1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Team Ownership By The Fans

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Rascus, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Rascus

Rascus Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain how the ownership of the Packers team works? Hear so much about it and just really wondering how the whole concept comes together and what are the pros and cons of it? Think its feasible for other NFL teams to adopt the same kind of approach? Anyway hoping I can get some insight into the whole concept....and thanks much.

2. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ya I was wondering the same thing

3. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, having heard the spiel on the Lambeau tour twice now I'll tell what I know. The Green Bay Packers are a private corporation. The shareholders are (and can only be) Brown county residents. Shares may not be sold although I do believe they can be tranferred upon death.

Once a year they all get together at Lambeau and decide on the day-to-day activities of MM and TT for the following year

(that last part is made up although they do have an annual stockholders meeting).

4. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The shareholders can be from outside Brown County. If the team is ever sold, everyone receives their original investment (i.e. original share price paid) and the left over $, which would be substantial, goes to Brown County to build a Veterans' Memorial. Shares are not freely assignable (can only be sold back to the corporation), do not increase in value and receive no dividends or other distributions.

5. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope the team never leaves GB

6. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There's no such thing as a guarantee in this day and age, but the way it's set up is pretty damn close to assurance the Pack will never leave GB.

7. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ya the houston oilers broke my heart a long time ago when they left houston( which is the day I became a packer backer), the thought of the state of wisconsin losing a team that means everything would be even worse!

8. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I remember the old Houston Oilers theme song.

"We're the Houston Oilers!
    The Houston Oilers!"

I lived in Houston when the Oilers were in town. Also, remember watching Earl Campbell. Only RB I've ever seen who would actually go out of their way to run someone over. Now makes pretty good sausages.

9. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ya man I don't go back to the earl cambell days, but I know he could run that football! and hell ya I have that houston oilers theme song on my ipod lol. Although I am sad they left it did allow me to become a packer backer which ended up being so awesome!

10. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Oilers were still the Oilers for a while in Tennessee right? They weren't the Titans until a year or so after?

11. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to be a Brown County resident, many thousands of shares are held by residents of Michigans Upper Peninsula.

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    from packers.com

13. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ya they were the oilers for a little bit in tennessee, they played their home games in memphis at the liberty bowl while the new stadium in Nashville was being built