The Bright Side Of Things

D

Deleted member 6794

As I pondered that, we’re arguing over something that doesn’t matter anyway because Cap hit has little to do with the value put on a player in a given year. Teams move $ around constantly to stay under budget. They might have a $20mil cap hit one season and $50mil the next (being radical in $ for display purposes) They don’t look a players worth as $20mil in that 1 particular season based on their cap hit.

Why on earth would a player be evaluated or penalized on just the players cap number? .. and that’s exactly the argument you brought that into.

Teams bigger concern are players average annuals payout as it relates to guaranteed money and contract term. Cap numbers are just a shell game and it’s a moving target that teams use for fiscal budgeting.

Actually teams are solely interested in the cap hit of a player and don't care about the average salary over the length of a contract. You need to understand that most deals include a bunch of money that isn't guaranteed, especially in the last years of a deal.

Let's take Aaron Jones contract for example. While he's scheduled to make $12 million a year on a four-year, $48 million contract it is actually a two-year deal worth $20 million as there's no way the Packers will allow him to count $19.25 million against their cap in 2023.

I think Tampa Bay won the SB with Trent Dilfer, and Peyton Manning was hardly a factor in Denver's last SB win. I'd rather see a balanced team, and a team that can win through its defense. Seems like teams with strong Ds win more championships, the TB/KC game being the most recent example.

The 2002 Buccaneers defense has allowed the fewest points over the past 20 years. While I would love the Packers to feature an unit like that it's unrealistic to expect it.

Reaction score
While I realize that Tom Brady has really skewed the stats of winning a SB with or without a stud QB, I have to say I would prefer having a stud QB, pay him a bit more and just be above average in other phases of the game. The Packers didn't miss out on winning Super Bowls in the last 7 or so years because of paying Rodgers too much and not being able to afford other pieces, they missed out because they didn't have above average special teams or defenses. I'm going to put that on personnel and coaching decisions that don't have all that much to do with money.
Is it just me or does this FO seem to be far more capable in general at acquiring outside talent? FA, Draft etc..
We took J’aire, Alexander, Gary, Dillon and Elgton early.
I think the only real bigger misses are Jackson and Burks.

However then add Z Smith, P Smith, Amos and Turner and we’re 9-2 on early draft picks

That doesn’t account for MVS and Martin who are 5th rounders who’ve carved a nice role.

Reaction score
Actually teams are solely interested in the cap hit of a player and don't care about the average salary over the length of a contract.
Cap hit is just the means of shelling $ around to fit it in a year to year budget and while that year to year is important..it’s not as important as the big picture. Guaranteed snd Term

Cap hits change constantly and money is being moved around constantly, so it’s a moving target
As far as your Cap argument being more important than term or guaranteed? Really? Think about what yiu are saying

Captain, car dealers must love you if all you care about is the monthly. Sign that man up for 96 months with a balloon payment.. all Captain cares about is $750/month we’re good term snd final price don’t matter to him!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

“Teams bigger concern are players average annuals payout as it relates to guaranteed money and contract term”

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the chance to see Love get most of the reps with the first string offense. Rodgers can get ready quickly so his sitting out helps the Packers see what they have with Love. I also think it's a good opportunity to see how Rodgers is supported or not supported by his teammates. It helps judge how he influences the team's chemistry. In general, I think that players build their own team chemistry with marginal influence from outside sources.

Members online

Latest posts