Tactical Error on OL Management?

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oline is my biggest concern....
If you don't have a solid Oline or you get bit by the injury bug you end up losing to teams like TAMPA.
Barbre and Giacomini are clearly stuggling and if the fans can see it.... That means TT can see it!
Who knows what he'll do though... If he has to trade them or cut them to find an upgrade... so be it.
If he has to trade spitzy owell.... I just hope we can get someone that can block Jpep, JAllen, and Suh 6 times a year!!!

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which brings me to the issue ... would it have been better to have have Bulaga compete for the starting RT job than the starting LG job?? I believe it would better both short term and long term to have Bulaga starting at RT than at LG.

IMHO it would have been better for the long term but NOT the short term. Here is why. I believe Tauscher IS better at RT than Colledge is at LG. College, IMO, was a major weak point in the OLine last season. Colledge gained a reputation for consistently having one-on-one breakdowns every game in pass protection. Tauscher, while albeit playing in the twilight of his career, is consistent while he is healthy. Tauscher proved his worth last year when sack totals all but disappeared when he rejoined the lineup. Considering Bulaga has played some experience at LG while in Iowa, I don't think having him compete at LG is going to be a major setback in his NFL development.

A lot of national publications like to hate the pack for giving multi year extensions to Clifton and Tausch... .I know that attempting to solve major OLine probs by clinging to veterans LOOKS desperate to outsiders. But in reality, Clif and Tausch are proven vets that are going to shore up a lot of problems right now while TT plans for the future.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the Packers are a passing team. They will go with what improves their passing game, be it a pass blocking OL or a catching TE, and rightfully so.

Tauscher is miles away the best pass blocking RT. Whereas Bulaga just might be as good as Colledge at LG already.

You're absolutely right about Statue, though. Awful. And Barbre too.

But there's still T.J. Lang. He's been hurt, but as of last year, he showed promise.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
love lang, love bulaga, love spitz, love tausch & chad, hate barbre, hate colledge, how breno still in the mix?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the coaching staff can't figure out who to play, or where to play them the offensive line will continue to be a weakness. It's the biggest shortcoming of McCarthy and his offensive line coaches imo.

Tauscher and Clifton are clearly the best tackles we've got. We know College and Barbre can't play tackle, and Guacamole doesn't seem to get any better. So that leaves Bulaga, Lang, Campbell, or Newhouse to fill in if needed. It wouldn't hurt to get a veteran before the season starts, imo.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO it would have been better for the long term but NOT the short term. Here is why. I believe Tauscher IS better at RT than Colledge is at LG.
That's exactly what I wanted to say. And I like Colledge a lot more than most do, but when Tausch is in at RT, our protection is decent to good. And with him there last half of last year, and all of 2008, 2007, well Ryan Grant had great stats. So what can you say? It's not a total coincidence.

We should have our normal starting 5 right now, plus:
Bulaga, first guy off the bench at LT.
TJ Lang, first guy off the bench at RT.
Spitz, first guy off the bench at OG and C.

That's 8 solid OL, and most teams need that many backups in a year.

Anything after those 8, then I worry. Maybe EDS at center is okay, not sure.
Maybe Marshall Newhouse is okay, not sure.

For sure we're dead if Breno or Barbie have to play.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember calling into SIRIUS NFL Radio on the sirius blitz, spoke to Adam Shine right after the Bear's game week 1...first thing I said was, "finally we won a game in the 4th QTR!" 2nd thing I said was, "Barbre is going to ruin our whole season" his response was, MM had stated it's a technique thing that can be corrected....obviously not...isn't it scary when a HC and GM totally whif on the OLINE situation last year, and don't panic til halfway through the season...my point is I hope they have learned from their mistakes and point out weaknesses early on, when it's so obvious that even fans can see who shouldn't be starting....ie BUSH

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the O-line as it currently stands, and think it will only improve with time. They're playing well; no sense in upsetting the apple cart at this time. It took a long time to find consistency- I'm not willing to give it up.

With our offense, we need our best player at LT, second best at RT, guards and center accordingly. Bulaga will end up being our starting LT, but not while Cliffy is playing this well. Bulaga's bound to have a few "rookie mistakes" and I'd rather have those on Aaron's right than on his left. The only way Bulaga doesn't become our starting LT in the next year or 2 is if we draft a guy that's even better than Bulaga, and Bulaga stays at RT, with the new guy taking over at LT. The thought of Bulaga being our second best o-lineman makes me down-right giddy, as the guy that unseated him would have to not just be a beast, he'd have to be an eater of beasts.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, the entire offensive line outside of Bulaga and Sitton are replacable. Clifton is playing great but this may be his last season. College, Wells and Spitz are all nothing special. I really hope TJ Lang is using this season to learn.

OP
OP
aaronqb

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, the entire offensive line outside of Bulaga and Sitton are replaceable. Clifton is playing great but this may be his last season. College, Wells and Spitz are all nothing special. I really hope TJ Lang is using this season to learn.

no doubt

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should clarify on my earlier post. I definitely think we could stand to upgrade the O-line outside of Bulaga, Sitton, and probably Lang; but I don't wanna start messin' with it right now. This combination of guys is plenty serviceable, and I don't wanna take a chance on losing that.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should clarify on my earlier post. I definitely think we could stand to upgrade the O-line outside of Bulaga, Sitton, and probably Lang; but I don't wanna start messin' with it right now. This combination of guys is plenty serviceable, and I don't wanna take a chance on losing that.

I agree with you. You can't play mix-n-match with the offensive line in Week 10/11.