Starters and Backups

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Who will be our starters at each position on offense and defense, and who will be their backup.

For me it's:
(Position: Starter - Backup - Backup)

-Offense-

QB: Aaron Rodgers - Matt Flynn - Graham Harrell

RB: Ryan Grant - Brandon Jackson - Kregg Lumpkin

FB: John Kuhn - Korey Hall - Quinn Johnson

TE: Jermichael Finley - Donald Lee - Spencer Havner

WR: Donald Driver - Jordy Nelson - Brett Swain

WR: Greg Jennings - James Jones

C: Jason Spitz - Scott Wells

G: Daryn Colledge - Evan Dietrich-Smith

G: Josh Sitton - Marshall Newhouse

T: Mark Tauscher - Bryan Bulaga

T: Chad Clifton - T.J Lang

-Defense-

NT: B.J Raji - Anthony Toribio

DE: Cullen Jenkins - Jarius Wynn - C.J Wilson

DE: Johnny Jolly - Ryan Pickett - Mike Neal

ILB: Nick Barnett - Brandon Chillar

ILB: A.J Hawk - Desmond Bishop

OLB: Clay Mathews - Brady Poppinga

OLB: Brad Jones - Cyril Obiozor

SS: Morgan Burnett - Atari Bigby - Derrick Martin

FS: Nick Collins - Charlie Peprah - Will Blackmon

CB: Al Harris - Tramon Williams - Josh Bell

CB: Charles Woodson - Brandon Underwood - Pat Lee

Well this is my rough little "Prediction" as for who's gonna start or be a reserve, as of our current roster. Again this is how I see what's gonna happen for now, but there's still training camp, and pre-season to go through so there's no telling for sure what's going to happen.

What do you think?

OP
OP
Oklahoma_Packer

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that I think both Lang, and Bulaga can play both Left and Right Tackle, so I'm sure both will be backups to both spots.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Who will be our starters at each position on offense and defense, and who will be their backup.

-Offense-

-Defense-
NT: Ryan Pickett - B.J Raji - Anthony Toribio
DE: Johnny Jolly - Justin Harrell

What do you think?

RB: Lumpkin hasnt...and most likely wont be seeing much the field much if at all.
Grant - Starks - Jackson

FB: Hopefully we can get RID of one of those...Johnson...we have so many other areas where we could use depth.
John Kuhn - Korey Hall

TE: I hope Quarless is somewhere in that equation. I like Havner alot though.. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Lee.
Jermichael Finely - Andrew Quarless - Spencer Havner

NT: Pickett.. at DE? Its time for Raji to step in...and wheres Neal? Toribio...never heard of but hopefully...
Raji - Toribio - Neal

DE: Jolly.....with all legal his problems..hopefully will be a starter. I havent really read up on his suspension or if so. Harrell? No faith.
Pickett - Neal/Wilson

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I agree with all the original except for Burnett. I think Bigby will start just because it is really hard for a rookie to come in and play day 1 and have a solid understanding of Dom Caper's defense.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt we keep 3 FBs on the roster again. I think Kuhn will win the starting job over Hall, they're virtually the same players except that Hall has had some injury concerns in the past. As for the competition for 3rd string RB, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lumpkin finally on the roster. That would mean Starks getting bumped down into the practice squad which I could see happening. Starks is just coming off a major injury so I doubt he would get a lot of reps anyway, why not give that position to a RB that we know will be able to get a lot of carries?

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookies will play a more prominent role than what you have. Fits with Thompson's philosophy

-Offense-

QB: Aaron Rodgers - Matt Flynn
RB: Ryan Grant - Brandon Jackson - James Starks
FB: Quinn Johnson - John Kuhn
TE: Jermichael Finley - Andrew Quarless - Spencer Havner
C: Scott Wells - Evan Dietrich-Smith
G: Daryn Colledge - Jason Spitz
T: Mark Tauscher - TJ Lang (Lang starts by the end of the year)
T: Chad Clifton - Bryan Bulaga

-Defense-

NT: B.J Raji - Ryan Pickett
DE: Johnny Jolly - Mike Neal
OLB: Clay Mathews - Cyril Obiozor
OLB: Brad Jones - one of the FA OLBs
FS: Nick Collins - Will Blackmon
CB: Tramon Williams - Al Harris - Sam Shields (Harris on PUP; joins in week 7 and replaces someone on IR)

-Special-
K: Crosby
P: Bryan
LS: Goode

Also, I would not be surprised if Thompson traded either Spitz or Colledge (whoever does not win the starting LG job) for an OLB. Nick McDonald becomes the other guy on the OL then

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with only 2 QBs. One of the rookie QBs we have right now will end up on the PS. I think Bulaga will back up Clifton and Lang behind Tauscher. Newhouse will back up one of the guards. Will it be Colledge/Spitz or Sitton? I think Starks will be here instead of Lumpkin. Johnson isn't going anywhere if we kept 3 FBs last year. It will be interesting to see what they do if Harrell, by some miracle, is still healthy at the end of August!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with only 2 QBs. One of the rookie QBs we have right now will end up on the PS. I think Bulaga will back up Clifton and Lang behind Tauscher. Newhouse will back up one of the guards. Will it be Colledge/Spitz or Sitton? I think Starks will be here instead of Lumpkin. Johnson isn't going anywhere if we kept 3 FBs last year. It will be interesting to see what they do if Harrell, but some miracle, is still healthy at the end of August!

I agree on the Bulaga part but I do not want any line shuffling like last year, period! Newhouse has potential to play Tackle if need be but I'd rather develop him into a guard, it'll be quicker and more efficient to do that. I don't think Starks is a lock just yet to make the final roster. Lumpkin has been comepting year in and year out for a spot. Maybe he gets lucky this season but I highly doubt it. If Lumpkin happens to get cut again, is there a chance he may out of the practice squad for an active roster spot for another team?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookies will play a more prominent role than what you have. Fits with Thompson's philosophy

-Offense-

QB: Aaron Rodgers - Matt Flynn
RB: Ryan Grant - Brandon Jackson - James Starks
FB: Quinn Johnson - John Kuhn
TE: Jermichael Finley - Andrew Quarless - Spencer Havner
C: Scott Wells - Evan Dietrich-Smith
G: Daryn Colledge - Jason Spitz
T: Mark Tauscher - TJ Lang (Lang starts by the end of the year)
T: Chad Clifton - Bryan Bulaga

-Defense-

NT: B.J Raji - Ryan Pickett
DE: Johnny Jolly - Mike Neal
OLB: Clay Mathews - Cyril Obiozor
OLB: Brad Jones - one of the FA OLBs
FS: Nick Collins - Will Blackmon
CB: Tramon Williams - Al Harris - Sam Shields (Harris on PUP; joins in week 7 and replaces someone on IR)

-Special-
K: Crosby
P: Bryan
LS: Goode

Also, I would not be surprised if Thompson traded either Spitz or Colledge (whoever does not win the starting LG job) for an OLB. Nick McDonald becomes the other guy on the OL then
I agree. I think, when it's said and done, this will be the roster...

OP
OP
Oklahoma_Packer

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For me it's:
(Position: Starter - Backup - Backup)

-Offense-

QB: Aaron Rodgers - Matt Flynn - Graham Harrell

C: Jason Spitz - Scott Wells

G: Daryn Colledge - Evan Dietrich-Smith

T: Mark Tauscher - Bryan Bulaga

T: Chad Clifton - T.J Lang

-Defense-

NT: Ryan Pickett - B.J Raji - Anthony Toribio

DE: Johnny Jolly - Justin Harrell

OLB: Clay Mathews - Brady Poppinga

OLB: Brad Jones - Cyril Obiozor

FS: Nick Collins - Charlie Peprah - Will Blackmon

CB: Al Harris - Tramon Williams - Josh Bell

Well this is my rough little "Prediction" as for who's gonna start or be a reserve, as of our current roster. Again this is how I see what's gonna happen for now, but there's still training camp, and pre-season to go through so there's no telling for sure what's going to happen.

What do you think?

Okay. I have Harrell at the 3rd QB spot because I'm not sure if their gonna have three QB's or just two like last year. If their just going to use two, then Harrell will go to the PS.

At FB, I think Kuhn will start, and Hall or Johnson will be his Backup. Whoever doesn't make the second spot will either be cut. I put three on there for the chance we'll have three fullbacks like last year, but I'm not sure.

At TE, I think Finley will start without question. I'm 99.9% sure Donald Lee will be the backup, and honestly not sure who'll be third string. I put Havner because he's already been on the roster for the last two years and last year had four touchdown catches with one of those in the playoff game against the cards.

At RB, obviously Grant will be our starter like always. I'm also confident that Jackson will be backup here. It took a few minutes to decide, but I put Lumpkin at third string because - 1: Lumpkin has seen the field a lot in preseason and has competed pretty hard for the last few years for a spot on the roster. and 2: If I'm not mistaken, Starks is coming off of an injury, so there's gonna be some question marks around him.

I like the O-Line how I have it, with some of the other guards and tackles on the PS, just in case (And I hope to God not) we have another injury plagued season at O-Line.

I don't like Pickett at DE, but I do want to see Raji get in some too.

I also have decided now that Harrell was a bust, and don't think now that he's even going to be Jolly's backup. Either Harrell or Neal behind Jolly.

I'll keep the LB's how I had them.

Bigby got torched by Warner in our last game. Not to mention it seems like he's always hurt. I think he still might start, but I wouldn't be surprised if Burnett starts instead.

I put us having three FS's, but that may not actually happen. Collins will start as expected, and with the signing of Peprah, Blackmon moving to Safety, and the release of Giordano, it made it hard for me to see what would happen there, so I put both Peprah, and Blackmon.

CB's will stay as is, as long as Lee and Underwood stay healthy. It seems like Pat Lee has gotten hurt for the past two years, before the season even began.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay. I have Harrell at the 3rd QB spot because I'm not sure if their gonna have three QB's or just two like last year. If their just going to use two, then Harrell will go to the PS.
I don't think Harrell can go to the PS. He's been with the team for more than 3 years, and if I'm not mistaken, has played more than 9 games

At FB, I think Kuhn will start, and Hall or Johnson will be his Backup. Whoever doesn't make the second spot will either be cut, or put on the PS. I put three on there for the chance we'll have three fullbacks like last year, but I'm not sure.
I don't think neither Hall nor Johnson can be in the PS.

I doubt Pickett will be moved to DE, and if he does, I don't think that would be a very good idea. I would MUCH rather him stay at NT.
Pickett has already been moved to DE, "permanently": Twitter / Greg A. Bedard: Both Raji and Pickett conf ...

Just wanted to make those points... Things that actually can't happen. The rest, I disagree with some, but I can't say for sure. Your points have merits...

OP
OP
Oklahoma_Packer

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Harrell can go to the PS. He's been with the team for more than 3 years, and if I'm not mistaken, has played more than 9 games

I don't think neither Hall nor Johnson can be in the PS.

Pickett has already been moved to DE, "permanently": Twitter / Greg A. Bedard: Both Raji and Pickett conf ...

Just wanted to make those points... Things that actually can't happen. The rest, I disagree with some, but I can't say for sure. Your points have merits...

Fixed it. I didn't realize they couldn't go to the PS. Thanks for making that clear.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just keep in mind Jolly and his legal trouble and Atari hasnt signed yet, hes not even with team for OTA's at this point.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we cut the guy with by far the most potential at that position?

Another guy who I wouldn't be surprised for the practice squad. I agree he's got a lot of potential, but we're too stacked at the FB position and Johnson doesn't add as much special teams value as Kuhn or Hall which TT loves.

Members online

Latest posts