The Defensive Line - Run Stuffers vs. Pass Rushers

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The discussion on "The CornerBacks" thread brought up issues with the pass rush and the DL.

Last edited:

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I agree almost completely with your classifications. Only differences I may suggest: I think CJ Wilson would definitely be in the "Run Stoppers" category, as I don't think he offers anything in the pass rush department (for the most part). Exact opposite for J. Wynn. He's supposed to be more of a pass rusher, but isn't very stout against the run. Unfortunately, neither of them are very good at what they are more than likely "supposed" to do best, so I can understand why you put them where you did.

I think I would classify Neal more as a pass rusher as opposed to both. Although maybe he will never regain the burst he once had in time for the Packer's to see. He's strong, but I think his aggressive style of play will lead to below average run defense. If he wants to be a good run defender, he will need to play more disciplined (although first, he'll obviously have to stay healthy.

I also think Worthy would be more of a pass rusher as opposed to both at this point, but I'll have to see him more to be able to say. I think he can be a good run player, but his quick first step and explosiveness make him an overall much better pass rusher . . . at least from what I saw of him in college. He will also likely have some difficulties in playing disciplined at times due to his aggressive "gap-shooting" style of play. I think it will be more a matter of coaching and learning that decides what type of player he will be, because the talent in there to be an all around beast.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If memory serves Guy was a solid run stuffer in college but was inconsistent at getting to the qb.
From what I've seen the pass rush DE usually means Bishop/Hawk is watching the run or one of the LBs are dropping into coverage

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent overview! Do you know about how often we used the Okie and Eagle in 2010?
Of course we had Collins and Jenkins on the field.

I truly believe Mike Neal is a bust. He needs to bulk up to get through big tackles and he looked so lost on the field last season when he was in there. No way could he fill Cullen Jenkins shoes. TT just missed this one.
As for Wynn and Wilson they play hard. But they are really not NFL caliber. On a number of squads they would be cut. Our LBs had to do too much run stuffing to cover for them. I remember in 2010 against Miami they both got to start due to injuries and Ricky Williams had his career resurrected. MM had to bring TJ Lang in on defense on a 4th and 1 just to get us enough beef to stop the drive.
Too bad we will only get half a season out of Hargrove. But in that light it will be right around the time one of our linemen go down and we'll need him.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
DoddPower, that was my thought on Wilson and Wynn.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts