'Splain this one Lucy?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rogers 1st 2 seasons …. 15 completions 31 attempts 111 yards 0 TDs 1 interception … point being “we “ had no idea about him and “we” have no idea about Love
And that was with full tc and preseasons.. Love hasnt had that opportunity.

But I know he threw a td in tough arrowhead KC and Rodgers didnt at home in playoffs.

Thats a side ways dig, but its true

Funny thing. Packers knew love was raw..knew he needed time. Knew he is a project. Thru tried to trade for a spot and grab a wr.. I forgot whom it was? So they went to what they thought would help in the future.

It seems like people here think the packers expected him to be a starter right away.

My "guess" ;) and I think I said it b4. They felt they had 3 years b4 he really needed to be ready. Then covid hit.

Book is not closed at all

I cant wait to see when he has a solid chance to grow up

Reaction score
Even though I say a 2nd round pick for Love would be valuable, I'm inclined to believe that keeping him for the entire season does make more sense for a couple of reasons. First, he knows the system, and is ready to go if anything happens to Rodgers. Secondly, if we trade him, it costs us cap space that we need.

So, I'm siding with those who think he stays, at least for this year. Unless, of course, a sweetheart deal to trade him comes down the pike. ;)
Agreed. While I agree spending a top 25 selection is heavy for a backup QB, we’ve got to roll with the punches. Giving him 1 more season to mature isn’t going to affect his overall value much in a trade scenario.

In the meantime, like you said, we’ve got a young gun with a strong arm 3 years in our playbook for $3.3M.

Also I can’t help but wonder if Tom Clements sudden reappearance isn’t at least partially a thought out measure to help hasten the development of Love.

Reaction score
But I know he threw a td in tough arrowhead KC and Rodgers didnt at home in playoffs.
It’s interesting that at the time, the forum was clamoring with how Love could be so bad against one of the worst Defenses in the league in his first NFL start on the Road.
Yet as an observation, KC finished 8th in points allowed. The same spot that the Super Bowl Championship Bucs finished in 2020. KC was 5th best D in the AFC behind
NE, Buffalo, Denver and TN.
Hardly a slouch Defense

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s interesting that at the time, the forum was clamoring with how Love could be so bad against one of the worst Defenses in the league in his first NFL start on the Road.
Yet as an observation, KC finished 8th in points allowed. The same spot that the Super Bowl Championship Bucs finished in 2020. KC was 5th best D in the AFC behind
Hardly a slouch Defense
Shhhhh

D

Deleted member 6794

Love has not proven he wouldn't be a good back up.
I'm not convinced Love wouldn't be ready to perform at a decent level if Rodgers had to miss some games.

True, it's impossible to fairly evaluate Love at this point in his career. I don't feel confident about him becoming a decent starter though.

Actually, the reason I've stated Love is a good back up is simply because he knows the system, and someone coming in would have to go with a seriously dumb down version of our offense. It's a matter of how much of the playbook you can employ. Love offers more of it.

The Packers would need to run a dumb down version of their offense with Love as well.

Hardly a slouch Defense

While the Chiefs defense played great over the second half of last season they were only ranked 25th in points allowed at the time they faced the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, the reason I've stated Love is a good back up is simply because he knows the system, and someone coming in would have to go with a seriously dumb down version of our offense. It's a matter of how much of the playbook you can employ. Love offers more of it.

In no way is it a statement intended to say he's ready to be Rodgers replacement. Just someone to fill in. As to his ability to play at a decent level? I think we'd have to let his play determine that. For us, it's all speculation.
To even think love needa a dumbed down version is not right at all.

I can almost guarntee love has a good grasp on most of the book, he just needs the reps to put book knowledge to physical ability

Now..if his physical ability isnt there thats a whole diff issue.

Reaction score
The Packers would need to run a dumb down version of their offense with Love as well.
While the Chiefs defense played great over the second half of last season they were only ranked 25th in points allowed at the time they faced the Packers.

30pts Chargers 9/26
38pts Bills 10/12
17pts Giants 11/1
7pts Packers 11/7
9pts Cowboys 11/21
9pts Broncos 12/5
9pts Raiders
10pts Steelers

It seems that KC Defense heated up the week before. They started abusing teams at home.

You might have had a case prior to November. But the KC destroyed any semblance of your argument starting the contest before the Packers. KC allowed 10.1 points per game at Arrowhead starting the game prior to our meeting them. They hit it so hard that they shattered that early season #25 ranking you so graciously supplied through October KC plummeted to #8 overall and #1 down the stretch.

I started to believe the #25 argument prior to our contest because that was accurate at the time, but misleading today by using segments (poor early season home-away sample size) I don’t believe it anymore.

#8 rated D overall. 14.3pts allowed at home all season. KC Completely dominating at home starting Nov 1 (just look at those scores)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

These are the complete scores in Arrowhead over 9 contests. 17.55 points allowed per game.

29 Browns 9/12
30 Chargers 9/26
38 Bills 10/12
17 Giants 11/1
7 Packers 11/7
9 Cowboys 11/21
9 Broncos 12/5
9 Raiders
10 Steelers

It seems that KC Defense heated up the week before. They started abusing teams at home.

You might have had a case prior to November. But the KC destroyed any semblance of your argument starting the contest before the Packers. KC allowed 10.1 points per game at Arrowhead starting the game prior to our meeting them.

Using hindsight, we now know the truth. KC was one of the 3 hottest Defenses in the NFL when playing at home. They were #1 overall at home starting Nov 1, the week we played them.

They hit it so hard that they shattered that mid season #25 ranking and plummeted to #8 overall. Doing rough math? They were a top 2-3 overall Defense starting Nov 1

My point was that the Chiefs weren't a good defense at the time the Packers they faced them.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaptainWIMM

-----------------------
Love has been there long enough that he could use the play book. The only thing that would be missing from the Rodgers playbook are those plays that the coaching staff believed he couldn't execute. That would be true of anyone, even if they had several years working with it. That relates to specific skills.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@captainWIMM I’d argue there are maybe three or four QBs in the entire league that wouldn’t atleast at first be running a “dumbed down” version of MLF offense at first as well though. Systems take time with actual real game snaps.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People will defend the Love pick until the day he’s gone. Just the way Packer fans roll. Just gotta deal with the fake nonsense until then.

It was the same with Justin Harrell, Damarious Randall and Kevin King. I heard excuse after excuse while they were on the roster about why they were struggling and how they’re going to prove people wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

Love has been there long enough that he could use the play book. The only thing that would be missing from the Rodgers playbook are those plays that the coaching staff believed he couldn't execute. That would be true of anyone, even if they had several years working with it. That relates to specific skills.

Love would definitely not be able to run the same offense as Rodgers. That's not a knock on him but it's unrealistic to expect a quarterback who has started only one game in his career to have a similar knowledge of the offense as Rodgers.

And the Packer game was in that 5 game stretch.

Once again, you're correct. In my opinion the Packers made the Chiefs defense look better than it actually was though.

@captainWIMM I’d argue there are maybe three or four QBs in the entire league that wouldn’t atleast at first be running a “dumbed down” version of MLF offense at first as well though. Systems take time with actual real game snaps.

I absolutely agree. As mentioned above that shouldn't be understood as criticism of Love but should be expected.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
People will defend the Love pick until the day he’s gone. Just the way Packer fans roll. Just gotta deal with the fake nonsense until then.

It was the same with Justin Harrell, Damarious Randall and Kevin King. I heard excuse after excuse while they were on the roster about why they were struggling and how they’re going to prove people wrong.
Right. Let's compare a backup QB that has played in one game with starters, to 3 players that had years of actual playing time as starters to prove themselves. :rolleyes:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that this is going to be year 3 and he has 1 game is proving my point that Packers fans will do anything to defend a bad pick. Fake fans.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The fact that this is going to be year 3 and he has 1 game is proving my point that Packers fans will do anything to defend a bad pick. Fake fans.
What point are you proving? That your conclusion of Love being a bad pick because Rodgers has played so poorly in those 2 years, that Love should have been named the starter?

Tell me again now, who is the fake fan?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He has been behind a MVP and first ballot HoF. He hasn’t proven anything or anyone right or wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

What point are you proving? That your conclusion of Love being a bad pick because Rodgers has played so poorly in those 2 years, that Love should have been named the starter?

Tell me again now, who is the fake fan?

He has been behind a MVP and first ballot HoF. He hasn’t proven anything or anyone right or wrong.

As I have mentioned repeatedly it was foreseeable from the get-go that Love won't play any meaningful snaps for all of his rookie contract. What you fail to understand is that doesn't result in Love being a bad player but the Packers selecting him being a terrible pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have mentioned repeatedly it was foreseeable from the get-go that Love won't play any meaningful snaps for all of his rookie contract. What you fail to understand is that doesn't result in Love being a bad player but the Packers selecting him being a terrible pick.

I have literally said I think it wasn’t the right pick and wouldn’t have done it lol

I don’t believe my comment was at you anyways but it’s early and need more coffee so could be wrong

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t believe my comment was at you anyways but it’s early and need more coffee so could be wrong

You're right, your comment wasn't directed at me. Just wanted to explain that it seems a lot of fans misunderstand considering Love a terrible pick as an final evaluation of his chances of becoming a decent quarterback at the NFL level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts