and making poor decisions... THOSE were especially disturbing because that's our MO- we don't do that stuff. But GB had us reeling and we did. That's why this Hawks fan was so upset; if we lost, fine, Im happy as long as we lose playing our game. Im not here to bash the Pack or the fanbase- I like these guys a lot. But if I have to pick a reason, I'd have to put it on the offense, and specifically the coaching. Not gonna go into great detail, you guys know what I mean. The field goals vs tds. The less than 200 yds passing. the one "bad" pick that Aaron shouldn't have thrown. Lacy at 3.5 yds a carry. If you didn't know how the game unfolded, the Hawks D did a pretty good job on paper vs the #1 offense. They were definitely vanilla and conservative when we were ripe for the death blow. Even the onsides. Im pretty sure a lot of coaches would've covered assignments with each individual with that much on the line. Youd think they would anticipate the potential "excited panic" type mistake. Maybe they did, I dunno. Anyway, just wanted to share my perspective. Glad to be here, guys and gals, and go Packers (except vs Sea)!!!
Welcome! Your perspective is appreciated.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If Burnett runs and fumbles people would be saying why didnt you just fall down..everyone here knows that would have happened

would he have fumbled? not likely

I cant understand why people are mad at Burnett... That play is the low low low on the "excuse" page for why we lost.

He did nothing wrong..

Whe he got it and dropped I am sure EVERY Packer fan was excitied as hell...Please dont tell me you were mad he just dropped..

99% thought like me, we can get a few yards and get a FG .. Game over

To be mad at him is wrong anger placement

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll change my mind if it shows that Burnett had a clear path to the end zone. You always take the pick six if its a clear path with no resistance in situations like that. Even when your up big.

Hell, even getting on Seattle's side of the field would have been big. At least in FG range.

And looking at those pictures above, it looks like Burnett could have made it to the Seattle 20-25 yard line AT LEAST without much effort...he may even of scored a TD if he breaks Wilson's tackle or avoids him. All that was ahead of him were OL and Wilson.
It was as if MM was as intent on preventing the Pack from scoring as was Seattle.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could pick apart individual plays and bash players all day long, but it's off base. Our players made mistakes in the game like they always do, and like Seattle did as well. Going in, we were the team that in the media's and the public's eyes had nothing going for it, we were the team that had no chance of winning. And despite the huge underdog status, the difficult venue and the rain, even with the mistakes, we played better than expected and well enough to win. Our game plan lacked aggression in the final minutes on both sides of the ball. That's where the game was lost, and to try to heap the blame for the loss on one guy -- especially a guy who made a big play that should have given us the ability to seal the deal no matter whether he slid or picked up another ten yards -- is really misplaced.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Any player, or any fan that thinks that with 5 minutes left in a game a 2 score lead is enough in the NFL is just fooling themselves. The move to get down was just dumb. He should have ran for it. If nothing else it takes time off the clock. If he was worried about a fumble, he could have gone down before he got hit.

As to the game being over? Point to ponder. 2013 Vikings vs Ravens. Score with 6:32 left in the game when the Ravens start their next drive, Vikings are up 12-7. At 2:07 the Ravens score and make it 12-15. In the final 2:07 seconds 4 touchdowns are scored. Final score, Vikings 26, Ravens 29. Never quit playing, never quit trying to score. The game is not over until the clock says 0:00.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose it's true. Even if Burnett returned it to the Seattle 40, MM would have called 3 runs up the middle and gotten stuffed on all of them and punted. Either that or try a 55 yard FG - Crosby would have finally missed - you can't expect him to make 6 FGs in a game.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Burnett runs and fumbles people would be saying why didnt you just fall down..everyone here knows that would have happened

I cant understand why people are mad at Burnett... That play is the low low low on the "excuse" page for why we lost.

He did nothing wrong..

Whe he got it and dropped I am sure EVERY Packer fan was excitied as hell...Please dont tell me you were mad he just dropped..

Not angry with Burnett. Angry with the coaches who signaled him to slide.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like 9 times out of 10 we could NOT get a first down against Seattle.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like 9 times out of 10 we could NOT get a first down against Seattle.
But that's only because of the pathetic, overly-conservative play calling by MM. No variety, no spreading out the defense around the field, no bold plays deep in Seattle territory.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you're a member (even leader) of a tight team, a collective sense of group think settles in. This team has embraced MM's values long before Sunday's kickoff. Like a Marine soldier in battle, why would Burnett even think to question such a signal to kneel down?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching all-22 on Mike and Mike show right now. Man does Burnett have a lot of room to runback.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's where the game was lost, and to try to heap the blame for the loss on one guy -- especially a guy who made a big play that should have given us the ability to seal the deal no matter whether he slid or picked up another ten yards -- is really misplaced.

Nobody is blaming the loss solely on Burnett. He made a great play intercepting Wilson and therafter a stupid decision to go down which contributed to the Packers losing the game.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is blaming the loss solely on Burnett. He made a great play intercepting Wilson and therafter a stupid decision to go down which contributed to the Packers losing the game.
The truly sad part is that Burnett and Mike McCarthy are not saying they learned anything from this experience. They both say that they would do the exact same thing again. They refuse to learn from their mistakes.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This play was hardly the problem........I would say there were many many other plays during the game that GB made the wrong choice. The had multiple chances early from the shotty play that Seattle started out with to score a few TD's and came away with FG's. I saw them Pass too often when they could have easily run it and scored when close to the goal line. The facts are this play was one of the better plays during the game that gave them a chance to win.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno lol at the clock there's over 5 minutes left in that ball game. If you're within the 2 minute warning ok, but with that much time you at least return that the 20 or so free yards that are there.

This team simply put the brakes on way too soon at the end and tried to beat the clock. It comes from the coaches im guessing. It's the same mentality that comes from rushing 2 against Wilson on 3rd and long when you've been getting great pressure on him all day.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He did nothing wrong..

I guess I'm in that 1% then because I was excited when he picked it then asking 'Why??' after he got down.

Please don't lump us all into a group of "would have been mad at Burnett for not getting down if he fumbled. " I might have been mad he fumbled, but considering I have never once seen an NFL player simply drop after an INT in that situation, I certainly wouldn't have second guessed that.
Yes, yes he did do something wrong. And had he not just went down, he likely would have sealed the game. He had a chance to make a play and chose to make sure he didn't make a mistake instead.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-of-burnett-pick?campaign=Facebook_atn_hanzus

They played scared with 5 minutes left and it was a direct contributor to a loss. Why is that so hard to accept?

Status
Not open for further replies.