Ted stays calm amid swirl of rumors by PG's M Vandermause

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Vandermause column: Thompson stays calm amid swirl of rumors

By Mike Vandermause

PHOENIX — Ted Thompson insists the Randy Moss trade rumors that have been swirling over his head for much of the offseason haven't been a distraction.

"It hasn't been, no," the Packers' general manager said Tuesday morning outside the Arizona Biltmore, site of the NFL owners meetings.

Then he added with a laugh: "It might become (a distraction)."

The trade of the controversial Oakland Raiders wide receiver to the Packers has been one of the most rumored transactions heard on the NFL grapevine over the past two months.

Fans have engaged in spirited debate, and Internet rumor mills have all but declared a Moss trade a done deal.

Somehow, Thompson has been able to rise above it all. He has been consistent in his refusal to comment about Moss. It's not good form to talk about an employee of another team, so Thompson has an easy out.

Thompson acknowledged he has engaged in numerous trade discussions during the offseason, but that's part of his routine. He estimated he might talk to between six and eight teams a week.

"Sometimes those talks heat up, and then you realize it's not going anywhere and it fizzles away," he said.

Thompson said this week's gathering of NFL owners, general managers and coaches in Arizona provided an opportunity to talk about trades.

"Yeah, whether it's me or somebody from another team, what we refer to as fishing expeditions, saying 'what about this, what about this', you get that kind of chat all the time," Thompson said.

While he won't admit it, there is no doubt Thompson has discussed a Moss trade. The Packers are in desperate need of offensive playmakers, and Thompson would be foolish not to explore all his options.

Why would he stop at receiver? The Packers could use a proven running back, and San Diego backup Michael Turner's name has surfaced as a possible trade candidate.

Consummating a deal for Moss, Turner or some other player would be dependent on negotiating the right price. In the case of Moss, it is believed the Packers are waiting for that to come down.

For their part, the Raiders are doing everything possible to bolster Moss' value. Oakland officials have been talking this week about wanting Moss in their lineup this season.

It doesn't take a genius to see they are blowing smoke. If the Raiders admitted they wanted to unload Moss, his value would plummet.

Why would the Raiders want to keep a 30-year-old receiver who is coming off a pair of subpar seasons and is scheduled to be paid $9.75 million in base salary in 2007?

The Packers must ask themselves the same question, although they would negotiate a lower salary as a condition of Moss coming to Green Bay.

A change of scenery, and being teamed with Brett Favre, could be enough to turn around Moss' sagging fortunes. Perhaps there's enough lightning left in Moss' legs to transform the Packers' offense.

Those are the expectations Thompson has managed to ignore. He has his mentor, former Packers GM Ron Wolf, to thank for the ability to tune out public sentiment.

"I've used poor Ron a lot, but I'll use him again, in that he told me never to get whacked out about that," Thompson said. "I can't react and do things for the sake of the populace. It has to be a thought-out decision that makes sense for the Packers."

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlike most times, this comes straight from the horse's, er, mouth.

Ted is talking truth, however, about discussions among GM's happening all the time.

That is why when you go on PackerChatters, etc. and all the 'insiders' give you dish, it's chatter than routinely occurs between clubs. They know someone who works in some department inside who heard something, etc.

When the chatter is consistent and persistent there's more there than smoke.

Bottom line is always the bottom line for Ted. A rookie running back is cheaper than a veteran. A rookie receiver is cheaper than a veteran, etc.
I hope Brett Favre likes playing with rookies around him.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
charles woodson, aaron kampman, and ryan picket are not rookies and werent paid like rookies.

and im pretty sure brett favre liked having Greg Jennings around him last year. just a hunch though

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Ted stays calm amid swirl of rumors by PG's M Vandermau

charles woodson, aaron kampman, and ryan picket are not rookies and werent paid like rookies.

and im pretty sure brett favre liked having Greg Jennings around him last year. just a hunch though

Forgot Driver, Al Harris and Bubba..At the time Bubba got his deal he was considered to be a vital part of the team..

Ted will pay the ones the coaches and he feels will help the team.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It just never seems to end with some around here.

First it was TT was going to get rid of all of MS's players and keep his own. That was dispelled by the resiging of many of those players.

Then he was "cheap" and yet he spent ALL the money he had even though some said he did not which turned out to be total crap.

He "hates" FA yet those he's familiar with, OURS, who are free to sign with whom ever they chose, is very successful resigning. When he DOES go out there (Woodson) people rip him for being an idiot and the guy goes out and has his best year yet.

