The Freeeeeeezer!

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You dont know how often they may have practiced that particular play during the weeks, already proved to be a great play action threat, NFC championship game, I bet any team would bite on it.

Doesn't matter how long they practiced the play - it wasn't the situation to run it - IMO. It worked however, and no one second guesses a coaches call or decision when the play works. If the Falcons convert on 4th down two weeks ago, no one would have second guessed the call - it would have been a great call. Same thing with the first on-side kick that Tampa tried on Sunday. Raji held onto the ball, he scored, you are are excited thinking it was a great call, and all is good. Watch the replay again. That is a bam-bam play that happens so quickly that if Raji does not have his hands and arms positioned properly, the ball comes out. You see it almost every week with experienced runningbacks that have taken 1000's of handoffs since they were kids.

If that ball pops out, and Tampa recovers, there is a good chance with "how well" the defense was playing that they are 10-1 and this forum is blowing up with posts and threads about how dumb the call is. Not saying I didn't enjoy watching Raji score, just saying there is no upside to that play call in that situation - at that time of the game.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yes, 31st in Defense in yards allowed, 32nd in passing yards allowed, and 26th in the league on allowing opponents to covert on 3rd down. I wish I would have seen that piece on the NFL network about how well they are doing...
It was about the line not the whole D. Cheer up my friend, we are not perfect but were 10-0:D

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It was about the line not the whole D. Cheer up my friend, we are not perfect but were 10-0:D
That is some seriously clever stuff RCC. We're not perfect but we're 10-0. With your permission I'm going to interject it into every single conversation about football with the numerous Bears fans at work.
In fact, I intend to use it as often as I can in conversations about football until the Packers lose. By that time it will become vernacular American slang or at least Packerspeak.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a good laugh at the bar today over this. Haha GO PACK! He's my brother's fave player and we're getting him a jersey for Christmas. I'm excited to see his reaction :) They need to built a ramp so Raji can do a modified leap!
A small elevator?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't he run around high five-ing the fans in the end zone or would that be excessive celebration~??
I swear your the twin sister I never knew I had cause I was having the same thoughts.
"He could run around high fiving the fans there."
It would be bitter sweet to see that.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know this is the second time the Freezer has had a touchdown.
Once on D and now this one on O.
How many other players in the NFL can brag about that!?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how long they practiced the play - it wasn't the situation to run it - IMO. It worked however, and no one second guesses a coaches call or decision when the play works. If the Falcons convert on 4th down two weeks ago, no one would have second guessed the call - it would have been a great call. Same thing with the first on-side kick that Tampa tried on Sunday. Raji held onto the ball, he scored, you are are excited thinking it was a great call, and all is good. Watch the replay again. That is a bam-bam play that happens so quickly that if Raji does not have his hands and arms positioned properly, the ball comes out. You see it almost every week with experienced runningbacks that have taken 1000's of handoffs since they were kids.

If that ball pops out, and Tampa recovers, there is a good chance with "how well" the defense was playing that they are 10-1 and this forum is blowing up with posts and threads about how dumb the call is. Not saying I didn't enjoy watching Raji score, just saying there is no upside to that play call in that situation - at that time of the game.

You are not in practice to see how well he handles it..He may have a natural ability to receive a handoff, we do not know..

"Any" situation they would have ran it, you would have complained...Any point on the field other than near their goaline would have been bad for a fumble..

Your talking about a "what if" scenario....focus on what actually happened..Like Rodgers int that did LEAD to the Bucs scoring...

His job is not throw int, but he did...I say focus on that negative play and not the one that never happened..

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
he needs to dance more in the end zone.

Raji has as many rushing TDs as Starks
I know, Right... I was looking for the Dance, I have a tee that says "Teach me to Raji". I would have at least liked to have seen at least a Lambeau high five. That's what I like about this kid. He's all work and no show. The big boys on the lines are who win and lose the games.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Yeah...only fans with "longtime" memories will understand. It was certainly sweet to see The Freezer replay The Refrigerator's move but yes, it would have been sweeter against the Bears! (revenge > 25 years in the making). I would have been ecstatic to see the Freezer up in the stands...I have no doubt that the big man has some hidden leaping ability. ;)

Raji already did a number on the Bears!!! Who can forget the BJ dance in the end zone?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Although I disagree with him, kudos to Helmets for criticizing a play that worked. It’s easy to praise a long TD pass or to criticize a missed tackle (or six). All plays that work aren’t good calls and visa versa.

McCarthy was asked specifically about Raji's TD in a radio interview I heard today. He said that play is a “base play in their goal line package” (as is the play in which Raji blocks instead of handling the ball). He said they put it in and practiced it throughout TC and they practice it every week. The best argument against it IMO is Raji is already overworked on D – for a man his size he plays an incredible percentage of the plays on D. But look what they’ve set up now. Teams have to prepare for a 337 pound “FB” who may lay a devastating block or get the ball in an incredibly quick-hitting wedge play on the goal line. And if they overload to stop it, you can bet McCarthy and crew have more than one variation of it that will take advantage of that overload.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts