The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something I just wanted to get off my chest. Sometimes I read other forums. Not just one guy but sometimes someone will say something like..."well I'll just say one thing...Love is not it." It bugs me because if you say that about every young QB; you are most always gonna be right in the long run. It just does so not take a genius to say something when the odds are just on your side. Doesn't matter if you know a damn thing about football or not. Just saying.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something I just wanted to get off my chest. Sometimes I read other forums. Not just one guy but sometimes someone will say something like..."well I'll just say one thing...Love is not it." It bugs me because if you say that about every young QB; you are most always gonna be right in the long run. It just does so not take a genius to say something when the odds are just on your side. Doesn't matter if you know a damn thing about football or not. Just saying.
I know the conventional argument is that he plays with the 2s, 3s, and 4s. Yes. But I hear what you are saying. And I believe you are right. Maybe we are wrong. But I just do not see it.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well we know Mark Murphy/Brian Gutekunst do not think Love is "it." Because if they did they would not have extended Aaron Rodgers for $50 million per season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been a fan of Love, or the pick, and think he was just the whipping post for some bad decisions by the GM. For whatever reason, Gluten thought Rodgers' days were coming to an end and he needed a top-shelf college QB. So he took Love, and Packer fans, including me, mostly went nuts. We were all certain Gluten was going to take a WR and weren't ready to settle for anything else. (Somewhat ironic because all of the round 1 WRs were gone when the Packers picked. They could have taken Tee Higgins, but that would have been a huge reach.)

And apparently Gluten hadn't bothered to have a talk with Rodgers, the most important guy on the team. Rodgers can be a diva, but after all he's done, Gluten should have talked to him that taking a QB was a possibility well before the draft.

Anyway, enter Love. No one is paying attention to him though because Rodgers is saying he won't play for Green Bay again. Hurt feelings. So all Spring and Summer we're going back on forth on the implications. Will he play, won't he, will he be traded, what would a trade look like???????? And hanging over all of this is the possibility that Love will be the starting QB in September. WTF!

And so Rodgers holds out of OTAs and minicamps, but resolves his issue with Gluten and shows up for camp. Now all eyes are back on Love. He better be good, dammit!

And that whole **** show from Rodgers wasn't fair to Love, the fans, or any of the guys on the team. Love plays so-so in pre-season, Covid ****s everything up, and fans are restless and now saying Love isn't going to work.

Fast forward - Rodgers has two MVP seasons after Gluten is sure he's done, fans aren't happy with Love's second camp in 2021, but the team wins 13 games before bowing out against SF.

This season, well through camp and two games, Love is starting to look much better. I'm ok giving him the chance he deserves, without distractions. That means he finishes this PS and 2023, and maybe starts earlier than we thought if Rodgers retires.

But back to your point gopkrs, it doesn't take much to say a rookie QB will fail because most do. As fans though, we should want Love to do well. He's a Packer. So no more talk of "bust" or any of that crap. Give him the chance he deserves and withhold judgement.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It’s a whole brand of fan. They’re homers in the negative. They’re no less biased or blind than someone who thinks every player is going to the HOF.

But you also have to realize that people who are overly emotional use forums as their outlet. A lot of times they’re just kicking the dog when they come on here and say things like that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we know Mark Murphy/Brian Gutekunst do not think Love is "it." Because if they did they would not have extended Aaron Rodgers for $50 million per season.
I hadn't thought about it that way. They paid Rodgers like a 2-consecutive, 4-time-total MVP. These days that's worth $50 mil/year. I think the decision had more to do with Rodgers play though than Love.

The only thing to wonder (or worry!) about is how long Rodgers is gonna play. As long as he's able is what I think and all in GB. He'll make a cool $100 mil over the next two years, and fan or not I think he's still the best QB in the NFL. One year it will be Josh Allen's turn. Not this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a whole brand of fan. They’re homers in the negative. They’re no less biased or blind than someone who thinks every player is going to the HOF.

But you also have to realize that people who are overly emotional use forums as their outlet. A lot of times they’re just kicking the dog when they come on here and say things like that.
All good points. "Homers of the negative" - I think you should trademark that. And yeah, these forums are just as bad as email or text messages. People feel emboldened hiding behind some user name and avatar.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Jordan Love issue has always been pretty simple to me.

1) The majority of fans hated the move and were either unwilling or unable to separate that from hating the player.

2) Whether they admit it or not, most people root to be right just as much or more than for the team. Once they conflated their hatred for the pick with their hatred for the player, they began rooting for him to fail.

3) Love was always a traits-based prospect who was going to need time before anyone would know if he’s an NFL success or failure.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Disagree. They could very easily like Love’s potential for the future even in light of Rodgers’ extension.

When they drafted Love, Rodgers had not played at an elite level for years. Right after drafting him, he started playing at an MVP level. So the situation and timetable changed.

The extension is likely much more about how they feel about Rodgers since he started to flourish under LaFleur than about how they feel about Love.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I thought this throw on Goal to go was one of his less accurate. However upon replay its less 6” from being caught. I don’t think he could’ve lowered it much more without risking a tipped ball (risking INT) or allowing his guy to get hammered. Either way Deguara would’ve been led out of bound in the 4 yard line area. So not the best play design there needing 8 yards on 3rd down n goal, imo

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love's decision making on 2 of the INTs last week wasn't stellar. Doubs shoulda come down with the one but Love shouldn't have thrown it there. The 3rd INT last week had me cussing at the tv. The other thing right now that is concerning me is completion % and yardage, especially last night. He may be another all-pro hall of fame QB for the Packers, but the decision makers may have to bring in a high pick QB to push him his 1st year as a starter whether that is 2023 or whenever.

Also NEW RULE: Jordan Love can NOT throw to Tyler Davis anymore!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. They could very easily like Love’s potential for the future even in light of Rodgers’ extension.

When they drafted Love, Rodgers had not played at an elite level for years. Right after drafting him, he started playing at an MVP level. So the situation and timetable changed.

The extension is likely much more about how they feel about Rodgers since he started to flourish under LaFleur than about how they feel about Love.
You make two good points. 1) Rodgers level of play doesn't change anyone's opinion of Love's play, or potential and 2) Rodgers has excelled since MM was fired and MLF was hired. And it's not just Rodgers. That whole team grew stale under MM.

For me the question is this - assume Rodgers plays at or near the same high level for the next two years. What do the Packers do with Love? If they exercise his year 5 option, and Rodgers retires after his contract, Love could slide into the starter role. In the meantime he makes a very good backup.

But is this realistic? Does Love want to wait two more years? I would. Study under Rodgers, ignore the comments, and get ready for showtime in 2024.

(Question for the masses - what does it cost the Packers to pick up Love's 5th year option? Is that a given amount or negotiable? I don't want them to overpay for a backup.)

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make two good points. 1) Rodgers level of play doesn't change anyone's opinion of Love's play, or potential and 2) Rodgers has excelled since MM was fired and MLF was hired. And it's not just Rodgers. That whole team grew stale under MM.

For me the question is this - assume Rodgers plays at or near the same high level for the next two years. What do the Packers do with Love? If they exercise his year 5 option, and Rodgers retires after his contract, Love could slide into the starter role. In the meantime he makes a very good backup.

But is this realistic? Does Love want to wait two more years? I would. Study under Rodgers, ignore the comments, and get ready for showtime in 2024.

(Question for the masses - what does it cost the Packers to pick up Love's 5th year option? Is that a given amount or negotiable? I don't want them to overpay for a backup.)
What I need from Love right now is that Rodgers-esque Dallas game that we saw in Favre's last year.

I think the 5th year option is a set price but I don't know what that number is. If this is the situation, and knowing Rodgers is around for maybe 2-3 years more (Assuming he doesn't leave via trade at the end of this year) when do you draft QBOF?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s a recent article on Love

Good article. They missed one play that was easy to miss, but it showed Love's maturity. Late in Q1. Packers 2nd or 3rd and goal. Love rolls left and has a wide open DeGuarra around the five. Problem is that a Saint defender read it and rolled with Love. If Love sticks to the plan and throws where DeGuarra is expecting it, it's an INT and maybe a pic 6. Love intentionally throws wide of the defender and DeGuarra. Incompletion. But Love had no route to get DeGuarra the ball, so he kinda threw it away. Except it looked like a bad pass. It wasn't.

That was the play of a cool and mature QB. The play wasn't there. Live to fight another day. They got a FG. It could have been a swing of 10 pts in the wrong direction.

I can't believe no one saw that so maybe I'm nuts. But I liked the non-play, especially deep in the red zone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought this throw on Goal to go was one of his less accurate. However upon replay its less 6” from being caught. I don’t think he could’ve lowered it much more without risking a tipped ball (risking INT) or allowing his guy to get hammered. Either way Deguara would’ve been led out of bound in the 4 yard line area. So not the best play design there needing 8 yards on 3rd down n goal, imo
Thanks for the pics. I saw that play differently. Love knew if he threw the ball where DeGuarra was expecting it, it's tipped, knocked down or picked for 6. Love threw it high and wide and still almost hit the receiver. That was the play of a cool, mature QB. They "settled" for a FG. It could have been much worse.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

One point I disagree with.

Rodgers has excelled since his second year with LaFleur. In his first year, there was some improvement from 2018, but overall his production was comparable.

I think that’s a major reason why they drafted Love. They had made a switch at head coach and Rodgers hadn’t quite responded. Some believe that he was resistant.

As to your question about what they do if Rodgers continues at this level and wants to keep going, that’s simple. Trade Love.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Stop posting logic…it isn’t handled well by some.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One point I disagree with.

Rodgers has excelled since his second year with LaFleur. In his first year, there was some improvement from 2018, but overall his production was comparable.

I think that’s a major reason why they drafted Love. They had made a switch at head coach and Rodgers hadn’t quite responded. Some believe that he was resistant.

As to your question about what they do if Rodgers continues at this level and wants to keep going, that’s simple. Trade Love.
That's true about Rodgers first year with MLF. They still won 13 games, and in the course of the season, Rodgers became convinced MLF was the real deal.

As for trading Love, that will depend on if there is a market for him. He'll likely have value as a backup. I just don't think he'd accept that as a career role. He controls his future, his trade value, and his earnings. But like any other job, ya gotta produce.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He'll likely have value as a backup. I just don't think he'd accept that as a career role. He controls his future, his trade value, and his earnings. But like any other job, ya gotta produce.
He already is a backup and of value to the team he is currently with. Not to mention that he has shown quite a bit of improvement this year, just ask MLF, Rodgers or his teammates. So why would a team that has 3 straight seasons of 13 wins, has a 38 year old QB, that has contemplated retiring or asking for a trade twice, be interested in trading Love?

I also don't agree that he currently directly controls his future, trade value or earnings. The Packers at this point have more control of all those things.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't been a fan of Love, or the pick, and think he was just the whipping post for some bad decisions by the GM. For whatever reason, Gluten thought Rodgers' days were coming to an end and he needed a top-shelf college QB. So he took Love, and Packer fans, including me, mostly went nuts. We were all certain Gluten was going to take a WR and weren't ready to settle for anything else. (Somewhat ironic because all of the round 1 WRs were gone when the Packers picked. They could have taken Tee Higgins, but that would have been a huge reach.)

And apparently Gluten hadn't bothered to have a talk with Rodgers, the most important guy on the team. Rodgers can be a diva, but after all he's done, Gluten should have talked to him that taking a QB was a possibility well before the draft.

Anyway, enter Love. No one is paying attention to him though because Rodgers is saying he won't play for Green Bay again. Hurt feelings. So all Spring and Summer we're going back on forth on the implications. Will he play, won't he, will he be traded, what would a trade look like???????? And hanging over all of this is the possibility that Love will be the starting QB in September. WTF!

And so Rodgers holds out of OTAs and minicamps, but resolves his issue with Gluten and shows up for camp. Now all eyes are back on Love. He better be good, dammit!

And that whole **** show from Rodgers wasn't fair to Love, the fans, or any of the guys on the team. Love plays so-so in pre-season, Covid ****s everything up, and fans are restless and now saying Love isn't going to work.

Fast forward - Rodgers has two MVP seasons after Gluten is sure he's done, fans aren't happy with Love's second camp in 2021, but the team wins 13 games before bowing out against SF.

This season, well through camp and two games, Love is starting to look much better. I'm ok giving him the chance he deserves, without distractions. That means he finishes this PS and 2023, and maybe starts earlier than we thought if Rodgers retires.

But back to your point gopkrs, it doesn't take much to say a rookie QB will fail because most do. As fans though, we should want Love to do well. He's a Packer. So no more talk of "bust" or any of that crap. Give him the chance he deserves and withhold judgement.
Why aren't other Love " haters" ( that's a loosely used term) as level headed as you?
that is perfect assessment

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Re bolded portion ....... February 2020, Gutekunst told Rodgers there was a possibility/probability that a QB would be drafted.

Edit: No one here knows what exactly Gutekunst thought about Rodgers back in the winter of 2020. You don't know whether Gutekunst thought he was "done" or not.

We hadn't seen anything in the previous 4 seasons to lead anyone to believe that he was still capable of back to back MVP seasons.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

And............ you also have the fantasy football geeks, many of who equate ffb points as the true value of a professional football player.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why aren't other Love " haters" ( that's a loosely used term) as level headed as you?
that is perfect assessment
Thanks LTF. So much has been said over the time Love was drafted, I thought it best to write a summary of what I believed was the case. It's from memory, so some things may not be completely correct. But I think it's about 99% accurate.

There are no doubt Love "haters" out there. I'm not one of them. Now there are a lot of things I question about the pick and Love's abilities. But if anything, I feel bad for the guy as he came in right in the middle of a "family" fight between Gluten and Rodgers (and some fans incorrectly decided that was Love's fault). Love may be the only one in this circus who is truly blameless. Bottom line is that he's a Packer and it's in his best interest and in our best interest as fans that he succeed.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re bolded portion ....... February 2020, Gutekunst told Rodgers there was a possibility/probability that a QB would be drafted.

Edit: No one here knows what exactly Gutekunst thought about Rodgers back in the winter of 2020. You don't know whether Gutekunst thought he was "done" or not.

We hadn't seen anything in the previous 4 seasons to lead anyone to believe that he was still capable of back to back MVP seasons.
The points you make are fair. We can't know what was in Gluten's mind re: Rodgers skills. And I personally would never have bet that Rodgers would win two more MVPs. Now I didn't think he was washed up, and I didn't think drafting any QB was necessary. But back-to-back MVPs in his late 30s? No way. But he did it. And that just made the Love pick look worse, through no fault of Love's. Fans should give Love a break and let him show what he can do. That includes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.