TEs at the Combine

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Normally I don't put too much stock into a prospect's performance at the Combine but I was disappointed in Maxx Williams who clocked in 4.78 in the 40 yard dash.

MyCole Pruitt, who is projected to be a late round pick, had a 38" vertical (best among TEs) and a 4.58 40 (2nd best).

Maybe a late round sleeper.

H

HardRightEdge

We can add TEs who can block to the list of casualties produced by the college spread offenses.

H

HardRightEdge

Normally I don't put too much stock into a prospect's performance at the Combine but I was disappointed in Maxx Williams who clocked in 4.78 in the 40 yard dash.

MyCole Pruitt, who is projected to be a late round pick, had a 38" vertical (best among TEs) and a 4.58 40 (2nd best).

Also, Williams did 17 lifts. For comparison, Cobb did 16 at his combine and has bulked up since then.

The rap on Williams is his soft body/bad blocking. The lifts bear that out. He's a slot TE, a weight room project and his dance card should be loaded up with blocking technique drills. This much of a project should not go in the first 2 rounds.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ya, but notice what the scouts are saying. He was great in the cone drill and made catching balls look ridiculously easy. Jesse James didn't look bad either. I was worried about his smaller hands, but they say he looked great too.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only number I care about of Maxx's from the combine is the size of his hands. They are huge. The guy flat out makes plays on the football field. He is tall and can go up and get the ball in the back of the endzone and he also has great body awareness on the sidelines. You can teach blocking. If he can become Greg Olsen I would be quite happy.

Cwoodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't draft Maxx Williams before the third round after his combine performance.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were a GM I would pay attention to the medical, mental aptitude and individual interview portions of the combine. I wouldn't even look at the other stuff. All that stuff does is cloud the perception of what you saw ON THE FIELD, during the season, 11 on 11 and when winning a game mattered.

Maxx was a stud on the field in college in a major conference. I would use those 3 categories I mentioned above to give me a reason not to draft him.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If I were a GM I would pay attention to the medical, mental aptitude and individual interview portions of the combine. I wouldn't even look at the other stuff. All that stuff does is cloud the perception of what you saw ON THE FIELD, during the season, 11 on 11 and when winning a game mattered.

Maxx was a stud on the field in college in a major conference. I would use those 3 categories I mentioned above to give me a reason not to draft him.

Mostly agree with your post, nevertheless I expected Williams to be faster in the 40-yard dash.

Members online

Latest posts