Some say our biggest need is in the secondary, is this true?

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The O-line is still the most pressing need to improve the team, a repeat performance from our last years squad is not acceptable to take this team to the next level. The O-line by themselves almost cost the Pack the season. Clifton represents maintaining last years performance (Jerad Allen) and will not be available due to injury when we will need him most, negating anything gained. Left guard position is not strong at all with Colledge, Spitz has had back surgery (Justin Harrell) and with the Tauscher still not signed the right tackle position is still not certain. Our O-line has not been improved, maintained maybe, not improved. Last years performance was will not get the Pack any further this year.

Our secondary that is healthy is further along with talent and skill players than our O-line. I would still argue that a 3-4 defense foundation (like the O-line) is the LBs. Not only are we looking at a rookie/Brad Jones opposite of Mathews, but the position next to Barnett (Hawk/Chillar/Bishop) is uncertain and weak. Without a solid group of LBs, you will not see the fruits of any upgrading in your secondary if the better QBs in this league have time to throw the ball, advantage goes to the offense.

First step is to get the QB to throw the ball before is he ready, thus eliminating the offensive advantage and a good CB a chance. Pressure has to come first, lack of pressure will make even Woodson/Collins look average (Cardinal game).

Priority for the Pack:
1 - O-line, an upgrade of some sorts (Iupatai), able backup for LT and future LT
2 - LBs - must get good consistent run stops and pass rush with a solid group of 4 as the foundation of our 3-4 defense. Need depth at the OLB position and possible starter and a starter opposite of Barnett at the ILB position.

Third, and this is if we can do anything at all, CB and safety. In the draft if a better return man, running back, or receiver is available I would chose the biggest impact over need.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think at some point we have to address the age in our secondary. Harris is old as hell, so is Woodson though he can clearly still play. At some point, you have to take a corner to sort of phase into the lineup in a couple years when Harris or Woodson retires. Similar to taking Rodgers years before Favre retired.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Dilligaff, while Jess also has a good point. If it were me though, I would protect my franchise quarterback as well as I possibly could. I hope to see a OT/OG with the 1st pick, then look at best player available between CB/LB or an additional OT/OG in the 2nd. Probabaly LB first though, because IMO, a good pass rush makes the secondary better.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Priority for the Pack:
1 - O-line, an upgrade of some sorts (Iupatai), able backup for LT and future LT
2 - LBs - must get good consistent run stops and pass rush with a solid group of 4 as the foundation of our 3-4 defense. Need depth at the OLB position and possible starter and a starter opposite of Barnett at the ILB position.

Third, and this is if we can do anything at all, CB and safety. In the draft if a better return man, running back, or receiver is available I would chose the biggest impact over need.

I totally agree. In that order. Address those positions in the draft, just like that. 1st round O line.......2nd round OLB........3rd round CB or Safety......4th round another CB /Saftey or maybe Holliday as a retun man if he's still there. After that....best guy on the board and a punter.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Okung, Williams, Bulaga, Davis, Brown, Campbell and Iupati are gone, do you adress OL in the first round???

I know, a bit farfetched, but still...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Okung, Williams, Bulaga, Davis, Brown, Campbell and Iupati are gone, do you adress OL in the first round???

Yeah like I've stated multiple times before, I can't see 5-6 other teams passing up quality linebackers or players just to draft project lineman. After the combine I bet that either Davis or Brown will be their when we pick.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to remember, that these mock drafts everywhere mean little to nothing. I remember most mocks last year had Michael Oher going in the top 15. Plus there will be some team that will fall in love with some work-out warrior that had an impressive pro day allowing someone to drop to us.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah like I've stated multiple times before, I can't see 5-6 other teams passing up quality linebackers or players just to draft project lineman. After the combine I bet that either Davis or Brown will be their when we pick.
I'd take Brown over Davis in a hearth beat.

It may sound ridiculous 7 months from now, but what I see on every highlight/lowlight suggests that Charles Brown is the better player.

I have him as my #3 OT, actually, behind Okung and Bulaga.

The problem with him is strenght. He only bench pressed 21 reps at the combine, and despite being able to weight at 300 pounds, he didn't do any movement drills (40 yard, 3-cone drills).

So everything we know about his mobility is at less than 295 pounds at USC...

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do need help in our secondary. Like Bigby but is always hurt.. Pat Lee will hopefully start to come on this year, and we do have Tramon who I think will be a solid starting corner after Al's gone. But it can never hurt to bring in another guy. Jarrett Bush better not be on the final 53 man roster, he better be gone, he is just terribly painful to watch.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do need help in our secondary. Like Bigby but is always hurt.. Pat Lee will hopefully start to come on this year, and we do have Tramon who I think will be a solid starting corner after Al's gone. But it can never hurt to bring in another guy. Jarrett Bush better not be on the final 53 man roster, he better be gone, he is just terribly painful to watch.
We do need help in our secondary, but we can find prospects in round 2-3 as good as the ones that'll be available to us in the 1st round.

Not the case with the OL.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure if that scenario is far fetched really. I would say if all those guys are gone.......we need to take the highest rated OLB or some secondary help and then hit the Oline in the 2nd round. I have been wondering what TT would do if those guys are all gone by #23.......for some time now.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if that scenario is far fetched really. I would say if all those guys are gone.......we need to take the highest rated OLB or some secondary help and then hit the Oline in the 2nd round. I have been wondering what TT would do if those guys are all gone by #23.......for some time now.

O-line is priority, but if no one is available, then I would look for a LB, not just an outside LB, but if a Ray Lewis type of inside is available with our 23rd pick that would be my move. This year the secondary and OLBs can be found all the way to the 3rd round.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-line is priority, but if no one is available, then I would look for a LB, not just an outside LB, but if a Ray Lewis type of inside is available with our 23rd pick that would be my move. This year the secondary and OLBs can be found all the way to the 3rd round.

The ILB class this year is extremely weak. Rolando Mcclain is first round talent but I have major questions about him that remain an eyesore. Spikes is not bad but he didn't do as well as expected in the combine. I think we are alright with our current ILB situation but OLB should be taken first and foremost.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
The ILB class this year is extremely weak. Rolando Mcclain is first round talent but I have major questions about him that remain an eyesore. Spikes is not bad but he didn't do as well as expected in the combine. I think we are alright with our current ILB situation but OLB should be taken first and foremost.
Just read that McClain today came out and said he has Chrone's Disease or something. I don't really know what it is, but I don't think it's good.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read that McClain today came out and said he has Chrone's Disease or something. I don't really know what it is, but I don't think it's good.

Crohns Disease involves muscle weakness and temporary arthritis due to an abnormal immune system affecting the GI tract. David Garrard has this disease and it hasn't affected him much. Don't know about Mcclain though.

a.dumitru11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not our most pressing need but it is something we will need to address in this years and next years draft as woodson has only 2 maybe 3 top tier cornerback years ahead of him..and harris coming off major knee surgery and already being over 30 is def a concern so expectations cant be too high...
as well all know our o-line is our most important need and we need to address now cuz clif and tausch are not going to be around for too long...
a suggestion maybe somewhere we need to improve is at the SS postion where i am not too confident in bigby...he reminds me of roy williams a player who goes for big hits and doesnt really have a nose for the balll...we need a player to compliment nick collins
what are your guys thoughts?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not our most pressing need but it is something we will need to address in this years and next years draft as woodson has only 2 maybe 3 top tier cornerback years ahead of him..and harris coming off major knee surgery and already being over 30 is def a concern so expectations cant be too high...
as well all know our o-line is our most important need and we need to address now cuz clif and tausch are not going to be around for too long...
a suggestion maybe somewhere we need to improve is at the SS postion where i am not too confident in bigby...he reminds me of roy williams a player who goes for big hits and doesnt really have a nose for the balll...we need a player to compliment nick collins
I agree with you completely.

And not only that we need future replacements for Woodson and Harris (Tramon Williams might be one), we desperately need dime and nickel CBs.

Last year, when we played teams that would spread the field, we got absolutely burned.

Yes, Pat Lee, Al Harris and Will Blackmon went down, but we don't know how much Pat Lee can contribute, we don't know how much Al Harris will be able to contribute, and Will Blackmon was only slightly better than Bell/Bush/Underwood...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually looking forward to Underwood in year 2 of this defense. Coming out of college, his instincts were the main strengths and this is probably why we drafted him. Give the kid some time to learn the playbook and a full offseason and we should get to see some improvement. IF not then I'm always open to the option of signing someone new.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually looking forward to Underwood in year 2 of this defense. Coming out of college, his instincts were the main strengths and this is probably why we drafted him. Give the kid some time to learn the playbook and a full offseason and we should get to see some improvement. IF not then I'm always open to the option of signing someone new.
I actually think Pat Lee will play well this season. And yeah, underwood was better week 17 than he was week 1.

But can we COUNT on them? I don't think so.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know if there is a thread on this elsewhere, if so, I apologize.

I feel our most pressing need is O-line. However, we will need held in the D backfield. Short term solution could be to re-sign Sharper, for 1-2 years at less than $5mil/year.

Comments/thoughts?:viksux:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts