The Jets are done

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It's pretty clear now, I think the Jets are out of the picture.

How embarrassing is it to lose to a quarterback that can't even hit 50% of his passes?

Is that more embarrassing than cutting 2 of your best wide receivers and signing Plaxico Burress so Rex can brag how they are going to beat New England?

Before getting swept by New England, ESPN's constant one sided media love for the Jets went so far to question "Is this the best Jets team ever?" I kid you not. Not really a shock from ESPN anyway since they have always been one sided to the eastern teams from Philadelphia to the Jets, to the Cowboys.

When they signed Plaxico and cut Jericho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards for him before the season even started, I knew they were not going to make it. Braylon Edwards, love him or hate him, you cannot deny he had a break out season last year, and he made Mark Sanchez look better than he truly was 90% of the time. Cotchery also was a good receiver, and they let him end up in Pittsburgh. REAL SMART to let someone go to the team that you couldn't take out in the AFC Championship. The jets last year had 2 deep threats (Edwards and Holmes) and they had another receiver that could catch (Cotchery) now they are down to just ONE guy that is a threat (Santonio Holmes), and overall he's not doing much this season. That's real smart for when you're supposed to be proving how wrong people like me are to talk about Mark Sanchez being a huge disappointment for all the hype in his team. When you are running the ball on 3rd and long, it just shows how much you know you can't depend on your quarterback.

People love to hate Rex Ryan for his mouth, which is understandable, after all he thinks he would have beat the Packers in the Super Bowl last year even though they took out the #1 ranked defense in that game. What I really don't like about him is his big talk and no walk. You know, I'm not here to kiss Bill Bellichek's rings, I'm here to sign anyone and everyone that comes my way that hates the Patriots, so I MIGHT beat them, but not guaranteed I will.

If it wasn't for Romo and Rivers screw ups, they'd be 3-7 and really out of it by now. The funniest thing of all is no one seems surprised except the ones that hyped this team to start with; the media just as they are so surprised the dream team can't get it done.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I just had that feeling about them AGAIN. I didn't have them going 9-7 for nothing on my prediction sheet months back, and they would be sitting at 3-7 if it wasn't for Romo and Rivers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for them. I kinda like the Jets after watching them in HBO's Hard Knocks football training camp series from last year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any fondness I might have had toward the Jets was lost when Rex first opened his mouth.
I can understand that.

I think he's a hoot!
Check this out and wait till the end. It's worth it.
Warning: Some language may be NSFW.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good. I don't like the Jets anyway. This is what you get when you promise your team a SB. Didn't BB promise his Patriots one in '08? Funny how that worked out. I think the moment you start to guarantee yourself a SB is the moment you jinx yourself. The Pack is 9-0 and playing light's out, if anybody should be talking SB, it should be them. Yet you don't hear the Packers running off their mouths.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought Shanchez would be a good q.b.,he does not do well under pressure he throws balls he hopes w.r. to get problem is it's not w.r. it's corners for other teams,he should stop trying to get balls out to make that great play most times it is not there he should stop doing the Brett thing it costs games.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanchez sucks. Yes, a great defense is important but you have to be able to put points on the board. For this reason alone, the Jets won't be winning ****. rex deserves everything he doesnt get.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I forgot something

The Jets are a field goal team.

You know, you see him running and pumping his fist with a smile on his face after they kicked a field goal LOL, I haven't looked at stats, but from watching them I would not be surprised if they have a higher % of field goals rather than touchdowns, cause so many times I see them kick field goals and not even try for TD's. It's like he KNOWS his quarterback sucks, and when he can't run it down their throats, he can't depend on Sanchez, so he'll run the ball on 3rd and long and pray that he makes the field goal, cause after all you gotta remember 3 points is better than nothing.

Most the time I see them lose and they kick a bunch of field goals and put no touchdowns on the board, so the game is closer. When they played Minnesota on MNF last year, they kicked 5 field goals in a row before they finally scored a Touchdown. It's 15-0 when it could easily be 27-0 (3 TD's, 2 FG's) or even 41 to 0 if you got all TD's and no fieldgoals, but since they kicked it so much, they let the Vikings hang around in that game, and nearly win. Also their problem with New England. They'll kick field goals, but when it comes right down to it, the 7 points they needed isn't on the board when they need it the most.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The game sure exposed Sanchez. With no run game he could not move the ball at all. But he is only in his third year in a run first offense so I am holding final judgement on what kind of QB he will be.

I have judgement on Rexy though. HE SUCKS!!!!

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
I forgot something

The Jets are a field goal team.

You know, you see him running and pumping his fist with a smile on his face after they kicked a field goal LOL, I haven't looked at stats, but from watching them I would not be surprised if they have a higher % of field goals rather than touchdowns, cause so many times I see them kick field goals and not even try for TD's. It's like he KNOWS his quarterback sucks, and when he can't run it down their throats, he can't depend on Sanchez, so he'll run the ball on 3rd and long and pray that he makes the field goal, cause after all you gotta remember 3 points is better than nothing.

Most the time I see them lose and they kick a bunch of field goals and put no touchdowns on the board, so the game is closer. When they played Minnesota on MNF last year, they kicked 5 field goals in a row before they finally scored a Touchdown. It's 15-0 when it could easily be 27-0 (3 TD's, 2 FG's) or even 41 to 0 if you got all TD's and no fieldgoals, but since they kicked it so much, they let the Vikings hang around in that game, and nearly win. Also their problem with New England. They'll kick field goals, but when it comes right down to it, the 7 points they needed isn't on the board when they need it the most.

They aren't all that dissimilar from the 2000 Ravens in some aspects. They are content to settle for field goals and rely on their D. Big differences, Matt Stover was automatic, Trent Dilfer didn't turn the ball over, Kyle Richardson was pretty good at pinning opponents with his punts and the Ravens D was DOMINANT.

Jets have issues with turnovers, T.J. Conley has already punted 55 times, vs. 86 all season for Richardson, the D is out there a lot more, and they can't flip field position like the Ravens did. Plus the Jets D doesn't go out there and win games like the Ravens did, be that through take aways, points off turnovers or just completely shutting the opponents down.

Rex needs to realize that was a special group, whereas the Jets are just, well, special.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love seeing the Jets, and Eagles FLOP!!!
Number one, I don't like either team.
Number two, they like buying players from other teams. We know all about the Deam Team Eagles. But the Jets bought in LaDanian, and both of their starting WRs are former Steelers in Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. Of course Plax was also a Giant. Both of those WRs are shady people as well as evidenced by jail time, arrests, drug charges, suspensions, etc.
And number three, I hate the East Coast Bias/hype!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Number two, they like buying players from other teams. We know all about the Deam Team Eagles. But the Jets bought in LaDanian, and both of their starting WRs are former Steelers in Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. Of course Plax was also a Giant. Both of those WRs are shady people as well as evidenced by jail time, arrests, drug charges, suspensions, etc.
Yeah, Jets are overrated.
They aren't quiet like their Giant counterpart.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
They aren't all that dissimilar from the 2000 Ravens in some aspects. They are content to settle for field goals and rely on their D. Big differences, Matt Stover was automatic, Trent Dilfer didn't turn the ball over, Kyle Richardson was pretty good at pinning opponents with his punts and the Ravens D was DOMINANT.

Jets have issues with turnovers, T.J. Conley has already punted 55 times, vs. 86 all season for Richardson, the D is out there a lot more, and they can't flip field position like the Ravens did. Plus the Jets D doesn't go out there and win games like the Ravens did, be that through take aways, points off turnovers or just completely shutting the opponents down.

Rex needs to realize that was a special group, whereas the Jets are just, well, special.

While the Ravens did rely heavily on their defense, I remember them running the ball well too, they didn't have to rely on Dilfer that much, as he was not much of a QB to start with, similar to Sanchez, but the problem with them is, the jets have been running the same offense for 3 years now, and by the third year, they aren't running the ball that well because it's sunk down into the minds of the league that, they have to take out their strength to rattle that offense.

