The Lions so far

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
While everyone can admit they got an impressive no count win over the Patriots, I have to wonder....

If they go 4-0 in preseason am I supposed to believe they really will live up to the expectations so far?

We know what happened to the Niners last year after going 4-0 in preseason.

Something tells me while the Lions are showing up in preseason, that come time for regular season, they may not be all that great.

I put them going 9-7. But if they go 4-0 in preseason, I will lower that to 7-9.

Their key is keeping Stafford healthy. Without him, they are going to blow it, like last year early on.

I'm still a bit scared of the Lions, more than I am the Bears, but I am starting to doubt them a bit.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis of the Lions, Bogart. I was starting to become a bit worried of them but am also starting to doubt them a little. I picked them as the sleeper in our division and I still think they may indeed still be. The problem I see them having is Stafford is a sitting duck out there. Why won't they draft some fierce offensive linemen to protect him? They can fix that problem easily and save themselves the nightmare of having their QB get whacked. The Lions saving grace is going to be their defense. Suh is going to be a force over there. I'm putting them at a tentative 2nd place in our division I tend to swap that with the Bears every week.

OptimumBuster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Lions don't go 10-6 I'll be shocked. This team is very solid. Stafford is finally living up (All beit slowly) to the 1st overall pick status, and Suh is a beast. They are very much in the Playoff contention, and if they stay healthy, they can make a run to get second in the division (I forsee a battle between Detroit and Minnesotta) and also I think they could be a dnagerous team in the 6 Seed. But then again, things change, and they could go 5-11 and go 4th in the division. All comes to if they can protect Stafford in the pocket, and keep him healthy. But what do I know :D

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will do good this year, just hopefully not as good as the Pack. If Stafford can stay healthy and their D-Line can get the pressure before their weak secondary get's exploited, they will win there fair share of games.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a comparison, did Alex Smith look like he was living up to expectations in last years' preseason?

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
last time the lions went 4-0 in the preseason they went 0-16 in the regular season, folks its the PRE-season, not the season. The outcomes of the game literally have no value, its just a talent evaluation.

I came to post this exact stat.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference is that the team in 2008 went 4-0 in the preseason with their 3rd team players -coming from behind late in the game. This team -this year, is man-handling opponents with their starters. I too am a bit scared -if nothing else from the money I stand to lose to Lions fans from bets made on games and win-loss records. Been living in the middle of Lion country since the 80's, and this is by far the best team they have had on paper in 25 years. We will see what they can do on the field...

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think the Lions are definitely moving in a positive direction but don't think they will go from the worst team in the league to the best in one year. Team building takes time. IMO, Lions we have a better record than Vikings or Bears but won't be play-off contenders...yet.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we didn't have talent on the o-line I would be worried,I would be worried if we didn't have the guys we do on the d-line I know people think the lions will win both games from us I don't see it.I watched the pats game did not see other 2 I think the pats front is worse than ours,Brady was on the ground a lot their d-line didn't do much either so they made the lions look really good,now I'm not saying they aren't but when you have a team like the pats who people say are still very good and they look like rag dolls out there ,so are the pats in decline a little I think so of course Hanysworth did not play and maybe he is key for them,I think the lions will have their moments and think Stafford is better than Cutler so I think teams should worry,but I feel the pack has played these guys and will win at least one of the games if not both,I feel when season starts the pack will be scary good:smile2:

ailisgreen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Lions are definitely moving in a positive direction but don't think they will go from the worst team in the league to the best in one year. Team building takes time. IMO, Lions we have a better record than Vikings or Bears but won't be play-off contenders...yet.
agree

tenplay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions lack an effective running attack. Home-run hitter Javid Best missed last week's game with an injury and is fragile. To rely so much on an oft-injured QB for scoring can lead only to disaster at some point in the long season. The Lions are like a house of cards and will end up with 8-9 wins at best.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions are gonna be good. Watching their individuals play, you can't come to another conclusion.

But how good?

I've said this before, preseason matters but not the result, not even how team plays. Specially this year, teams use the preseason to evaluate their players, so they don't call plays to beat the adversary, they call plays to evaluate their players. MM called only deep passes in the first 2 preseason games to evaluate how Lang and Sherrod would do in the worst possible conditions, and so on.

The 3rd preseason game is usually used to gauge how the team is, so the period the starters play in there does matter.

But, as I said, it depends on each team. While the Colts NEVER use preseason to gauge the team, and always to evaluate the players, they don't gameplan the 3rd preseason, which usually ends up being a landslide. But the Titans under Jeff Fisher, they not only used the 3rd preseason, but the 4th preseason to gauge their team and scheme. So they would usually win those games.

The Lions have played great so far, but were they evaluating players? And what about their opponents? I know Tom Brady played till the 3rd quarter, but that doesn't necessarily means that they were evaluating scheme. They could be seeing how their backup LT would fare with the 1sts, and so on...

All of this is to say:

The Lions did look good, and if they were playing to win, gameplanning to exploit the Patrots, and if the Patriots did the same, then it's an indicament that they'll be a though team to beat in the regular season.

But, otherwise, you can't conclude that.

In 4 quarters, against a team that is completely focused, when it matters, it's a completely different thing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree but IMHO it depends on Stafford. Yes, he has played very well in preseason, but in the regular season, so far, to me he hasn't shown he can be an elite QB and lead his team.

If he can, if he can perform like he's doing in the preseason, they're contenders.

If not, they have too many holes to be able to beat the Bucs, Giants, Cowboys... For the wildcard spot. They still don't have a running game, they don't have a competent secondary.

If Stafford and the DL can make up for those holes, they'll contend. If not, they'll be a though team, but they won't reach the playoffs.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
somewhere between 7-9 wins imo. They are going to be very one dimensional on offense and i think a team with a good secondary, I.e. Packers, Eagles, Jets are going to be able to expose that as a serious weakness. The D-line is the only part of their defense that is above average and again that makes them sort of one dimensional. Off. Coordinators know how to neutralize a penetrating aggressive defensive line and again a serious weakness would be exposed.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I say they both will be contending for a playoff spot at the end of they year. And they have not been the worst team in the league since 2008. The Rams went from the worst in 2009 to battling for a playoff spot in one year. Anything is possible.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Watch out for that front 4 of the Lions, They are going to be terrors. If our O line can control their D line then the Lions won't be an issue, otherwise......

All games are won and lost in the trenches

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
As a comparison, did Alex Smith look like he was living up to expectations in last years' preseason?

The Niners as a whole in preseason looked like they were living up to the hype.
Alex Smith is never going to look good, but he looked OK I'll give him that benefit of a doubt last preseason.

Then came the regular season and......

:clapping:

Ohhh...........They went 0-5.

So far looking at the Lions, they seem to have given the Pats everything, to win it.
You can tell they are putting far more into these preseason games than any other teams, which is why I'm starting to doubt them a bit.

Going 4-0 in preseason is a sign that the team is going to suck in the regular season.

Look at the Colts. They will go winless in preseason and still make the playoffs.

So in contrast, the Lions look good but we don't know yet if it's just a preseason show off or the real deal.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Lions have played great so far, but were they evaluating players? And what about their opponents? I know Tom Brady played till the 3rd quarter, but that doesn't necessarily means that they were evaluating scheme. They could be seeing how their backup LT would fare with the 1sts, and so on...

All of this is to say:

The Lions did look good, and if they were playing to win, gameplanning to exploit the Patrots, and if the Patriots did the same, then it's an indicament that they'll be a though team to beat in the regular season.

But, otherwise, you can't conclude that.

In 4 quarters, against a team that is completely focused, when it matters, it's a completely different thing.

The results of that Patriots game have been overblown by the Lions and the media. I'd like to see the Lions against the Patriots when the Patriots actually played all their starters. 7 (count em) 7 of their defensive starters weren't at the game. I watched the game. The Patriots offense wasn't doing anything other than evaluation, even when their offense had mostly starters on the field.

Now let's say the Patriots starters are there. Their d then makes it harder on the Lions offense to move the ball. The Patriots get a chance to have their offense on the field more. This makes the Lions D have to take the field more...and the dominoes start falling.

Your analysis of pre-season is spot on. Don't crown them a winning team until they actually show it in the regular season.

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The secret to winning against the Lions is:

Not to let Rodgers get hurt by that front 4 by keeping a RB to block and game for checkdown passes.
Double Megatron.
Roll away from Suh or throw screen passes over him. Win win. Make him run and don't let him touch you.
Throw shorter routes to TE's.
Blitz the Lions QB.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions fan here, i come in peace.

I dont think the vikings will do as bad as people think.

Personally I think the vikings are going to give us the hardest time in the division. Our run block BLOWS, and any real running threat pretty much negates our great pass rush.

I also believe that they have a much easier schedule, from a technicality standpoint. Such as, Oakland and Denver at home, and the fact that they get a easy game with the panthers away, instead of at home. These type of things matter with teams like det. and min. not so much for a team like yours. Even playing the chargers away in the beginning of the season as opposed to us playing em home late is an advantage considering chargers are usually slow starters.

Packers 12-4
Minnesota 9-7
Detroit 8-8
Chicago 6-10

On a side note, enjoy the easy top spot for at MOST 2 years. Once we build the Oline and solid run game it wont be so easy. 2014 is our TRUE breakout season. Even until then, teams will have to earn their wins.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum, LionsFan. I have more faith in your team than you do. I think the Vikings are a shell of a team with no real substance. The Bears are just a bunch of bumbling, fumbling clowns.
Packers 13-3
Detroit 9-7
Chicago 8-8
Minnesota 6-10

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one can judge whether or not the Lions as 1 unit are for real until the regular season begins, but man that DL is sure for real. I'll be scared for Rodger's health whenever we play them.

Staff online

Members online