Stats. Lots and lots of stats.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can see how the Packers stack up against the rest of the league.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/opp.htm

Just to cull out some of the major ones: The Packers rank 5th in the league so far on offense and 4th on defense.

They're 4th in rushing and 5th in scoring but only 18th in passing yardage.

Despite the high overall defensive rank they are only 16th against the run, 26th against the pass and 28th in point allowed.

On special teams the Packers' return games are 23rd and the kicking and punting 14th.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been visiting that website for close to a decade now.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Buggybill hasn't. :whistling:

I don't either. I've seen it once in a while when searching for a certain player or a certain historical event. I'm like Buggybill in some respects regarding this. Dad, and the family would sit around on the back porch and discuss the teams and the games long before the world wide web came into personal popularity.

Back then we weren't trying to "win arguments" we were just enjoying the game. I remember how my friends and I did have debates about who was better, Unitas or Starr. But it wasn't to show that we had superior knowledge over each other. We each knew we were biased and had fun with it. We even complimented each other's QB when we watched them do something cool. :eek: (It was what we called sportsmanship in those days.) One of my very best friends was even a Vikings fan. When we unwrapped our bubble gum packs and looked at the cards ,(which we stuck on our bicycles to make motorcycle sounds) I would always give him the Viking cards and he would give me the Packers.

We didn't use stats other than W and L. But we talked about what we *saw* them do in the games we got to watch. I'm ok with some guys being stataholics. That's their thing. I just have more fun talking about the common reference point of what we saw, rather than what numbers we read.

So, if stats is your thing. Knock yourself out, just don't try to use them as bludgeons to "win" arguments. (It just makes you look like you can use a search engine well.) :D

Someone said; "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost; for support, not illumination." :roflmao:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Stats can be overused and misinterpreted. And some stats like pressures have a subjective element to them. Some other stats are also known as facts.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who think stats are worthless, MM in his last presser mentioned he and the coaching staff spent time going over stats during the break: http://www.packers.com/media-center...amentals/cce5d402-4a28-4d2d-851b-70b245977409

Evaluating stats is the reason every team in the NFL has a computer guy that runs all the numbers week after week. It was Mike Eayrs for the Packers until this season, when he retired as planned. MM had this to say about him:

"He's so professional, so thorough," McCarthy said in a 2011 interview. "He has case studies for everything. He's a brainiac.
"I always set the message for the week. He takes my message and puts it into a statistical frame that he presents on Thursday. He may be the best in the business." (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...nformation-retires-b99593263z1-331855511.html)

Nobody in the NFL ignores stats.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet they spent a whole bunch more time going over the actual game tape than they did stats. Just keep that in mind

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics and mini-skirts are pliable.”
Mark Twain

((I added the text shown in italics. Don't think mini-skirts were invented yet when Mark Twain was alive. Poor guy.))

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm definitely a stat guy because I like to see how the trends set up over time. I'm rarely a stat-in-an-argument guy.

I don't imagine that anyone here is disillusioned enough to believe that stats are useless and should be ignored in the NFL. However, I think that teams (like most businesses) use it to gain additional information versus using it as the basis for decision making. It augments their knowledge.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen stats and I've seen mini skirts. Believe me they are nothing alike and someone who spends their life looking at one probably won't see much of the other.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
For those of you who think stats are worthless, MM in his last presser mentioned he and the coaching staff spent time going over stats during the break: http://www.packers.com/media-center...amentals/cce5d402-4a28-4d2d-851b-70b245977409

Evaluating stats is the reason every team in the NFL has a computer guy that runs all the numbers week after week. It was Mike Eayrs for the Packers until this season, when he retired as planned. MM had this to say about him:

"He's so professional, so thorough," McCarthy said in a 2011 interview. "He has case studies for everything. He's a brainiac.
"I always set the message for the week. He takes my message and puts it into a statistical frame that he presents on Thursday. He may be the best in the business." (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...nformation-retires-b99593263z1-331855511.html)

Whoa! Did anyone else catch that? He takes the message and THEN fits the statistics around it. Uh huh.....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Statistically speaking, I think mini skirts are up 8-1 and who can argue with a mini skirt being up?

Members online

Latest posts