The Importance of McCarthy

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we begin the process of rebuilding the Packers, never under estimate the value and importance of the head coach. Even more so than Ted Thompson, the head coach is the inspiration behind the way the team plays, how they handle pressure, how they grow as a team and how they mature on the field. I don't know what this guy is going to look like, but I do know for him to win in Green Bay he not only has to earn the respect of his players, he has to surround himself with good teachers who are also respected. He has to demand a discipline and he has to create a team first attitude. Each of those players has to feel an obligation to each other to make sure that they are fulfilling their assignments and playing ******* every play. McCarthy has to set the expectations of this team high and yet he has to teach this team how to win. That last statement may seem crazy in thought, but you can have a very talented team and still not be good enough to win. This team has to learn what level they have to play at to win those close games, to beat the teams they should and how to get up for those teams that are better than we are. .

Mike McCarthy is fortunate in many ways because he's following a coach who appeared to under achieve. I didn't say he underachieved, I said he appeared to under achieve. I believe there were many on this board who believed that this team should have won more in the playoffs and should have gotten to at least one Superbowl. McCarthy doesn't have that kind of talent on this team, but what he does have to do is coach this team above what the talent level is. The great one's can do that. The great coaches make a difference. The great coaches surround themselves with talented coaches and if someone doesn't produce he has the courage to let them go. He needs to be loyal, yet he needs to stay removed enough to be able to make those judgments. As Ron Wolf once said, it's important in evaluating talent that you don't fall in love with your players. It skews the evaluation process. I believe that is also true with your coaches. Mike Sherman blundered by staying loyal to his offensive coordinator, when the best thing he could have done was let him go. Lots of things have to fall in place for this team to be successful. It would be great if we could find a diamond in the rough as Holmgren did with Favre. It would be great if we could get back to the point where some aging free agents might play for less for a chance to play and win for the Green Bay Packers as Sean Jones and host of others did in the 90's. You have to be little bit lucky, but mostly you better have a coach that brings out the best in everyone. McCarthy needs to be that guy in Green Bay.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True.

At least, i think, we can all agree that Sherman was not a great coach. Mediocre, at best, i say. McCarthy just has to be better than Sherman to be successful.

Favre made Sherman look much better than he actually was.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman was bad bar none....see the game in Philly in the Divisional playoffs in the 03-04 season...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
When I think of Sherman I can't help but think of losing the first ever Playoff game at Lambeau and Brett's streak of 34 degrees or lower streak being snapped.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although it helps to have talent to work with, I think the key to being a good coach is to be able to coach both before and during games. To me, Sherman was only able to do one of the two. We'll see what McCarthy can do.

Reaction score
Right on packedhouse, except I would disagree with you about players taking less money to come to GB. Sadly, I think those days are long over, where players will be willing to take pay cuts in order to go to a championship contender. Players (most of them, soon to be all IMO) no longer take less money even from the teams they have stayed on with for an eternity, because greed has consumed NFL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts