1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Spencer Havner breaks scapula in motorcycle accident

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Mar 15, 2010.

1. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +53
    Source: ProFootballTalk.com

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I wonder if we draft another TE late in the draft... This guy sure as hell aint staying.

3. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    Because of a DUI? Johnny Jolly's still here, despite his legal issues.

(EDIT: Moved to the Packer Forum from NFL News)

4. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Well i hope the guy gets better and I hope that this doesn't hurt him in the long run once the season starts. Havner is a good TE, I don't think we'll need another one that urgentlly.

5. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    He had only minor injuries, and is denying the DUI. He'll play, and he's better than Lee...

6. A1MEANGREEN

A1MEANGREEN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    yeah dont think hes going anywhere

7. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    He has not been convicted yet. Havner and his agent are denying he was drunk at the time of the accident. This is just sad, hope he recovers and this does not jeopardize his career.

8. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    If everyone is honest with themselves, the majority (not all) have been lucky and never got caught during the their lives. If you can get on your soap box and say never, good for you. The majority of people at one point in their lives have done something under the influence, even if that behavior is long gone now.

Sad part about Havner is that he is a good guy as far as his work ethic. He spent 3 years on the practice squad on shaky ground trying to make the roster, finally made it and made an impact his first year. That takes a certain amount of character and determination to do that.

I understand what some people are feeling, most of us would love an opportunity to play in the NFL and fine it hard to believe that they would risk that opportunity with a motorcycle and drinking.

9. A1MEANGREEN

A1MEANGREEN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    i couldnt agree more. no soap box here !!!!!

10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    The original report said he was arrested for his 2nd DUI. Which is 90 days in jail minimum. If he wasnt arrested then that changes things, as reports are saying.

11. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +53
    Havner has been arrested for DUI, but not charged yet

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

12. claybillings

claybillings Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    According to both himself and his agent he WAS NOT arrested on the spot for a dui, but after having his injuries attended to he was taken the local jail for questioning, specifically about a DUI (and probably about being smart and wearing a helmet).

I am from the Grass Valley area (where this all occured) and know the road that he was on when he had his spill, it's a dangerous road, one that people FLY on all the time, so speeding and dangerous driving are nothing new there. Im surprised he didn't have worse injuries, but Im glad hes ok.

Supposedly his recover from a broken scapula will take around 2 months, so he will be ready for training camp, but I can imagine it taking him a while to feel comfortable again because of the fact he wont be participating in the off-season workout schedule anymore.

By the way, Havner comes from one of my high-school rival teams, Nevada Union. So while it's hard for me to root for him sometimes, at least I am familiar with where he comes from and the type of person that he is (according to people I have talked that know him).

13. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    I have a motorcycle.........and one thing I won't do.......is drink and go riding. I see bikes lined up at bars.......and I am like...that is one of the dumbest things to do. Not to mention more than half the fatalities on bikes are alcohol related. Back to the subject though.......Havner staying or leaving Green bay won't really affect the team either way.

14. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    I hope he recovers and will continue to play for us :D

15. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    I've never driven drunk (I only really drink Diet Mountain Dew), but that's neither here nor there.

I fully expect Havner to be a Packer in 2010. Unless the injury keeps him out into the season, then I wouldn't be shocked if Thompson cut him and waited to resign him until he was healthy, like Tauscher.

16. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I drive drunk all the time. Not wasted, drunk. I know I become a danger, even with low alcohol (I don't tend to drink enough to do any stupidity, I can't stand getting a hangover and throwing up). But taxi prices and the distance of my home to any night club are so ridiculous that it propels me to do so.

When there's someone to drive for me, the better. I can even drink more.

And as here in Brazil the law is absolutely 0.0% of alcohol in the blood, it doesn't matter if I drink too much or too little to the law anyway.

So I'm not one to point fingers at this.

I have never caused any accidents while drunk, though. I tend to drive better when I have some alcohol, drive really slow and in the right.

17. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
  18. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    I am pleading the fifth...sorry.
    I hope the guy learns something from this, and hope it does not change his life in a bad way.

19. A12ROD903

A12ROD903 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    That broken scapula will heal, but IMO a broken bone that is healed is never as strong as before it was broken so 1 wrong hit, or if he hits the ground on his shoulder could mean a another injury. Scapula fractures on a football player is 1 of the worst spots to break something I mean that use their shoulders to hit so that broken scapula will constantly be challenged. I hope he recovers well.

20. packerfn79

packerfn79 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    do they no if he was under any influences or not but this isnt good that must suck so bad

21. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    He won't get cut for this, I would be suprised and upset if he did.. Everybody makes mistakes, and people have done worse things than DUI and still kept playing... He didnt kill anybody and risked himself more than anyone else being on a motorcycle... IMO

22. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I completely agree with you...

My worry is not about the DUI, as he's refuting it.

But there's reports that he was driving without a helmet... that's dumb as hell...

23. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I'm not worried at all what the Packers are going to do with him. He'll definitely be on the roster for 2010. What does scare me is what the league is going to do. Maybe a 1 game suspension or a possible fine?

24. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    Roger Goodell takes pride in punishing players. He must have gotten beat up alot in school........and now he has the power to get his revenge. He would have fit in well with the 3rd Riech (Germany) back in the late 1930's, early 1940's. I personally think the guy over steps his authority. Just my opinion. Anyhow.....hope Havner heals fast.

25. lancer84

lancer84 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    Good thing it wasn't anything more serious, bad decision still, but everyone makes mistakes... I honestly if I had that much money... I'd have a limo pick me up every time I drink; a lot of problems would be solved. Yeah Jolly's legal problems are definitely worse....IMO