1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

So, Kampman didn't play today...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackersRS, Nov 15, 2009.

1. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    And we generated a very good pass rush, and almost shut out the 3rd best O in the league... After 2 games of 38 points... Just saying.

I like the guy, but it's clear to me he wasn't playing with passion. And I don't buy that "he just can't play in space" crap. He played a lot with his hands down since week 5. He's just not playing well. We're better off with Jones, who although isn't great, at least allow more variety for Capers.

I really hope Kampman can be that great motor guy we are used to see... But IMO he needs to regain his titularity, as opposed to play on the name.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    Well lets see what they do vs the Niners

Kamp should be okay then, I think Brad DESERVES a chance to play a lot next week

3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Talk about a 7th round rookie comming to play his first NFL snap against one of the best teams in the NFC, in a huge pressure game, and delivering...

At least play Brad 40% of the time.

4. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I won't give up on kampman just yet. From watching the games he DID play, I think kampman did enough to generate an adequete pass rush. Also you have to remember that this is a completely different packers team. They were laying with a lot more passion and heart. the best way to utilize both kamp and jones would be to use kamp for the rush and sub in jones for coverage.

5. c_mac

c_mac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    I really don't get why you keep questioning the man's passion to play football. Clearly, he isn't suited to play a 3-4 LB. What makes you think all of the sudden he decided not to play hard anymore? How would that benefit him in anyway to go out on the field not looking to play hard. Seriously, WTF dude?

6. bad93ex

bad93ex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    They generated a good pass rush but the Pokes had 2nd and 3rd string guys on the offensive line. Also did it seem like they (cowboys) just had no desire to play football today whereas the Packers had as much fire as I have seen since preseason?

Roy Williams is a gd bum.

7. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Did I not tell you guys Green Bay would win this game? If for no other reason, it gives Mac and TT a stay of execution, if only in the minds of Packers' fans.

I see no reason the Packers won't have a winning season, and possibly playoffs. I'm telling you guys TT and Mac are going to have more lives than a cat before it's all said and done.

8. bad93ex

bad93ex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    It will only delay the inevitable but those were my immediate thoughts after the game as to how this will keep them both around.

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    He's a proven player. Play well or bad this year won't affect him much.

I'm not saying he doesn't want to play, or doesn't have the passion. Well, if I said that, I take it back.

What I mean is that Kampman was allways know for having MORE intensity than everybody else, and because of that, wreacking havoc.

I'm not seeing him do this. I saw a lot of plays in which he just gave up. I just think he really didn't like the transition, and is still bothered by it, even if subconsciously...

10. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    You can't do that in my opinion. Why it worked so well today is the offense never new where the presure was coming, because Jones is very athletic and can play in space. When kampman is in there, the offense knows he is going to rush the passer and if Kampman does not they throw to his side, that what teams have been doing on us all season. Kind of like their get out of jail free card.

Jones is probably no probowler, not even all that good, but he can play all phases of the game, Kampman has a glaring weakness and his presence on the field makes our whole defense predictable (more so) at times.

Really the only place we should be playing Kampman is on the line, he can't start, Jenkins and Jolly are playing great, just giving them breathers. Then you factor in Raji who is fighting for reps.

Bottom line do not fix something thats not broken. To start Kampman would be a mistake against the 49ers. I would go as far as starting Jones and leaving him in the whole game.

11. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I am not saying the Brad Jones is an up and coming probowler, he may not even rate in the top 20 at his position, but he can play all phases of the game well. Kampman can not cover in the pass defense and looks lost at times trying to cover a back or tight end. No question against the run and pass rush Kampman is far superior to Jones, but Jones is very athletic and can play the open field pass defense much better and is adequate against the run and pass rush, not amazing, but got the job done against Dallas.

I wonder if Capers was able to blitz from more positions at different times because he new Jones could drop back and cover. In the past we looked so predictable with our 3 down lineman and usually no secrets rushing Kampman, even putting his had on the ground. With Jones in there you never new who was going after the QB. Just look at the results against a very good offense.

Jones held is own against the run and was not a liability. Capers was able to blitz the QB from many different positions because both Clay Mathews and Jones can drop back in pass defense. Even Hawk and Barnett got good pressure and sacks on Romo up the middle while Mathews and Jones dropped back in pass protection, something Kampman can't.

This looked like a true 3-4 defense today and I wonder if its because this is first time we had 2 true outside LBs playing who can play in open space.

I don't see where we can play Kampman, except on the line, but Jolly and Jenkins are playing so well, and we already have Raji fighting for reps already.

Do not fix something thats not broken, I would hate to see Kampman start against the 49ers. Keep starting the same guys that pretty much shut out the Dallas Cowboys. I think Kampman is a great player, just does not fit the 3-4

12. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Speaking of Pro Bowlers. Cullen Jenkins and Charles Woodson should be Shoo-Ins for the Pro Bowl.

Clay Mathews should have concideration for Rookie of the Year.

13. AzPackerfan

AzPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The defense kept us in this game today! Big props to them! Woodson was phenomenal. If it means Kampman sits on the sideline to get this kind of defensive output, sit him down and use him for trade bait...

14. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    I think the big difference to me was that it seemed like Capers finally stopped playing scared. He got aggressive and it paid off in a big way. Blitzes coming from everywhere, Matthews and Woodson making plays all over the field, it needs to be like this every week. Especially since after the Lions we come into the toughest part of our schedule.

15. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    You can only blitz QB's that get rattled by the blitz or aren't good at detecting the blitz, like a Romo.

You blitz a Favre, and you suddenly find yourself no longer blitzing.

16. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    True, but if Favre is carving you up while you're playing conservative, why not try blitzing? At the very worst, he's still carving you up and you can say to yourself "okay, nothing is going to work".

17. Ted's Zombie Army

Ted's Zombie Army Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Kampman also draws a lot of attention from offenses because he has been effective in the past. The Cowboys probably didn't have much of a book on Jones' weak points because they hadn't seen him in this scheme. Look for the Ravens to be much better prepared for what Brad can do. Remember too, that the NFL is a young man's game. Kamp might just be too old now to be effective in this defense because that outside guy HAS to play in space.

18. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    I totally agree with this.

We seemed a lot more balanced on defense because we were playing with a TRUE LOLB to compliment Matthews on the other side.

I say Jones should start next week against the 49ers, no doubt about it. He deserves it.

19. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    It's been proven time and again that NOT blitzing Favre is far more effective than blitzing him - unless you have the type of scheme like a Pittsburgh that wreaks havoc on opposing QB's thought processes - and even then, you take your chances.

Again, the NFL is all about match-ups and some teams matching up better than others. Dallas and Romo are an example of a good match-up for the Green Bay defense in terms of blitzing. The play by Woodson was vintage for what capers was trying to do. Barnett got a bit lucky on his because he rarely ever reaches the QB without getting blown-up.

We'll see how The Dom chooses to handle San Fran.

20. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Hmmm...seems like something I said last week about Kampman being hurt could prove to be a blessing in disguise as it will allow us to see what a true 3-4 LB can do.

However, it was really only ONE game against an offense our defense matches up with better than other solid offenses.

21. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I truly believe that Barnett had as good a day on those sacks because both Hawk and Barnett rushed the QB at the same time. The only reason Capers felt comfortable in doing so was the fact he had both Jones and Mathews dropping back in pass coverage. Both of our outside LBs where able to cover long enough for Barnett, with the help of Hawk, get to Romo.

When Kampman is in there, its a whole different story.

But you are right, time will tell, its only one game. But what a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Yes - great game. It was a hoot watching at the local watering hole because everybody was still on edge when there was only 4 minutes remaining and we had a 17 point lead. I was telling everybody to sit back and relax - your eyes don't lie.

My, how times have changed!!!

23. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Like I said before, if Kampman is healthy to play again he should only do so if his position requires him to blitz. Jones should come into the game if the defense is covering on that side. It's not that Kampman is too old to play this game and age is wearing him down but the fact that obviously he needs time to learn how to play in the open. But with a rookie who did pretty decent in his first start vs. a 29 year old veteran who is in his contract year, who do you think has the better future on this team?

24. cheeseheeeaaad

cheeseheeeaaad Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  25. cheeseheeeaaad

cheeseheeeaaad Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0