Taco Charlton

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of mock drafts that have him falling to the Packers. I just watched his entire highlight reel and he's definitely a football player. At 6'6 273 pounds he's got some nice feet and agility and uses his hands to keep blockers from engaging very well. I also saw him just bullbrush a couple tackles flat on there butts so he's obviously pretty strong.

I wouldn't be upset if TT took him...but I would be upset if they tried to turn him into a dang Olb which is something I can see them trying to do. Imo he's a 4-3 guy....but so was Perry, and Jones. Id still like a corner in the 1st, but I guess them adding House kinda confirms that it's going to be another position other than corner...at least in the first round.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with 3-4 defenses in the NFL is that there aren't enough top players coming out of college that have played it. Every time another NFL team switches to the 3-4, it stretches out the talent pool even thinner. Since "unfortunately" we are never bad enough to warrant a pick in the top half of the first round, we end up looking for players with the athletic ability to convert.

I'm not speaking directly about Taco but the conversion issue in general.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I haven't looked much at Charlton, but the moment you said "4-3 guy" the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I thought of Harrell and Jones. If the Packers are going to continue to play a 3-4 under Capers, which it appears they are, I really have had enough of these guys that are more suited to play in a 4-3 and we spend a high pick on.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think he will be there when Packers draft so not gonna get to excited. He would make an immediate impact.

He isn't "soft" like Datone Jones so I don't like the comparison.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The problem with 3-4 defenses in the NFL is that there aren't enough top players coming out of college that have played it. Every time another NFL team switches to the 3-4, it stretches out the talent pool even thinner. Since "unfortunately" we are never bad enough to warrant a pick in the top half of the first round, we end up looking for players with the athletic ability to convert.

I'm not speaking directly about Taco but the conversion issue in general.

I obviously was thinking the same thing and if the Packers can't find a true 3-4 guy in the draft, than I would prefer they find a proven one via the Free Agent market.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I obviously was thinking the same thing and if the Packers can't find a true 3-4 guy in the draft, than I would prefer they find a proven one via the Free Agent market.
I think that's the real conundrum for TT's draft and develop philosophy. He's generally adverse to spending money in FA and would rather draft guys, but there really aren't enough quality guys to draft. He tries to break the stalemate through converting players but that's been a mixed bag. He obviously hasn't felt the need yet to acquire those players in FA. Of course we can all debate those merits - and definitely have done so!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think that's the real conundrum for TT's draft and develop philosophy. He's generally adverse to spending money in FA and would rather draft guys, but there really aren't enough quality guys to draft. He tries to break the stalemate through converting players but that's been a mixed bag. He obviously hasn't felt the need yet to acquire those players in FA. Of course we can all debate those merits - and definitely have done so!

Agreed. Fitting a round peg into a square hole makes you look like a genius if it works, but how many draft picks are you willing to toss in order to prove you know how to do that?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

I see a lot of mock drafts that have him falling to the Packers. I just watched his entire highlight reel and he's definitely a football player. At 6'6 273 pounds he's got some nice feet and agility and uses his hands to keep blockers from engaging very well. I also saw him just bullbrush a couple tackles flat on there butts so he's obviously pretty strong.

I wouldn't be upset if TT took him...but I would be upset if they tried to turn him into a dang Olb which is something I can see them trying to do. Imo he's a 4-3 guy....but so was Perry, and Jones. Id still like a corner in the 1st, but I guess them adding House kinda confirms that it's going to be another position other than corner...at least in the first round.

Charlton would for sure line up at outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He has enough athleticism to play the position at the pro level.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charlton would for sure line up at outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He has enough athleticism to play the position at the pro level.

Lol I'm not saying he's not athletic enough.. but I heard people say the same thing about Jones and Perry as well. . Jones was a part time player who did nothing in the 3-4 and Perry can't cover in space as an olb..and he's more athletic imo than Taco. Do we really need another Perry? I'd much rather see him stay on the d-line and play there as a Rush end where he's more comfortable. No more projects in Green Bay. It hasn't worked.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol I'm not saying he's not athletic enough.. but I heard people say the same thing about Jones and Perry as well. . Jones was a part time player who did nothing in the 3-4 and Perry can't cover in space as an olb..and he's more athletic imo than Taco. Do we really need another Perry? I'd much rather see him stay on the d-line and play there as a Rush end where he's more comfortable. No more projects in Green Bay. It hasn't worked.

Charlton, at 6-6 and 277, isn't big enough to play on the defensive line in a 3-4 though.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think the first round has got to be a CB. Though I think every taco needs a little cheese, I do like the kid, but if we don't draft a starting caliber CB it's going to make for another lost NFC championship. The defensive front has some play making ability. Without Hyde and with House an unknown, we need help at the position so our best CB's on the football field are not starting in a safety position.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Taco can play Defensive End (I think they had him at Tackle in college) his motor will definitely help the D-Line play. He's a lighter Mike Daniels to me, and we need that!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I thought he would.make a great Packer, but after hearing questions about his lack of consistent motivation, I doubt we are interested.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Taco can play Defensive End (I think they had him at Tackle in college) his motor will definitely help the D-Line play. He's a lighter Mike Daniels to me, and we need that!

Charlton is for sure best suited to line up at outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charlton is for sure best suited to line up at outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.
His underwhelming combine performance surprised me, but the tape shows an NFL edge rusher. He looks more than agile enough to handle any OLB duties. Should GB be fortunate enough, they should definitely take him.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charlton, at 6-6 and 277, isn't big enough to play on the defensive line in a 3-4 though.

Weight/bulk doesn't always translate to strength or I should say impactful strength. Also, maintaining speed is just as effective at the defensive end position. If he is available, and CBs don't stick out, why not take him?

Members online

Latest posts