What the guy HAS DONE which nobody here can criticize is bring talented youth onto the team we were desperately missing and maintained the core of valuable players like, Kampman, Harris, Driver, Jenkins, Wells, allowing them to be together for several years to come.

All at a DECENT PRICE allowing cap flexibility in the future.

And there are those here not liking "the direction" were going and see "many holes" to fill.

Geez, I remember a couple of years ago when we had NO young guys, several ISSUES with players out of contract, a roster with at least 5 or 6 starters who had no buisness starting, not a single BACKUP worth putting in the game, and, NO MONEY.

But because he hasn't signed Moss or Jones or Billy Bob, or Jimmy the guy is an idiot.

You look at the starting lineup and who backed them up before he got here and who is starting and backing up now, position by position, and tell me the guy doesn't know what he is doing.

Many here just BUSTED HIS *** for "letting" Wahle, Rivera, and then Flanny go and yet which offensive line would you rather see out there for the next several years? That one or the one we have now?

For some reason I think this guys plan is a lot more solid than many here want to give him credit for and kudos to him for not going "all in" because of pressure to win "now" even if it means ******** us for several years down the road.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
War I think you nailed it on the head..

He let Wahle, and Marco go..

That is what really turned people agaisnt him..Some still bring it up to this day that he let Wahle walk..

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
meanwhile Wahle had a very below average season this year in Carolina.

looks like he made the right move at the right time.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

...and Rivera has had so many injury problems in the past two years at Dallas that his career may now be over.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Ted stays calm amid swirl of rumors by PG's M Vandermau

Greg C. said:

...and Rivera has had so many injury problems in the past two years at Dallas that his career may now be over.

The 1st year he had that back surgery, maybe the Pack knew something was going on with it and thats a reason why they didnt stick with him??

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is what really turned people agaisnt him..Some still bring it up to this day that he let Wahle walk..

TT didn't CREATE that situation. It was all there when he got here.

There's no way he could have kept both. Marco was a handshake out the door.

The dirty truth is we had guys that wanted more money and we had all of $1.9 mil to work with.

It get's tiresome to hear EVERY move TT makes getting slammed.

We could be sitting here with a tired, beat up "0" line, Diggs, Lenon, Carroll, etc, "holding down" starting spots and getting our *** kicked because hearing from some here all TT did to correct this was stupid on his part

Because,of course, everything he does is stupid.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

TT didn't CREATE that situation. It was all there when he got here.

There's no way he could have kept both. Marco was a handshake out the door.

The dirty truth is we had guys that wanted more money and we had all of $1.9 mil to work with.

It get's tiresome to hear EVERY move TT makes getting slammed.

We could be sitting here with a tired, beat up "0" line, Diggs, Lenon, Carroll, etc, "holding down" starting spots and getting our *** kicked because hearing from some here all TT did to correct this was stupid on his part

Because,of course, everything he does is stupid.

I can't believe the usual suspects let you get away this post!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

It just never seems to end with some around here.

First it was TT was going to get rid of all of MS's players and keep his own. That was dispelled by the resiging of many of those players.

Then he was "cheap" and yet he spent ALL the money he had even though some said he did not which turned out to be total crap.

He "hates" FA yet those he's familiar with, OURS, who are free to sign with whom ever they chose, is very successful resigning. When he DOES go out there (Woodson) people rip him for being an idiot and the guy goes out and has his best year yet.

What the guy HAS DONE which nobody here can criticize is bring talented youth onto the team we were desperately missing and maintained the core of valuable players like, Kampman, Harris, Driver, Jenkins, Wells, allowing them to be together for several years to come.

And there are those here not liking "the direction" were going and see "many holes" to fill.

Geez, I remember a couple of years ago when we had NO young guys, several ISSUES with players out of contract, a roster with at least 5 or 6 starters who had no buisness starting, not a single BACKUP worth putting in the game, and, NO MONEY.

But because he hasn't signed Moss or Jones or Billy Bob, or Jimmy the guy is an idiot.

You look at the starting lineup and who backed them up before he got here and who is starting and backing up now, position by position, and tell me the guy doesn't know what he is doing.

Many here just BUSTED HIS *** for "letting" Wahle, Rivera, and then Flanny go and yet which offensive line would you rather see out there for the next several years? That one or the one we have now?

