'Splain this one Lucy?

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a draft pick you're looking for, not getting rid of Love as an objective. If the Pick could be used to bolster the team it wouldn't be a bad idea. Of course it could be no less than an mid to early 2nd round pick in my opinion. The WR is just a throw in of someone at a low salary, who has a proven track record, nothing more.

There's no way any team would give up a second rounder and a receiver for Love.

-----------------------------------

Probably not. Just shooting from the hip since we have no idea what some team might do if they're desperate to make a change, and are willing to take a risk. I've seen stupider moves from teams. There just might be someone out there that thinks he's the real deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree it wouldn't be smart for the Packers to trade Love as long as the offer isn't too enticing to pass on. For the record, if the team trades him the move would only result in $3,283,080 of dead money counting against their cap as the club acquiring him would be on the hook for his base salary in 2022 and '23.
Thanks for the correction. I love Spotrac for most contract stuff, but I need to either do the math or go over to the OTC site if looking at a trade scenario. That is one feature I wish Spotrac had, instead they just give you the dead cap if the player is cut.

Edit: Wow....never noticed. I went on Spotrac and they have an invisible column with a scissors about it. If you click on the red x in that column that corresponds to the year you want to look at, it gives you all the cut or trade scenarios, pre and post June 1.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. I love Spotrac for most contract stuff, but I need to either do the math or go over to the OTC site if looking at a trade scenario. That is one feature I wish Spotrac had, instead they just give you the dead cap if the player is cut.

Edit: Wow....never noticed. I went on Spotrac and they have an invisible column with a scissors about it. If you click on the red x in that column that corresponds to the year you want to look at, it gives you all the cut or trade scenarios, pre and post June 1.
It's amazing how detailed their information is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick reminder to get your picks in the annual Amish draft contest in soon over at the Draft Talk forum. We're less than a week away from the big day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Throw another Vet WR's name into the potential signing after the draft for the Packers, that of Desean Jackson. Fans first reactions will no doubt be "he's too old and past his prime." Perhaps, but he actually put up some decent numbers last year for the Raiders and Rams, especially given that he was probably playing as the #3 or 4 WR all year, for 2 different teams.

He could possibly be the deep threat that MVS was. MVS played in less games due to his injury than Jackson played in, but MVS's targets were 21 more than Jackson. Yet Jackson put up more yards, as well as much higher yds/catch and yds/tgt numbers.

DJ: Tgt: 34 Rec: 20 Yds: 454 Y/R: 22.7 Y/tgt: 13.35 TD: 2

MVS: Tgt: 55 Rec: 26 Yds: 430 Y/R: 16.5 Y/tgt: 7.82 TD: 3

Jackson is contemplating retirement, but he said that there are a select few teams that he would consider playing for and the Packers are one of them. The Packers should wait and see what they get in the draft. IF they don't get the WR's they want and feel Jackson could provide a year of decent play, I would be in favor of signing him on a contract similar to or for even less than what they just gave Watkins.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've seen stupider moves from teams.

True, like the Packers trading up in the first round to select Love in the first place.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that either.

It's amazing how detailed their information is.

Yes and they seem to be a bit like Wiki, as soon as the information is known, it is updated.

They still haven't figured out Rodgers' contract though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this talk about no one would give a second rounder for Love…I think someone might.

A second rounder for Love plus one of our fourths maybe lol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All this talk about no one would give a second rounder for Love…I think someone might.

Are you saying that some might do anything for Love?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Personally, I think we need to keep Love, keeps the team together.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score

Hey hey now!

I just think keeping Love this season and trying to get him on the best footing we can. If there’s a draft trade for anything less than a top 50 type it’s really not even worth it. Ok ok maybe 55 or whatever. But it would be fruitless to trade him for a Day 3 selection. His value at backup QB is worth more than that.

I was going to mention that it would be interesting to have Jordan paired with a couple of potent Draft WR/TE this camp-preseason to see if he can make a leap. I recall last year in a 2 min drill against our #1 Defense he rolled 80 yards and impressed by capping it with a TD before time expired.

Last edited:
Reaction score

That I might entertain only because I feel like another top 50 selection in trade could be someone who could make a difference in 2022. Anything outside of about top 50 doesn’t impress me as enough to give away our backup QB and start over.

I think posters forget that there’s a need for a good backup in this game. While that might not be “long-term” plan A, it’s absolutely plan A short term. We are still in the short term imo. Speaking to player age Love is a equivalent a Baby about to get off the bottle. It’s not like we didn’t know he’d be our backup (lose some sleep in infancy) it’s all part of the program of growing up.

I find it almost comical that fans compare Love to Rodgers as if they are supposed to Run the Offense like a 17 year veteran HOF QB. Really?
Imagine if we held our kids to that standard they’d all run away!

Age is only good If it’s paired with the patience of a good teacher. A good teacher has confidence and doesn’t panic after Kindergarten class is over and scold the children like they had just dropped out of Law school at Harvard

Last edited:
OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I say a 2nd round pick for Love would be valuable, I'm inclined to believe that keeping him for the entire season does make more sense for a couple of reasons. First, he knows the system, and is ready to go if anything happens to Rodgers. Secondly, if we trade him, it costs us cap space that we need.

So, I'm siding with those who think he stays, at least for this year. Unless, of course, a sweetheart deal to trade him comes down the pike. ;)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People believing any team is going to give the Packers a 2nd round pick for Love, who has not looked good when he's played, are delusional. Why in the world would a team trade a 2nd for a QB just in time to have him come off his rookie contract?

So, yes, getting a 2nd for Love would be terrific. I would love to get a Bugatti for my Fusion too.

D

Deleted member 6794

I recall last year in a 2 min drill against our #1 Defense he rolled 80 yards and impressed by capping it with a TD before time expired.

Wow, haven't heard of that, pretty impressive. The Packers should have made him the starter based on it :rolleyes:

I think posters forget that there’s a need for a good backup in this game.

True, but Love hasn't proven to be capable of being a good backup.

I find it almost comical that fans compare Love to Rodgers as if they are supposed to Run the Offense like a 17 year veteran HOF QB. Really?

Nobody was expecting Love to perform at the same level as Rodgers at this point in his career. There's no doubt he didn't play up to expectations when getting a chance though.

Even though I say a 2nd round pick for Love would be valuable, I'm inclined to believe that keeping him for the entire season does make more sense for a couple of reasons. First, he knows the system, and is ready to go if anything happens to Rodgers.

I'm not convinced Love would be ready to perform at a decent level if Rodgers has to miss some games though.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throw another Vet WR's name into the potential signing after the draft for the Packers, that of Desean Jackson. Fans first reactions will no doubt be "he's too old and past his prime." Perhaps, but he actually put up some decent numbers last year for the Raiders and Rams, especially given that he was probably playing as the #3 or 4 WR all year, for 2 different teams.

He could possibly be the deep threat that MVS was. MVS played in less games due to his injury than Jackson played in, but MVS's targets were 21 more than Jackson. Yet Jackson put up more yards, as well as much higher yds/catch and yds/tgt numbers.

DJ: Tgt: 34 Rec: 20 Yds: 454 Y/R: 22.7 Y/tgt: 13.35 TD: 2

MVS: Tgt: 55 Rec: 26 Yds: 430 Y/R: 16.5 Y/tgt: 7.82 TD: 3

Jackson is contemplating retirement, but he said that there are a select few teams that he would consider playing for and the Packers are one of them. The Packers should wait and see what they get in the draft. IF they don't get the WR's they want and feel Jackson could provide a year of decent play, I would be in favor of signing him on a contract similar to or for even less than what they just gave Watkins.

Wow, haven't heard of that, pretty impressive. The Packers should have made him the starter based on it :rolleyes:

Nobody was expecting Love to perform at the same level as Rodgers at this point in his career. There's no doubt he didn't play up to expectations when getting a chance though.

I'm not convinced Love would be ready to perform at a decent level if Rodgers has to miss some games though.
Love has not proven he wouldn't be a good back up.
I'm not convinced Love wouldn't be ready to perform at a decent level if Rodgers had to miss some games.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually, the reason I've stated Love is a good back up is simply because he knows the system, and someone coming in would have to go with a seriously dumb down version of our offense. It's a matter of how much of the playbook you can employ. Love offers more of it.

In no way is it a statement intended to say he's ready to be Rodgers replacement. Just someone to fill in. As to his ability to play at a decent level? I think we'd have to let his play determine that. For us, it's all speculation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually, the reason I've stated Love is a good back up is simply because he knows the system, and someone coming in would have to go with a seriously dumb down version of our offense. It's a matter of how much of the playbook you can employ. Love offers more of it.
Let's face it, the Packers could spend $5M++ on a veteran backup QB and it probably won't be enough of an improvement, if any, over Love. If Rodgers goes down for any extended period of time, the Packers are probably fooked anyway. Trading Love away for a late round pick serves no purpose at all, except maybe to give all those Packer fans who keep belly aching about the pick, time to vent (even more). :coffee:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers 1st 2 seasons …. 15 completions 31 attempts 111 yards 0 TDs 1 interception … point being “we “ had no idea about him and “we” have no idea about Love

Members online

Latest posts