1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The first big news for our offseason will be in March.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by JTheGreat, Feb 2, 2012.

1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    I dont know when Free agency begins, but aside from free agency the biggest news for our upcoming season will be in March. It will be whether or not Nick Collins can suit up ever again. Hes such a great player and it will be very sad if he cant. He definitely was one of our best players on defense last year, and he controls the secondary. Hes coming from a standpoint where he loves football, but he knows if he maybe takes a wrong shot there again he could be paralyzed. Would be pretty neat if he could join our coaching staff if not able to play. He was one of my favorite players to watch.

2. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Agreed, on all points. He's an outstanding player. I am optimistic, confident even, that he will play again. These neck fusion procedures have gotten so sophisticated, and doctors have gotten so good. It's not unrealistic to expect that he will heal up good as new. No guarantee, of course. But, like I said, I like his chances.

3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    I won't make predictions on this one because neck situations can be so complicated. I hope that he's able to play for us, but would rather see him take the safe route if there were a legitimate chance of reinjury or further injury.

4. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +630
    Out of curiosity, is Nick Collins' neck surgery the same as or different from the surgery that Peyton Manning underwent?

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Same. Both had fusions. Peyton has been dealing with complications stemming from the surgery from day one. Collins has been, by all accounts I've heard, problem free.

6. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Just heard news that Peyton Manning has been cleared to play again. Hopefully this is a good sign
    the Nick Collins will also be returning next season.

7. Frozencheese

Frozencheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    If he cant play, it will definitely not be because of a lack of passion or effort.

8. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    I'm getting pumped up for the draft

9. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Someone on Cheesehead TV mentioned that this is the same surgery that Steve Slaton and Kelvin Hayden had, and both of them were able to resume their playing careers.

Manning's issue isn't from his neck fusion, but from nerve re-generation. PFT had an excellent article on the subject saying that while Manning has supposedly been "Cleared to play," he's not really clear to play. Essentially the statement was more playing games with Jim Irsay than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Why were the Bears able to say that Johnny Knox would make a full recovery and be back for training camp at 1oo percent? He had a vertebrae fusion procedure as well, not the same location, but still a fusion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    I had a neck fusion of c 3-4,5-6 and although I am 20 years older that Collins, I can tell you that I was NEVER the same...and that was 7 years ago. But then again, I am not ramming my head into 250 lb tight ends either doing 25 mph...

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/collins-says-he-plans-to-play-again

• Like Like x 1
  13. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    That was posted yesterday

14. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Freekin Awesome!!!!! Finally a ray of sunshine.

15. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Great news! Hopefully with Collins back and young players like Tramon, Morgan Burnett, Davon House,
    Sam Shields, etc. having another year of experience it will make a huge difference in our secondary.

16. gbpowner

gbpowner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    This (said tentatively) sounds like good news! I hope for only the best for Collins but if this means life without football; then so be it. His future health is more important than playing another down of football for the Packers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +214
    I missed Nick this season! So glad to hear that he is feeling well, and HOPEFULLY he gets officially cleared to play!