For some reason I think this guys plan is a lot more solid than many here want to give him credit for and kudos to him for not going "all in" because of pressure to win "now" even if it means ******** us for several years down the road.
Dang.....don't you HATE it when these darn FACTS are shown and it ruins EVERYTHING???
(just being sarcastic Hawk! I agree with ya!!!)

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we can make a judgment on TT either way yet. He gets a mulligan for the first two years because he had a lot of depth issues with the roster.

While I am glad that TT has passed on spending funny money on some players, I feel there are still players that have signed reasonable contracts that could have helped our team. For whatever reason, TT has lost out on a lot of FAs that visited this year, and that has concerned me. I understand his approach is to build through the draft, but FA can be an equally effective tool when approached correctly.

I know that a lot of you are enamored with the state of the Packers, but you have to consider the possibility that we will take a step back next year. Our 8-8 record was inflated by playing a lot of bad teams. Also, we lost our leading rusher and have yet to replace him.

I will reserve judgment on TT until after this season. If he has not put together a playoff roster, or at least won 8 games like last year, someone needs to be held accountable.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we can make a judgment on TT either way yet. He gets a mulligan for the first two years because he had a lot of depth issues with the roster.

While I am glad that TT has passed on spending funny money on some players, I feel there are still players that have signed reasonable contracts that could have helped our team. For whatever reason, TT has lost out on a lot of FAs that visited this year, and that has concerned me. I understand his approach is to build through the draft, but FA can be an equally effective tool when approached correctly.

I know that a lot of you are enamored with the state of the Packers, but you have to consider the possibility that we will take a step back next year. Our 8-8 record was inflated by playing a lot of bad teams. Also, we lost our leading rusher and have yet to replace him.

I will reserve judgment on TT until after this season. If he has not put together a playoff roster, or at least won 8 games like last year, someone needs to be held accountable.
Hoos......a very good way of looking at it. Thats pretty much what i am doing. I really don't think anyone could have done much more then he has done so far, with what he had to work with. I think this season will show if he is taking the team in the right direction or not.
It's like it's 5 minutes into the first quarter, it's a tie score, and some are screaming that the sky is falling.
I will wait to pass judgement when this upcoming season is done. Then there should be enough evidence in to show if TT's approach is wrong, or right on the money.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as far as TT not getting FA to sign is it possible that he confers with the coaching staff and it is determined that the player might not fit what MM wants

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I remember that year. We we went 10-6, won the division and played in the post season. As Cheesey said

Dang.....don't you HATE it when these darn FACTS are shown and it ruins EVERYTHING???

Young Players+Lots of Money unspent = 8-8/4-12

Veterans+paying to upgrade= 10-6

Quite simple

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if we had kept those veterans and payed to upgrade some, we might have been in the playoffs the last two seasons?

Wait a minute, we wouldn't have cap space, we would have a lot of old players tired out and with injuries (like the players we let go) and backups that aren't fit to be anything more than 3rd stringers at best.

That Packers team was going down no matter what, we would have been worse than Oakland and Houston the last two years if we'd continued down the same road.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather have this young, up and coming team with key veterans, young depth and with cap space to sign key players when they are available.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if we had kept those veterans and payed to upgrade some, we might have been in the playoffs the last two seasons?

Wait a minute, we wouldn't have cap space, we would have a lot of old players tired out and with injuries (like the players we let go) and backups that aren't fit to be anything more than 3rd stringers at best.

That Packers team was going down no matter what, we would have been worse than Oakland and Houston the last two years if we'd continued down the same road.

I'm confused, are we using facts or speculating?

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you are speculating when you're implying we would have been much better off with the old worn out veterans.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you are speculating when you're implying we would have been much better off with the old worn out veterans.

No, the facts are with that "other leadership" we were in the playoffs and won divisions

With our current leadership we are 4-12 and 8-8.

Care to argue that with facts?

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we had kept that "leadership" you're talking about, using the facts, using the performance those players have put out on the teams they joined, we'd been in a very dire situation.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we had kept that "leadership" you're talking about, using the facts, using the performance those players have put out on the teams they joined, we'd been in a very dire situation.

Lol, what are you talking about? How do you equate that logic?

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And those same teams with the great leadership, got us what? Blown out at home to the Falcons and the Vikings in the playoffs......Maybe we can bring back the great Grady Jackson, he seems to be showing great leadership in Atlanta.....I don't understand the people who still put sherman on a pedestal, I hate the fact you made me have to mention his name....Believe me, if it wasn't for Sterling the first couple of years for Wolf and Holmgren, 8-8 would have been a miracle, but hey they sucked too.....

Members online

Latest posts