Supplemental Draft is coming up....anyone worth trying to get?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the supplemental draft is coming up in a few weeks, potentially Wednesday, July 10.

The Packers have only gotten one player from the supplemental draft, 1998 OT Mike Wahle.

Would Washington S Jalen Thompson be worth a shot?

He was just declared ineligible for his final year and rumors are its for PEDS. Had he come out early this year, he was talked about as being a 2nd day guy.

He is projected as a FS or slot guy, but not SS. The Packers are in the first tier of teams eligible for players who are declaring. Worth a 4th or 5th rounder?

Also declared eligible for this draft are:
  1. Marcus Simms, WR, West Virginia
  2. Shyheim Cullen, LB, Syracuse
  3. Devonaire Clarington, TE, Northland Community College

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be fine with the Packers spending a fourth round pick on Thompson. Probably won't be good enough to select him though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would be fine with the Packers spending a fourth round pick on Thompson. Probably won't be good enough to select him though.

I don't know a lot about Thompson, but I like what I have read, all but the being suspended for PEDS part. However, I think given the investments they made in Amos and Savage, a 4th round pick might be all they are willing to bid on him with. Will the other teams ahead of them bid higher? Not sure, really don't know other teams needs at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know a lot about Thompson, but I like what I have read, all but the being suspended for PEDS part. However, I think given the investments they made in Amos and Savage, a 4th round pick might be all they are willing to bid on him with.

Thompson was expected to be one of the best safeties in college football this season so it might be smart for the Packers to take a chance on him.

I wouldn't like them to spend more than a fourth rounder on him because of the concerns regarding the PED suspension though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thompson was expected to be one of the best safeties in college football this season so it might be smart for the Packers to take a chance on him.

I wouldn't like them to spend more than a fourth rounder on him because of the concerns regarding the PED suspension though.

I am sure quite a few teams are weighing the "risk-reward" thing and what Thompson is worth. I haven't read exactly what the PED violation was and I am sure that will have a ton of bearing on how much a team is willing to spend. So many of the PED violations seem to be due to something unintentional and not likely to happen again. However, if he was trying to be Tony Mandarich, he would be a hard pass for me.

When I look at what the Packers have netted with a 3rd rounder in the past drafts, if Thompson was healthy and the PED thing is just a "blip", I would be tempted.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of guys make it to the NFL on PED's and never make it in the NFL because they don't get away with it anymore. I'd be very wary. I don't know anything about the kid or how good he is or could be, I just know PED's can make or break a player quite frequently.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh, what the hell... send a 5th for that Thompson kid.
If another team wants to throw a 2nd to 4th in for him, good luck. If I'm Gute I wouldn't let him fall past a 5th, so I agree with G&G81. He's got enough "holes in his game" where he's a project and would be a back of the roster guy in '19 but worth taking a 5th round flyer on.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/packer...t-in-supplemental-draft-s-jalen-thompson/amp/

According to Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst, the Packers have “shown a lot of interest” in Washington State safety Jalen Thompson, who worked out in front of 26 teams – including the Packers – on Monday afternoon in Los Angeles.

Pauline reports the Packers will meet individually with Thompson Monday. At least five other teams are expected to have interest.

The Packers were also on hand to see the pro day workout of West Virginia receiver Marcus Simms, who worked out in Maryland last week. Thompson and Simms are considered to be the two best prospects available in Wednesday’s supplemental draft

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of guys make it to the NFL on PED's and never make it in the NFL because they don't get away with it anymore. I'd be very wary. I don't know anything about the kid or how good he is or could be, I just know PED's can make or break a player quite frequently.

Lol. Guys in the NFL are taking A LOT of stuff, including PED's. Some get caught, some don't.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. Guys in the NFL are taking A LOT of stuff, including PED's. Some get caught, some don't.
I have no illusions that it is a clean league by a long shot. There are a fair number that are not taking PEDs either. an exceptional college player often becomes ordinary in the NFL just because of the level of competition. Toss in a kid that needed them in college to look exceptional, i'd be wary.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have no illusions that it is a clean league by a long shot. There are a fair number that are not taking PEDs either. an exceptional college player often becomes ordinary in the NFL just because of the level of competition. Toss in a kid that needed them in college to look exceptional, i'd be wary.

We call that the "Tony Mandarich effect".

If I am a GM I am steering clear of guys that were caught intentionally taking PED's. However, if someone gets busted due to a banned substance was in something they were prescribed to take by a doctor, trainer, etc. then I am blaming the person putting them on that.

The Packers definitely have interest in Washington State S Jalen Thompson, they flew him in yesterday for an interview and medical review.

Tony Pauline‏ @TonyPauline
Can confirm; the Green Bay Packers flew Jalen Thompson/S to their facility after yesterday's workout for medicals and interviews in preparation for tomorrow's supplemental draft.

12:40 PM - 9 Jul 2019

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...in-supplemental-draft-prospect-jalen-thompson

The Packers also reportedly attended the workout of West Virginia wide receiver Marcus Simms on July 1st.

This could get interesting today! :coffee:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know nothing of the kid and not commenting on him directly.

All I can find is that he took some kind of over the counter supplement that got him suspended. So I am not too worried about his PED violation.

Given the Packers are in the first tier of teams in the Supp Draft, they have a legit shot at a S that was predicted to go day 2 in this years draft if he had declared, the Packers could use another quality S....I'm hoping they take a shot at getting him and a 4th or 5th might be all it takes.

The Supp draft is at Noon (CST), so we will know soon.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be too concerned about that either, if that's what it was. Sounds like they're serious about him

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes on being serious about him and they should be. He is a bit smallish at 5' 10" but everything I read about the guy is positive. Three-year starter at Washington State and had six interceptions over that time. He is hard-hitting safety and a nose for the ball. With Josh Jones having one foot out the door, I really see this as high value. You get a guy that might have gone 2nd or 3rd round this year, for a 2020 4th or 5th pick. How many 4th or 5th rounders pan out anyway?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The #Cardinals have selected Washington State DB Jalen Thompson in Round 5 of the NFL supplemental draft, source said. First one off the board.

CRAP!

4th by the Packers would have gotten him or a better position after the lottery and a 5th.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
WR Marcus Simms didn't get drafted, had a few FA offers and is signing with the Jaguars.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now what? Time for . . . .

Yet again, Gute refuses to make any improvements to this team. Makes you wonder if he even knows about the supplemental draft or understands it. This is the 2nd year he has sat on his hands while another team gets better. He is soooo cheap and always has to be the smartest guy in the room. His ego is sooo big, he refuses to help this team - AND he ran HCD out of town.

Time to fire Gute. I think we should hire Jeff Janis to be the next GM. He knows the game. He is a fan favorite. And more importantly, he did his best work as a player, BEFORE the season started. That there, is a recipe for success for a GM. But most importantly, I have heard of him so therefore, he can probably do any job for the Packers despite any qualifications or history. I'm certain Janis will at least know about the Supplemental draft.

Members online

Latest posts