1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Still figuring out the Peppers at OLB situation

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Eli Haugen, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Like the title says. I'm a little curious where we are going with this Peppers at OLB situation. Im as concerned as when Kampman was opposite Mathews. Concerned but optimistic. Kampman was coming around IMO when he got hurt...Hopefully Peppers can do the same..?
    I got burnt a couple years back on a debate about Aldon Smiths position. He played DE/DT in college, and had his hand in the dirt every time I noticed him... And yet he is an OLB...Since then I've seen him stand and move around. Even drop into coverage a couple times... But all in all, he's moving around looking for weaknesses. And hits the hole with a head of steam. Im sorry, but who is going to stop Peppers coming out of a 3 point stance, when Peppers is 3 steps into a sprint???Can you say 20 sacks a year??? Just like when Reggie white was given the option to move around and pick his spot. Peppers and his experience will be able to disassemble and destroy O-lines...
    greenbay has Mathews opposite him. A talented young and deep secondary. And an overload of quality D-linemen to choose from. Peppers has a supporting cast.
    This is the best sense I can make of the whole situation...Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

2. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    Tune in on Thursday, September 4th to find out...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    In the same string of thoughts. What is Perry going to do? I would put his hand back in the dirt, like he wanted to do. And throw in a few 4-3 sets in the mix... cant tell me Raji, Daniels, with Jones and Perry at DE. Combined with Peppers and Mathews outside them?????? Ummmmmmm holy chizzy.

4. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +290
    The problem is that 4-3 OLBs aren't pass rushers, they're run players and coverage players.

If the plan is for Peppers and Matthews to be responsible for running backs and tight ends 90%-95% of the time you run that grouping, you plan would work. However, you should realize how bad that sounds.

5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,709
    Peppers is an older gentleman. I'd figure him for about 50 - 60% of the snaps, nearly all in nickel, and mostly with his hand in the dirt as an "elephant" edge rusher . Most 3-4's mix in hybrid formations such as this, but this will be a new look for Capers (and perhaps not entirely of his own free will).

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,627
    Take Raji out of this line up and put Hyde or Burnett at MLB and that could be the dime defense.

7. cara murphy

cara murphy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    "I'm looking forward to not only proving to myself that I can do it, but proving it to a lot of people who don't think I can do it." -Peppers. Just waiting for his performance

8. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +453
    Peppers is still an elite talent that will win a lot of one on one matchups. He is going to create problems for opponents as a pass rusher. He wasn't brought in to cover tight ends. It all starts with Raji, if he decides to play hard and fast consistently in his limited snaps, our defense is going to be very effective.

9. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +601
    While Peppers is certainly older and no doubt has lost at the very least a half a step, people seem to forget that he is a freak athlete. The guy could have gone pro in either football or basketball. He simply has natural gifts that a man of his size rarely have. People have brought up the Aaron Kampman comparison and they are just flat out wrong. Kampman was not half the physical talent that Peppers is which I am sure will draw some ire but it is the plain and simple truth

With Peppers it is all going to boil down to how much these physical gifts have dwindled at this point in his career.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I don't know who brought up Kampman as a comparison to Peppers but I agree it's a bad one. As you said, Peppers is a much better athlete and is freakishly athletic for his 6-7, 287 frame. (Kampman was about 6-4, 260.) Another difference between the two is attitude. As I’ve posted before, I was very disappointed in Kampman for his attitude when Capers arrived; IMO he didn’t give his position change his best efforts. OTOH, Peppers is looking forward to playing in Capers’ D. This is from Wilde’s story on Peppers yesterday:
    http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=14731&is_corp=1

jsonline also has a story on Peppers as reporters swarmed his locker after practice yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Green and Gold

Green and Gold Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    "Cautiously Optimistic" is, I think, the best way to describe how most people feel about Peppers. I definitely don't think he's going to be to these Packers what Reggie White was in the past, but good things happen when you put athletes like him in green and gold. I don't think Kamp was excited like Peppers seems to be. Also, Kamp wasn't nearly as athletic as Peppers is.

12. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    I don't want to take the time to look it up, but when Peppers first agreed to join the Packers he stated that his preference had been to go to a 3-4 defense when he left Carolina. So the mind is willing and that's more than half of the equation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    I have heard that Peppers is quoted as saying that Matthews is teaching him things he never knew and will make him a better player.
    I can hardly wait to see these two together on the field.

14. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    He didn't need CM3 to sit him down and teach him anything, hell.... all he had to do is go back and watch packers vs bears game film for the last few seasons and watch CM3 make Jay cuntler his prison b!tch.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  15. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    I hope that you all read this one already, but just in case....

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/07...rag-cigarette-sighs-steps-onto-practice-field

16. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Peppers played over 800 snaps last year, including special team plays. He probably worn down
    Near the end of the season and I would expect his snaps this year to be around 500 - 600.