The importance of Kuhn

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at and notice everything with the offense. From personnel packages, to formations, and tendency traits from both Rodgers and MM. One thing that did stand out?? was Kuhn played a lot more on offense this game than he has all year long. You also so more Cobb in the backfield and carrying the ball than you have all year long as well.

What Cobb lacks in size he doesn't in heart. He runs hard and how many times did he make something out if nothing? I've said this allll year!! To use him like Seattle and Minnesota used Harvin..it's only going to HELP the offense. Also having Kuhn in helps as well because he gives you not only an extra blocker he's a good wr as well and many teams aren't expecting a FB to be significant parts if the passing game but he is. Look at the scoring drives...no coincidence that the offense looks better when Kuhn is on the field.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at and notice everything with the offense. From personnel packages, to formations, and tendency traits from both Rodgers and MM. One thing that did stand out?? was Kuhn played a lot more on offense this game than he has all year long. You also so more Cobb in the backfield and carrying the ball than you have all year long as well.

What Cobb lacks in size he doesn't in heart. He runs hard and how many times did he make something out if nothing? I've said this allll year!! To use him like Seattle and Minnesota used Harvin..it's only going to HELP the offense. Also having Kuhn in helps as well because he gives you not only an extra blocker he's a good wr as well and many teams aren't expecting a FB to be significant parts if the passing game but he is. Look at the scoring drives...no coincidence that the offense looks better when Kuhn is on the field.
I agree, he's more valuable than many give him credit for.
He really is a valuable all around player.
I love what he brings to the field, he plays with alot of heart.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking about him last night during the game as well. He seems to know the offense as well as Rodgers, and is often communicating audibles and alignments to other skill players. His blitz pickup is still good and he appears to gain more yards per play than in the past. I'll look it up...

In 2015 he's right at his career average* of 3.1 yards per carry. He's above his 7.0 career average* in yards per reception in 2015 at 9.3 yards per reception.

*Packers career averages; does not include his first season in Pittsburgh (2 carries, 1 reception)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His experience and the fact that with this line, he NEEDS to be in there for protection pick ups on offense to give Rodgers time. Get the offense flowing. Get the chains moving and things get easier for our line. He's experienced and savy enough to get the blocks done and where.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I look at and notice everything with the offense. From personnel packages, to formations, and tendency traits from both Rodgers and MM.
Then it’s even more surprising that you would post:
Those lame *** crossing routes? Same two running plays? McCarthy is garbage...
You've known this for months yet you call the same 4 passing plays??
You post as if all crossing routes are the same and that you can only identify 4 passing plays and 2 running plays. IMO someone who notices “everything with the offense” wouldn’t write those posts.

But I agree about Kuhn. With the state of the OL as it is, he’s been a particularly valuable asset picking up blitzes and “non-blitzers” who break through the OL.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my gripe with cobb in the backfield is this: we're already pretty thin at the WR position as it is. Cobb took one or two big hits in the game last night and you have to imagine he's not used to getting banged around so much as the regular RBs are.

Reaction score
my gripe with cobb in the backfield is this: we're already pretty thin at the WR position as it is. Cobb took one or two big hits in the game last night and you have to imagine he's not used to getting banged around so much as the regular RBs are.
I understand where you are coming from with Cobb and hits he took
(I contemplated the same thing) I think my determination is it's an exception in the playoffs. risk vs reward so to speak. Just look at how important many of those plays were in controlling our down n distance.
I noticed we only used him until we attained a good lead, which told me our coaches understand risk mitigation.
The icing on the cake is that Cobb became a dual threat and was able to tap into his primary talent.. His burst Speed I loved what this game did for Randall's confidence and I was very proud of his ground game contribution. I wouldn't change a thing

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Most undervalued player on this roster. Hes good at getting key blocks and his a good power runner. He was also critcal in that game against Chicago few years back when he blocked Peppers from getting to Rodgers so he had time to get the Ball to Cobb on that 4th down play to win the game.

