Supplemental Draft

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I apologize guys, but I've been reading the supplemental draft topic for a while now, but I realized I really have no clue what it is. Can someone please explain??

Thanks!!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Suplemental Draft

If I wanted to be a smartass, I'd say that the "Suplemental Draft" is another name for a tap beer served to a really flexible person.

But if I wasn't trying to be a smartass, I'd give you the Wikipedia explanation of the Supplemental Draft.

On July 10th, the NFL will hold a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft.

Hope this helps. But I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you as to the Packers participating in the supplemental draft. I don't know of any instance in his entire career where TT gave up any draft picks for anybody unless it was trading down in the regular draft. Not passing judgment on it, just stating it as fact.

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
Suplemental Draft

Ok, interesting. I never knew about this. So, they only way to really get a player to give up a draft pick in the following year's draft??

Also, do many high caliber players come out of it?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I personally can't think of a big time player that has come out of the supplemental draft. I could be wrong.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I personally can't think of a big time player that has come out of the supplemental draft. I could be wrong.

Reggie White I believe (due to the USFL)

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score

PackOne said:

Wow. Well, that's certainly significant. Does anyone know if we are seriously looking at anyone in this years sup. draft? I can't deny hoping so.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackOne said:

Okay I'll give you that one with an asterisk. Anyone else?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cyoung said:
PackOne said:

Okay I'll give you that one with an asterisk. Anyone else?

White was taken by the Eagles in the 1984 supplemental draft of USFL players and then joined the team in Week Four of the 1985 season.

I found that...plus it was in his autobiography.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way back before the turn of the century, Bernie Kosar waited and entered the supplemental draft so The Browns could choose him.
There are others who graduate early but are not eligible for the regular draft.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last year the Bengals took Ahmad Brooks, there's only really Paul Oliver worth taking this year and he aint worth a 3rd rounder