But so far this year, the Jets defense isn't that great either if they can't stop a below average quarterback that has yet to complete 50% of his passes. And when they do play great against average offenses (Baltimore) they blow it with their own offense and Sanchez's screw ups. Losing to Tebow is worse than losing to Romo and Rivers, 2 quarterbacks that would have already put them out of their misery with a 3-7 record had they not thrown picks.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

While that is true in a way, they actually had a team build up going when they brought in Braylon Edwards with Holmes, and Jericho Cotchery was another good WR. They totally shot themselves in the foot by cutting Edwards and Cotchery (and letting Cotchery go to Pittsburgh on top of that was even more dumb) so they could sign more star power in Plaxico Burress, whom BTW, was very very risky. They only signed him cause he had success against New England and hates them (same reason they signed Santonio Holmes), they really didn't know if he was going to come out of the pen and perform like he did before he got in all that trouble, which so far he's not been impressive. I seen him as a bad apple to start with when the very first thing he did as a Jet was start badmouthing the Giants and coach Tom Coughlin.

LaDanlin Tomlinson was probably their most smart move in signing star power, but that also is on the chart of dumb moves by the Chargers getting rid of great players. They let LD go last year, now they let Darren Sproles go, and then they wonder why they lead the league in fumbles by an RB.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I had predicted before the start of the regular season that the Jets wouldn't make the playoffs this year. Their defense isn't near as dominant as it was the last two seasons and Mark Sanchez just hasn't evolved as a QB. I used to think it was Shottenheimer holding the reigns too tight on Sanchez but here this guy is in his 3rd seasons and he's still making bad decisions, staring down receivers, telegraphing his throws.

The Jets claim to be a ground and pound offense but every week they come out and try to be an air show.

They keep deviating from their identity which is running the ball, but their offensive line isn't as good as it's been in years past, and they don't really have a running back that fits the philosophy of playing smash-mouth football. I'm not a big fan of Shonn Greene and LT was never a RB that could pound the ball up the middle and get tough yards not to mention the guy is old.

Until the Jets realize that they aren't a finesse air it out offense, they are going to continue to struggle. And if they plan on The Sanchize leading this team, he needs to develop into a smarter quarterbacck

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little torn. I actually like Rex, but otherwise hate the Jets.

They're in some serious trouble though. Sanchez just hasn't shown any indication that he's going to develop into a top quarterback, but he's not bad enough for them to justify cutting their losses with him. It's the worst possible situation for them to be in. My guess is they're stuck with Sanchez for a quite a while and they're just not going to get where they want to go.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Agreed. Jets need to rebuild the team that puts less responsibility in the hands of Sanchez considering that this is probably as good as he's going to be. They need to figure out whats wrong with the defense and get it fixed. Rex is trying to make a team similar to the Ravens squad he coached on, but so far he hasn't quite got it right.

They need a premier back, some solid big body receivers and a premier tight end as an outlet. Sanchez right now is capable of nothing more than being a game manager, and he's being asked to be more than that, not only by his coach but probably his receivers too.

I also think Rex Ryan is making it harder for Sanchez too. When you have a loudmouth jerk like Rex trying to pull a Joe Namath every season talking about guaranteeing superbowls that puts even more pressure on Sanchez as if the guy doesn't already have enough pressure on him being a QB for a New York football team.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree about Cotchery. He is what, the Steelers' #5 WR? I doubt he'll have anything to do with the Jets losing to/being less competitive than Pitt.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't think he will ever lead the Jets to the SB. He may one day prove me wrong, but he just doesn't seem to be a leader. He's a good QB, but not great. He lacks the consistency of a great or elite QB.

His stats in the playoffs are surprising though. I think losing in two straight AFCCG's is a result of just poor game management. They should have beaten the Steelers but their lackadaisical playcalling and time mangement in the redzone on that last offensive drive is what killed them

Members online

Latest posts