We gotta keep him what other FB would be better than him? We gotta keep the Veteran talent that we got as we need leaders. Im glad he is a captain for the playoffs hes been here long time and he has earned the respect of the teammates.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My memory is failing me, but was it Kuhn or Starks that had that shoestring catch on what looked to be a busted screen play? Whoever that was, it was a hell of a play.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the veteran minimum that they're paying him, he's a steal. It'd be nice to have a third down back that could pick up a blitz and actually be a threat with the ball, but there's no disputing that the offense works better with him out there. I assume it's because he knows the offense so well; if it were just something physical then Ripkowski would be getting some snaps here and there. The fact that it's always just Kuhn out there makes me think that it's about knowing what's happening and Arod knowing that he's a little safer with Kuhn back there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My memory is failing me, but was it Kuhn or Starks that had that shoestring catch on what looked to be a busted screen play? Whoever that was, it was a hell of a play.
pretty sure it was Starks, and it was a heck of a catch in traffic. there was a lot going on in there and to catch it and get up field that quickly was a huge play. It got my heart pumping

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then it’s even more surprising that you would post: You post as if all crossing routes are the same and that you can only identify 4 passing plays and 2 running plays. IMO someone who notices “everything with the offense” wouldn’t write those posts.

But I agree about Kuhn. With the state of the OL as it is, he’s been a particularly valuable asset picking up blitzes and “non-blitzers” who break through the OL.

Of course you try to out a negative soon on my post.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year there seem to be a few members on here who want to cut him. I just don't understand it. Good things happen when he is on the field and the Packers are a better team with John Kuhn.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality is that TT typically cuts veterans before they become liabilities. There are obvious exceptions such as AJ Hawk. However, he clearly established his philosophy in the beginning by cutting Marco Rivera. In 2015 the Packers drafted Ripkowski so that Kuhn could groom his own replacement. How long we keep Kuhn likely depends on how well Ripkowski progresses.

It's arguable that we could've had a competent backup at LT if we weren't carrying two fullbacks on our roster, or a speedy young receiver or pass-catching tight end. Kuhn is no lock for 2016, despite his leadership and ability to still bring it.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported: "Kuhn, an 11-year veteran, wouldn't admit that he addressed the entire team, but some players talked Wednesday [Jan 6] about the message he delivered to them this week...'We have to spark a fire underneath our tails and get us going this week.'"

His off-the-field leadership may have been as important as his on-the-field contributions.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The reality is that TT typically cuts veterans before they become liabilities. There are obvious exceptions such as AJ Hawk. However, he clearly established his philosophy in the beginning by cutting Marco Rivera.
I agree that's Thompson's general philosophy but Rivera isn't an example of it: He signed a 4-year contract in 2001 making him a free agent in 2005. I believe Thompson wanted to retain him (because there was no way he could keep Wahle the other OG) but Jerry Jones offered Marco way too much money to sign with the Cowboys. It would have been foolish for Thompson to match that offer.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I admit I was once a why do we need Khun critic, be his toughness,and and leadership should put him when he retires'in the HOF, and jersey retired....

D

Deleted member 6794

It's arguable that we could've had a competent backup at LT if we weren't carrying two fullbacks on our roster, or a speedy young receiver or pass-catching tight end.

The Packers kept nine offensive linemen, five receivers with Abbrederis next on the depth chart and three tight ends with Perillo being the next man up.

Cutting Kuhn wouldn't have resulted in another impact player making the roster.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn is a great short yardage back, a good blocker, and an important member of the special teams. Ripkowski looks to be a good replacement if and when Kuhn is not signed.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers kept nine offensive linemen, five receivers with Abbrederis next on the depth chart and three tight ends with Perillo being the next man up.

Cutting Kuhn wouldn't have resulted in another impact player making the roster.
Cut it up how you want it, but I'm merely stating that it's unlikely TT will keep two FBs again because depth at other positions is more important. My central argument isn't the specific position (those were examples), it's the roster spot.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that's Thompson's general philosophy but Rivera isn't an example of it: He signed a 4-year contract in 2001 making him a free agent in 2005. I believe Thompson wanted to retain him (because there was no way he could keep Wahle the other OG) but Jerry Jones offered Marco way too much money to sign with the Cowboys. It would have been foolish for Thompson to match that offer.
True, but you can't discount how TT's philosophy played into that decision. He let our two top guards go in the offseason hoping to draft and develop younger/cheaper talent. From a cap perspective, he could have kept one of them but that wasn't the direction he wanted to go.

It's a mixed bag about whether he was right. Rivera suffered career-ending injuries in Dallas and Wahl went on to play a few more above-average years before going down hill. On the flip side, it took many years before Lang and Sitton came to anchor the guard positions.

Members online

Latest posts