Starks deep!!!!!!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we drafted him I read he had the best hands out of the RB class, at least even with Spiller who went very early if i remember right. It even went so far as to say he had better hands than most the WRs in that class as well! He's had rookieitis that lasted a couple years. He's had some injuries. He's also been great at times. Call him our poor mans AP...WHich is a huge compliment IMO. But in all the time, we never seemed to put that receivers skill to work.

Starks was the first RB to be a great receiver. Alex Green was also suposed to be very good coming from Hawaii. As well as Franklin. Wasnt until Lacy came in and established a legit run, did Starks stay healthy, and step his game up. Lacy also let McCarthy know he can catch too. was an article about it this summer. Called himself Moss or something...

After Alex Green and then Franklin. and now we have a run... We can finally expand and use that pass catching potential, that I think was a main reason we drafted him for in the first place!

Seen Starks go deep twice now and came down with a great catch on one. If he gets comfortable catching over his shoulder.... With his top end speed!?!?!?!? He will be making some big plays for us.... Like Edgar Bennett down the sideline back in the day when he made the 6+ yard through the air to bring it in one handed and held on after laying completely out! You gotta remember that!:) Get ready because Starks is going to bring it back!!!

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Edgar Bennett down the sideline back in the day when he made the 6+ yard through the air to bring it in one handed and held on after laying completely out! You gotta remember that!:) Get ready because Starks is going to bring it back!!!
Ha! I brought that up to Vic Ketchem recently when talking about the best Packers catch.

I wish that I could remember which game it was or see the video. I know that I have it on a 1996 or 1997 season recap video on VHS

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised he was known as a great pass catcher coming out of college. I don't remember seeing many more players drop so many screens earlier in their career than Starks had. With that being said, he's really turned that part of his game around and very rarely let's them get past him anymore.

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy also let McCarthy know he can catch too. was an article about it this summer. Called himself Moss or something...

When someone makes a great catch over a defender, a lot of young people today (especially where Lacy comes from) say the defender got "Mossed!". Lacy "Mossed!" a few guys at practice and that's where that came from.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm surprised he was known as a great pass catcher coming out of college. I don't remember seeing many more players drop so many screens earlier in their career than Starks had. With that being said, he's really turned that part of his game around and very rarely let's them get past him anymore.
I gave you an agree when I read your first sentence and took it back when I read the second. When Rodgers puts the ball right on him like that deep ball against the Pats, he can catch it. In this case, the ball was right on his chin strap. He's iffy on anything that requires a reach. He's not fluid nor does he get good body position on swing passes. Compare and contrast to Lacy, the latter being a far more polished receiver.

As an aside, Starks ran the same route as Cobb had run earlier for a big gain out of the backfield...release down the line, turn up the sideline, isolate on Ninkovich...and Rodgers drops it in perfectly under the safety. The Cobb throw was clearly drawn up; he did not look back for the ball until he turned it upfield. The Starks throw perhaps not; he was facing in as an outlet on the release, Rodgers bailed the pocket, and Starks turned it up. The two plays taken together are simply a beautiful bit of football.

These 2 plays also illustrate what it looks like when 4.5 guys run against a 4.8 guy. 3/10ths. over 40 yards is about the margin of separation on those two plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Starks can catch the football but to make an impact in the passing game he has to get on the field first. Which is pretty tough as of now with Lacy turning into a complete back.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
RB's and WR's are always going to be quicker in the first 20 yards than LB's who have to turn their hips and then chase. That is where separation is created imo, not some numbers from a 40 yard sprint in shorts and T from a combine.
It was a well designed and well executed play isolating a fast guy on a big LB. Kudos to McCarthy.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave you an agree when I read your first sentence and took it back when I read the second. When Rodgers puts the ball right on him like that deep ball against the Pats, he can catch it. In this case, the ball was right on his chin strap. He's iffy on anything that requires a reach. He's not fluid nor does he get good body position on swing passes. Compare and contrast to Lacy, the latter being a far more polished receiver.

As an aside, Starks ran the same route as Cobb had run earlier for a big gain out of the backfield...release down the line, turn up the sideline, isolate on Ninkovich...and Rodgers drops it in perfectly under the safety. The Cobb throw was clearly drawn up; he did not look back for the ball until he turned it upfield. The Starks throw perhaps not; he was facing in as an outlet on the release, Rodgers bailed the pocket, and Starks turned it up. The two plays taken together are simply a beautiful bit of football.

These 2 plays also illustrate what it looks like when 4.5 guys run against a 4.8 guy. 3/10ths. over 40 yards is about the margin of separation on those two plays.

Starks is a 4.5 guy. Yes. But he has a top gear that we rarely get to see, and doesnt equate to the 40... Reminds me of Jordy and his long stride. Jordy also fell in the draft because of his 40 time. Both run right away once they get up to speed..... Janis too.