Snacks now a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thought I heard last night that all 5 were former 1st round picks?

Yep, that's right. Matthews, Lindstrom, and McGary were all their own 1st rounders, and Carpenter and Mack were 1st rounders of the Seahawks and Browns, respectively.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, that's right. Matthews, Lindstrom, and McGary were all their own 1st rounders, and Carpenter and Mack were 1st rounders of the Seahawks and Browns, respectively.

Bet they'd trade 3 of them for our 4th rounder Bahktiari. Shows you the draft is a crap shoot. Aaron Jones, 5th rounder. You just never know.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
having seen that snacks Harrison wasn't interested in playing in Green Bay because he didn't want to play in the cold with his knees. Now yesterday, I read where if he doesn't sign with Seattle then he'll be visiting Green Bay this week.

4-0 with the #1 QB in the league suddenly makes Wisconsin winters a little warmer?

D

Deleted member 6794

His signing now would undoubtedly be a one year thing, not influencing any ability to resign others I'd suspect.

With teams being allowed to roll over cap space into next year every dollar spend this season influences the ability to sign players next offseason.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's not be naïve here either. Players often book multiple visits to compel the first team to sign them. Visit to Seattle with nothing else planned. Seattle can take its time and give a team-friendly offer. Visit to Seattle followed by a visit to Green Bay, now the Seahawks have to tender an offer to keep him from going to the Packers. Leverage is a part of this when agents are involved.

I would be okay with the signing, but the Packers have a lot of free agents to pay. Every dollar counts, even when we are talking hundreds of millions.
Which makes me wonder about all the guys we’ve had inactive the past couple of weeks. I wonder if Russ Ball had game day active clauses in those contracts?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With teams being allowed to roll over cap space into next year every dollar spend this season influences the ability to sign players next offseason.

True, but perhaps I didn't go far enough on my comment. I merely meant I don't expect his contract to not only be longer than this season, but I also don't expect it to be large enough to be of much concern.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh well, forget about Snacks. visit to Green Bay has been canceled, he has signed with the Seahawks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh well, forget about Snacks. visit to Green Bay has been canceled, he has signed with the Seahawks.

Will be intrigued at what he got. Guess we pray Lancaster keeps progressing, ATL was his best game this year IMO. Keke has shows lots of progress...but still not a lot of confidence there quite yet position wise for me.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd kind of soured on him, tbh. I don't know much about him personally, but not signing with us earlier and then sitting around waiting for teams to emerge as front runners before deciding to play again does not impress me. That seems like lazy mercenary stuff, but maybe I just don't know his whole story.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd kind of soured on him, tbh. I don't know much about him personally, but not signing with us earlier and then sitting around waiting for teams to emerge as front runners before deciding to play again does not impress me. That seems like lazy mercenary stuff, but maybe I just don't know his whole story.

A veteran at his stage, in this crazy times of 2020...I'd have done the exact same thing. There is no one out there in FA that offers still what he does. The chips were held vastly more on his side of the table than teams...at least IMO

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's on the Seahawks practice squad... That just sounds odd to me. I'm sure we offered him a spot on our roster. I guess we could always sign him off their PS.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's on the Seahawks practice squad... That just sounds odd to me. I'm sure we offered him a spot on our roster. I guess we could always sign him off their PS.

I'm sure he'll be activated to roster as soon as some movement and pieces shift on their part. Probably discussed already with him and is why he is signing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like others said, he's probably just working into shape for a bit. and most PS players are looking for a chance to play, so if you offer to sign them, most will take the active roster spot and more money. But I don't think they're required to.

Considering nobody signed Snacks before, nobody is going to come along with a better offer and if he wanted to hear GB's he would have kept a visit. Truth be told, if he doesn't want to be here, I don't want him here.

We don't have much depth, but I think Lancaster has been playing pretty well lately and Keke is showing the growth I expected. get clark back and I think we're better. i hope martin can come back and play in the middle, i had big hopes for him out of the draft, but I don't need to see summers miss any more tackles.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I don't think we offered him anything? He was in for a visit in July and reportedly was coming back today for another visit, if things didn't pan out in Seattle.

I'm not that disappointed, unless for some odd reason the Seahawks signed him for around vet min. If he had to be signed to the PS because he isn't in football shape, that is a red flag to me. If they just want to get him up to speed and not burn a roster spot just yet, I get it. Possibly he had to first be signed to the PS to clear COVID protocal.

He has been a FA this long with the ability to choose who he wants to play for, I doubt Seattle is worried that he will be poached off their PS by another team, since that requires his approval. Plus, this season, a team can protect up to 4 players on their PS from being poached, they may have put that protection on him.

Reminds me a bit of the Wilkerson signing. High profile guy, people hoping he plays like he did years ago and probably ends up just being another expensive fart in the wind. Hoping he ends up just snacking on the Seahawks bank account.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not be naïve here either. Players often book multiple visits to compel the first team to sign them. Visit to Seattle with nothing else planned. Seattle can take its time and give a team-friendly offer. Visit to Seattle followed by a visit to Green Bay, now the Seahawks have to tender an offer to keep him from going to the Packers. Leverage is a part of this when agents are involved.
Yup....I quoted myself. I didn't see anything against it in the forum rules! :tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

Which makes me wonder about all the guys we’ve had inactive the past couple of weeks. I wonder if Russ Ball had game day active clauses in those contracts?

I don't think the CBA allows for such clauses. Players not active on game day don't earn their per game roster bonus though.

The Seahawks signing Harrison to the practice squad is actually a smart move by them. As teams are allowed to elevate two players from it to the game day roster they don't need to release another players to make room for him at this point.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the CBA allows for such clauses. Players not active on game day don't earn their per game roster bonus.
I think you’re right. I think I had seen references in years before where guys got a roster bonus of a certain amount per game active. I worded the previous post incorrectly.

edit:are the terms LTBE and UTBE bonuses still used in contracts? Haven’t heard anything about them.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't all that excited about Harrison in the first place so him signing with the Seahawks doesn't faze me much. Someone can toss this quote back at me though if he sacks Rodgers a few times in two weeks!

D

Deleted member 6794

edit:are the terms LTBE and UTBE bonuses still used in contracts? Haven’t heard anything about them.

The CBA still makes a difference between likely and unlikely to be earned incentives. While teams can circumvent the cap a bit before the start of the season using UTBE bonuses they need to have the cap space available at some point if a player hits those targets.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The CBA still makes a difference between likely and unlikely to be earned incentives. While teams can circumvent the cap a bit before the start of the season using UTBE bonuses they need to have the cap space available at some point if a player hits those targets.
Thanks Capt. I have not studied the most current CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts