The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saying something that's been mentioned elsewhere with less traction.

1. His refusal to throw middle.
2. Lack of hurry up offense despite being able to change calls.
3. Less accurate throws than before.
4. Tendancy to put less INT stats above team needs.
5. Perennially less than optimal due to injuries.
6. Refusal for quick throws and prefers the spectacular.

On his day, he's a world beater and best there is...but those days seem far off and long in-between.

Even if TyM had the return in hand, I'm undecided if we could have won. Our offense sucks for reasons more than MM and I think it can't be disputed anymore.

He still is pure best option, but after new contract.... somebody should read his m the book. Winston Moss may be not far wrong, imo.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can a mod add a poll?

- is AR our key problem
- Is rest of offense our key problem
- Is defence our key problem

Edit: see I can add polls myself. Hope this is ok mods. Apologies if not.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It has been the partnership of Rodgers and McCarthy that's been a problem all year. The design of McCarthy's offense hasn't placed the personnel in position to succeed *and* Rodgers has not played well. Perhaps he's still playing through an injury. Who knows.

But it's silly to think that the Packers have now solved all their problems. They needed to move on from McCarthy, but they still need to restock the offensive line and find a coach who with an updated offense who can work with Rodgers and get some of his issues this season corrected.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense needs O line help for sure,but I think some of it the past few games have been Aaron sticking to MM’s game plan,but not executing it to the best of his ability. Kind of a big middle finger and a “told you it wouldn’t work” But who knows,the rest of the team has been a big failure also this year.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well sure Aaron could be part of the problem. This whole sh*t storm is the result of a total system failure.

Injuries all the way around. A defective offensive line. Rodgers having a "down" year....young receivers who aren't being coached up OR don't get the concept of what a fire drill entails. Don't cut off the route and stop, ya dipsh*t, come back to the ball when Aaron is out of the pocket.

Stupid mistakes. Lack of mental toughness and discipline. Our kicker develops a chronic case of noodle leg. Our right tackle is hurt and his back up stands there handing out postcards as defenders run by him.

You all know what the Midas Touch is. This season is textbook Midas Touch in Reverse. Every piece of gold touched turns to s**t.

Predictable play calling? So what? Execute it like men. Win the one-on-one with your guy. Everything else is B.S. excuse making.

Lack of talent? Sure...maybe. It's what happens when you draft way down the friggen line year in and year out for the last 26 years.

The Pack deal with an Aaron Rodgers contract versus rookie QB contract. Prime example, Seahawks kick a** while Russell is on Rookie contract. He gets his and just try to spread money around.

Ah well ... On to week 13, right?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
K#12 is not the problem....
How in the world is anyone able to spin 1 interception in 11 games in a negative way. Lol

I think we need some better players on both the o and d lines for 2019.... That will fix a lot...jimmy graham was a good move. But we need a move like that to pay off... So far jimmy and Mercedes Havnt been used... Hope that changes.
Any why hasn't jones gotten 20+ touches every game is beyond me. Seems silly not to.

Losing mo was devestating. and then Daniels... Need a top tier otackle in the 1st rd. And dline with saints pick....

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How in the world is anyone able to spin 1 interception in 11 games in a negative way. Lol

The only stat that matters is winning %. I don't care if #12 has 85 touchdowns to 0 interceptions if the team finishes 2-14. I'd much rather see the team go 14-2 with #12 playing like crap.

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It will be an interesting game, I'll go with that. The Philbin calling plays for the first time in an NFL game twist - that one is intriguing.

My understanding of the O.C. position in Green Bay is that it's almost more of a game planning; film watching; look for opponent's tendencies and make recommendations to the Head Coach kind of thing. No offense intended, but it's kind of an Administrative Assistant position. I don't know that for sure. I kind of put 4 and 26 together and came up that theory after Edgar Bennett moved on.

I wonder if Philbin, while assembling game planning recommendations didn't just make recommendations based on what he KNEW McCarthy liked to run? I don't know. Just speculating.

Point is, I'd hate to be Atlanta's D.C. - because there isn't a "book" on Philbin's tendencies -- unless we've already truly witnessed his tendencies in the first 12 games. If that's the case - just shoot me now. Hey, I don't want to be a nattering nabob of negativism here, I'm just saying that I don't recall Philbin's offenses in Miami lighting up so much as a fart much less a stagnant, non-performing entity in Green Bay. I do know that the changes made at the end of last year on Offensive coaching side of the ball certainly hasn't yielded anything positive.

jeg53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy had to go, but Rodgers is part of the problem. They need a strong head coach to make 12 run the offense as intended.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sundays game will explain everything

A little more explanation please. Are you saying that if everyone comes out and plays lights out it is proof that McCarthy was the problem. Or if they lay another egg it means it was not his fault. If Rodgers comes out and starts hitting the open man in the middle is it proof that he wanted McCarthy gone?

I'm not sure Sunday's game will explain much at all no matter how it turns out. I think after a coach firing many players take stock in their own performance and kind of wonder "could I possibly have done more" They may want to show that it wan't their fault so they may play with a little more intensity. The first game after such an emotional event it can be difficult to tell what is the real reason behind the performance. The final 3 games will tell if anything that happens tomorrow really meant anything. If they keep playing like they do tomorrow it may explain a lot.

Not that this has anything to do with anything but as I was typing this the phrase "lets win this one for Mike" popped into my head. I'm not saying anyone has or will make those comments or has those thoughts but it is the sort of thing that could happen. Anyway, I laughed and thought "no, the one to win for Mike was last week"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be an interesting game, I'll go with that. The Philbin calling plays for the first time in an NFL game twist - that one is intriguing.

My understanding of the O.C. position in Green Bay is that it's almost more of a game planning; film watching; look for opponent's tendencies and make recommendations to the Head Coach kind of thing. No offense intended, but it's kind of an Administrative Assistant position. I don't know that for sure. I kind of put 4 and 26 together and came up that theory after Edgar Bennett moved on.

I wonder if Philbin, while assembling game planning recommendations didn't just make recommendations based on what he KNEW McCarthy liked to run? I don't know. Just speculating.

Point is, I'd hate to be Atlanta's D.C. - because there isn't a "book" on Philbin's tendencies -- unless we've already truly witnessed his tendencies in the first 12 games. If that's the case - just shoot me now. Hey, I don't want to be a nattering nabob of negativism here, I'm just saying that I don't recall Philbin's offenses in Miami lighting up so much as a fart much less a stagnant, non-performing entity in Green Bay. I do know that the changes made at the end of last year on Offensive coaching side of the ball certainly hasn't yielded anything positive.

I think I read that the offensive rankings in Miami did rise over Philbin's tenure there but I think he had a lot of the same tendencies that people were complaining about McCarthy. Poor clock management. Predictable and uninspired play calling among them.

I agree with you one the role of the Packers OC.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
People that are expecting a new HC and coaching staff, along with a 100% healthy and refocused #12 to magically turn the Packers into instant Super Bowl contenders in 2019, are probably going to be sadly disappointed. Both the 2017 and 2018 season have proven to me that TT's failed drafts, along with a few bad personnel decisions in the last several years, has left this team too thin in talent and depth, as well as having to rely fully on #12 playing at a very peak level every game. The optimistic side of me likes what Gute has done so far and thinks the rebuilding started last January and will have to continue with a new coaching staff, some solid Free Agent signings, as well as hitting a few home runs in the drafts. If Gute succeeds with that, I think this team can get back on track, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

Last edited:

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On his day, he's a world beater and best there is...but those days seem far off and long in-between.

Even if TyM had the return in hand, I'm undecided if we could have won. Our offense sucks for reasons more than MM and I think it can't be disputed anymore.

He still is pure best option, but after new contract.... somebody should read his m the book. Winston Moss may be not far wrong, imo.
All in 1 It sounds like you are saying aaron is afraid to throw the timed throws?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think we need some better players on both the o and d lines for 2019.... That will fix a lot...jimmy graham was a good move. But we need a move like that to pay off... So far jimmy and Mercedes Havnt been used... Hope that changes.
Any why hasn't jones gotten 20+ touches every game is beyond me. Seems silly not to.

Losing mo was devestating. and then Daniels... Need a top tier otackle in the 1st rd. And dline with saints pick....

Certainly AR is not THE problem, but anyone who doesn't consider him, this year, to be A problem is an ostrich.

The spin on low interceptions being negative is that AR won't throw unless he's sure nobody but a Packer can haul it in and therefore leaves numerous potential receptions in the barn.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly AR is not THE problem, but anyone who doesn't consider him, this year, to be A problem is an ostrich.

The spin on low interceptions being negative is that AR won't throw unless he's sure nobody but a Packer can haul it in and therefore leaves numerous potential receptions in the barn.
I'm not going back to check the tape but I recall Arizona defenders dropping 2 "right in their hands" interceptions last week. AR taking more risks?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree half empty. The other thing is sometimes the receivers don't get the yac because he throws it so low. I love the fact he does not throw ints. But sometimes he seems to think too much about it. I think jmo that he needs one more calculation in his head b4 throwing the ball. And that would be the int vs. the yac and/or the catch. I am pretty sure that this is just a bad year for him but he should consider these things.

fix8ed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In response to this title, I figure there are quite a few teams who would beg for that problem.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure there are, and just like the discussions about Packer fans being spoiled, it's all about expectations. Those other teams haven't had the pre-2018 Rodgers. We have, and current version is a disappointment.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is most certainly a big part of the problem. Anyone who does not realize this is simply delusional

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
Our defense comes up with a huge stop. On the previous drive quick passes and a throw down the middle was huge . On this drive he misses 2 wide open deep balls and takes a sack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts