So, these concussions can't be good for Rodgers...

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Turf caused the concussion. It was clear as day to me. The defender that came in didn't spear the side of Rodgers' helmet or anything, it just drove him into the ground and unfortunately his head and the turf met in a rough way.

I agree- his head whacks the turf harder than anything from the player-to-player contact.

I also didn't see the contact as cheap or illegal. Looked ok to me. Just an unfortunate landing on Rodgers part.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree- his head whacks the turf harder than anything from the player-to-player contact.

I also didn't see the contact as cheap or illegal. Looked ok to me. Just an unfortunate landing on Rodgers part.

Agreed. The concrete under the turf doesn't give too much.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This wont get fined but suhs push on cutler does. wtf. oh and dont get me started on the strength coach for the jets that tripped the dolphin player. Be a man, stick your foot out when your playing the ravens and see ray lewis running by. Sh*t even steve smith for the panthers, cause I know he would have got up and andre johnsoned his *ss

That guy on the sidelines made me madder than hell. I wonder if that guy got fined or fired?

Who thinks it was the the act of his helmet being hit by another helmet?

Or by his bouncing off the turf like a ping pong that cause the concussion..

I have looked at it about 100 x's but still is obvious to me that its the turf..

The turf caused it. The other player didn't hit him on the head.

This brings up a question. When a QB steps out of the pocket and runs with the ball, as Aaron did, does the defense still treat him like a QB with all applicable rules or is he just like other players and therefore fair game? Currently, Andy Reid, head coach of the Eagles is pitching a hissy fit because he thinks people are taking cheap shots at Vick and they are going uncalled. If anyone was watching SNF last night, did you see the play where Vick was running down the sideline and one of the Cowboys players pushed him off the sideline and right into the Eagles bench? Andy Reid was as mad as I've ever seen him. No flag. Later in the game a flag was called on a helmet to helmet hit on Vick (actually there were 2 helmet to helmet hits on the same play).

Andy Reid is trying to make the case that even if the QB leaves the pocket and runs, he is still the QB and you can't hit him, treat him like a RB or such. If that were so, those rules would also apply to Aaron and any other QB. I can't blame Andy for trying to protect Vick, without him the Eagles would be done. But so might the Packers without Aaron. I'm not sure I buy into this. Think of it from the defense's perspective. If I were on D and I saw that QB running, I'd lay the homie out.

Do you cats think Andy is just belly aching because he wants to preserve his playoff and possible SB hopes or does he have a case here?

I realize this may be a bit off topic, but I didn't see the need to start up a new thread. It's also relevant because hitting QBs when they are out of the pocket can result in injury, as it did to Aaron.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
That guy on the sidelines made me madder than hell. I wonder if that guy got fined or fired?

The turf caused it. The other player didn't hit him on the head.

This brings up a question. When a QB steps out of the pocket and runs with the ball, as Aaron did, does the defense still treat him like a QB with all applicable rules or is he just like other players and therefore fair game? Currently, Andy Reid, head coach of the Eagles is pitching a hissy fit because he thinks people are taking cheap shots at Vick and they are going uncalled. If anyone was watching SNF last night, did you see the play where Vick was running down the sideline and one of the Cowboys players pushed him off the sideline and right into the Eagles bench? Andy Reid was as mad as I've ever seen him. No flag. Later in the game a flag was called on a helmet to helmet hit on Vick (actually there were 2 helmet to helmet hits on the same play).

Andy Reid is trying to make the case that even if the QB leaves the pocket and runs, he is still the QB and you can't hit him, treat him like a RB or such. If that were so, those rules would also apply to Aaron and any other QB. I can't blame Andy for trying to protect Vick, without him the Eagles would be done. But so might the Packers without Aaron. I'm not sure I buy into this. Think of it from the defense's perspective. If I were on D and I saw that QB running, I'd lay the homie out.

Do you cats think Andy is just belly aching because he wants to preserve his playoff and possible SB hopes or does he have a case here?

I realize this may be a bit off topic, but I didn't see the need to start up a new thread. It's also relevant because hitting QBs when they are out of the pocket can result in injury, as it did to Aaron.
Of course you can hit him if he runs. The problem comes when the QB is being treated special by the defense because they want to injure him. If a QB slides, just touch him, no need to drop a shoulder or fall on him, or hit him. If he's going out of bounds, no need to push him or tackle him, just make sure he goes out of bounds. We all know the defense targets the QB and there's nothing anyone can do about that, but when it's really obvious, it falls on the refs. For a QB like Tom Brady? If he's even looked at funny, you see flags flying. Rodgers? You have to break his rib cage to even give the refs reason.

I'm not trying to use the refs as an excuse for any of our losses, I'm trying to blame them for future damage to our franchise QB. Yes, Rodgers needs to learn to slide before he gets himself hurt, but the refs need to learn to treat him and every other QB in the league the same.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course you can hit him if he runs. The problem comes when the QB is being treated special by the defense because they want to injure him. If a QB slides, just touch him, no need to drop a shoulder or fall on him, or hit him. If he's going out of bounds, no need to push him or tackle him, just make sure he goes out of bounds. We all know the defense targets the QB and there's nothing anyone can do about that, but when it's really obvious, it falls on the refs. For a QB like Tom Brady? If he's even looked at funny, you see flags flying. Rodgers? You have to break his rib cage to even give the refs reason.

I'm not trying to use the refs as an excuse for any of our losses, I'm trying to blame them for future damage to our franchise QB. Yes, Rodgers needs to learn to slide before he gets himself hurt, but the refs need to learn to treat him and every other QB in the league the same.

I agree with this answer completely. This is what I was thinking, I also wanted to see if anyone thought differently and their supportive reasoning behind it. The rules change when a QB steps out of the "protective" pocket.

I also agree the refs favor certain QB's. You can't get within a pinkies distance of of Brady, Cutler or Peyton without every ref on the field throwing a flag. Meanwhile Aaron and Vick too for that matter (Andy does have a case on that point) continue to take hits that would have the defensive player crucified if he did it to any of the above mentioned precious QBs. It's not fair. Sure Aaron can help matters by sliding like he has been doing with much success instead of running right at a player.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really... love the pack. love Aaron Rodgers. But if he's gonna run out of the pocket, one of the coaches/or players has to give him some tips to stay healthy. This is irrespective of him sliding. If he's not gonna slide, all he has to do is shrug his shoulders, and that concussion doesn't happen. He's gonna pull crap like that and lay out on the floor like he's falling on a water bed. Now his health is in jeopardy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really... love the pack. love Aaron Rodgers. But if he's gonna run out of the pocket, one of the coaches/or players has to give him some tips to stay healthy. This is irrespective of him sliding. If he's not gonna slide, all he has to do is shrug his shoulders, and that concussion doesn't happen. He's gonna pull crap like that and lay out on the floor like he's falling on a water bed. Now his health is in jeopardy.
He has the tips. He should've slid.

I really think this play was due to the offense's lack of anything. We weren't getting ANY yards at all. So, in his mind, every yard counted.

But he should've slid.

Won't blame a guy that injuries himself trying to make something out of nothing because his team and coaching are so innept. Will never do that.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if the QB leaves the pocket and takes off running, he is now a RB/WR/TE, treat him as such. If he slides, you touch him, if he dives, like Rodgers did, you pound him. I have to look at it objectively, and if it was Cutler who was scrambling out of the pocket, or Favre, and he dove head first I would want the defender to take his head off... Just the way I feel.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Aaron's concussion got me thinking about the time our other QB had a concussion...

Favre sustained a concussion when defensive lineman William Joseph knocked him to the ground in the third quarter and missed the next two plays. Favre went back in on fourth-and-5, waved backup Doug Pederson to the sideline and floated a 28-yard touchdown pass to Javon Walker for a 7-0 lead."I wasn't surprised that he came back in and threw a touchdown pass like he did," Strahan said.The Packers' medical staff sure was -- they hadn't cleared Favre to return to action.Sherman said he turned to Favre and asked if he was OK. Favre said yes, so in he went."The doctors told me after that they didn't want him back in the ballgame," Sherman said.So, Favre was done for the day.
New York Giants vs. Green Bay Packers - Recap - October 03, 2004 - ESPN

:icon_lol: Anybody else remember that? I sure do. I think we lost that game, though.