Thaddeus Moss cut should he be a target for GB?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He pretty much did nada in College. I personally don't think he'll make it in the NFL

47 receptions for 570 yards and 4 TDs is nothing? Pretty sure any NFL HC would take that production if it translated to this level.

I also think that because his last name is what it is people expect so much out of him. Hell we drafted Jon Runyan Jr, the son of another HOF, you don't think he's had to deal with lofty expectations too?

My only concern with Moss is injury history. He injured his foot in college and missed a whole season in 2018. Then when he finally got on the field for LSU, he looked great. Then in then Pre-Draft process I believe he injured that same foot and then with no measurables and only 1 year of tape he went undrafted.

He did get offers from Cincinnati(Burrow influence?) and he got an offer from New England, so if Belichick turns him into the next Aaron Hernandez let's remember this moment where we all thought he was trash. Personally I think he can play, he may not live up to the hype of his dad but I think he can play at the NFL level.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I strongly don't view him as trash...but I also don't have a TE on our roster that I feel Moss provides an instant upgrade over or projects well in our system.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if there are 23 TE’s that are available as free agents that the scouts think are better than Moss? You gonna bring him in ahead of the 23 just because his old man is Randy Moss?

What you're REALLY asking me is do I take a flyer on a 6'3 250 pound tight end with an NFL pedigree. Yes I do, would I prefer him to be 6'5 YES...but if he has his Dad's Ferari gear he doesn't need to be 6'5

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, as much as I'd like him to be on the team I just can't see him being added to the team with the position group being as it is. However, I wouldn't mind if he ended up on the practice squad at all. Sternberger or Tonyan go down to injury and that TE group looks very different.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's better.

Nobody knows what we have with our TE group until we see the result on the field. Tonyan is an intriguing guy... Played QB, WR and now TE. On the field, he was probably our most athletic TE last year. He wasn't going to get playing time with Graham in the fold. This is his make or break year. The fact we've kept him around from year to year tells us something, probably the team has liked his progress IMO. I don't know that it's a lack of talent at the position, but certainly, a lack of experience would be a more appropriate criticism until we see how these young guys perform.
i like it that he used to play QB. Those types seem to have a better overall feel for the game and how to get open.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What you're REALLY asking me is do I take a flyer on a 6'3 250 pound tight end with an NFL pedigree. Yes I do, would I prefer him to be 6'5 YES...but if he has his Dad's Ferari gear he doesn't need to be 6'5
I think if he had his dad’s athletic ability, it would have shown up repeatedly already. His dad had better natural physical tools than any WR that’s ever played football, imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nobody knows what we have with our TE group until we see the result on the field. Tonyan is an intriguing guy... Played QB, WR and now TE. On the field, he was probably our most athletic TE last year. He wasn't going to get playing time with Graham in the fold. This is his make or break year. The fact we've kept him around from year to year tells us something, probably the team has liked his progress IMO. I don't know that it's a lack of talent at the position, but certainly, a lack of experience would be a more appropriate criticism until we see how these young guys perform.

Unfortunately the tight end position is a weakness entering this season and would need improvement by several players to make the talent level adequate. That's unrealistic to expect.

Tonyan would have received playing time ahead of Graham if he would have deserved it. The fact he played several other positions in college means diddly-squad at this point in his career.

47 receptions for 570 yards and 4 TDs is nothing? Pretty sure any NFL HC would take that production if it translated to this level.

Deguara nearly put up the same stats playing for Cincinnati. Those numbers rarely translate to the pro level though.

Yea, as much as I'd like him to be on the team I just can't see him being added to the team with the position group being as it is.

The tight end position is most likely in need of an upgrade but Moss wouldn't provide that though.

i like it that he used to play QB. Those types seem to have a better overall feel for the game and how to get open.

That hasn't helped Tonyan a lot during his first three years in the league.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the tight end position is a weakness entering this season and would need improvement by several players to make the talent level adequate. That's unrealistic to expect.

Tonyan would have received playing time ahead of Graham if he would have deserved it. The fact he played several other positions in college means diddly-squad at this point in his career.

Just because something is a question mark doesn't mean they're a weakness, again we won't know what we have until the proof is on the field. Also, you don't pay a player big money to sit, Graham's contract was the reason he was out there. Further, the team historically has emphasized the importance of acquiring "football players" who have a depth of experience within the game. Playing multiple positions grants Tonyan knowledge within the game that others may not have. Does it give him a massive leg up? We'll see. It certainly doesn't amount to "diddly squat".

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because something is a question mark doesn't mean they're a weakness, again we won't know what we have until the proof is on the field. Also, you don't pay a player big money to sit, Graham's contract was the reason he was out there. Further, the team historically has emphasized the importance of acquiring "football players" who have a depth of experience within the game. Playing multiple positions grants Tonyan knowledge within the game that others may not have. Does it give him a massive leg up? We'll see. It certainly doesn't amount to "diddly squat".
exactly. from all accounts tonyan's the 1 right now but everyone else in the group is having a great camp. the weakness is rodgers not using the middle of the field where TE's make their living. that's got to change and hopefully will. the Packers have 10.3 million in unallocated cap left. they don't need to waste any of that on what if's. save it for the emergency and roll over what's left. they're going to need it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
talent wise, Tonyan has it. I'm convinced of it. He might not have it upstairs yet, he may have last year but was not up to it physically. I think he had a pretty good hip injury but was able to grit it out to be available much of the season because we already had 1 TE on IR and they needed him too. I think that also played a part in why Graham was out there so much in addition to JG being signed and paid and expected to be TE #1.

I think Tonyan could have a really nice year if things are clicking upstairs for him and he stays healthy. and the biggest If I guess, IF there is a season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the weakness is rodgers not using the middle of the field where TE's make their living. that's got to change and hopefully will.
If they get open (which Graham did not do a lot of); Rodgers will throw it there. I am definitely thinking Sternberger but Tonyan should get chances.

D

Deleted member 6794

The tight end position was a weakness last season, with the Packers losing Graham this offseason the addition of Deguara doesn't improve the outlook entering this season.

I would agree that Tonyan having played several positions in college might benefit him at the pro level if he was a rookie. After three years in the league that doesn't mean a whole lot though.

the weakness is rodgers not using the middle of the field where TE's make their living.

Some of your posts are truly insane. The current tight end corps consists of a 36-year old veteran who is mostly known for his blocking at this point in his career and a group that has a combined 14 regular season catches. Yet it would be Rodgers fault if they don't excel this season.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The tight end position was a weakness last season, with the Packers losing Graham this offseason the addition of Deguara doesn't improve the outlook entering this season.

I would agree that Tonyan having played several positions in college might benefit him at the pro level if he was a rookie. After three years in the league that doesn't mean a whole lot though.

Some of your posts are truly insane. The current tight end corps consists of a 36-year old veteran who is mostly known for his blocking at this point in his career and a group that has a combined 14 regular season catches. Yet it would be Rodgers fault if they don't excel this season.

Most TE's take several years to develop into a productive player. That's a well-known trend. The fact Tonyan hasn't contributed much aside from splash plays until now doesn't mean he is not talented. Losing Graham is not a big loss at all, he only contributed 400 yards, three touchdowns, and looked slow.

D

Deleted member 6794

Most TE's take several years to develop into a productive player. That's a well-known trend. The fact Tonyan hasn't contributed much aside from splash plays until now doesn't mean he is not talented. Losing Graham is not a big loss at all, he only contributed 400 yards, three touchdowns, and looked slow.

I'm well aware that it takes most tight ends several years to contribute at the pro level. Yet most Packers fans seem to ignore that with Sternberger and Deguara.

It's possible Tonyan develops into a decent receiver but I'm not holding my breath with him already entering his fourth season in the league.

While Graham definitely didn't perform up to expectation he had significantly more receiving yards in 2019 than the players currently on the depth aside of Lewis have combined in their careers.

Members online

Latest posts