Small ILB Recap & Conclusions

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If ragland slips... Do we make a move up to snag him?
It would be nice to have a LB who is just as big and physical as the gronks of the NFL...

D

Deleted member 6794

If ragland slips... Do we make a move up to snag him?
It would be nice to have a LB who is just as big and physical as the gronks of the NFL...

I think that if Ragland slips past the Falcons and Bills there aren't any teams picking ahead of the Packers in dire need of an inside linebacker so trading up a few spots might not be needed. Trading up into the top 15 would be too costly.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we do make any trades, it'll be to trade back, not up. This is beginning to look like one of those drafts where TT keeps trading back accumulating draft picks. We have a lot of FA's next season, so perhaps TT's mindset is to trade back once or twice and pick up some extra 3rd and 4th rounders or something.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As much as I like Jaylon Smith and his potential, TT kind of boxed himself into a corner on this by not doing anything in the FA market in regards to ILB, short or long term. Everything you read by "experts" say one of the Packers biggest needs is at ILB. Maybe TT doesn't agree? If you are confident in Barrington and Ryan, then this doesn't matter. But if you aren't confident in our current situation at ILB for 2016 where do we go? Only draft one potentially top notch ILB in Smith for the future? What do you do at the position for 2016? What do you do if Jaylon Smith becomes the next Marcus Lattimore? That scenario potentially leaves us with the same scenario we have seen for too many years, weak ILB play from starters and poor depth.

I would be fine with Jaylon Smith being drafted, but then TT better have his eye on an older vet FA or player that stands to be cut. As well as at least one more mid level pick at ILB for depth. Otherwise the Packers are not only weak once again at ILB, they are dangerously thin. Personally, I hope they can get Ragland and then if Smith happens to still be on the board after the second round, take him, ILB issues hopefully solved.

If Ragland isn't available, we still need depth at ILB. So I guess you take your chances on another ILB with 1 or 2 of your next 5 picks, one of them possibly being Jaylon Smith?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If you are confident in Barrington and Ryan, then this doesn't matter.

Even if you're fine with Barrington and Ryan being the starters (which I have a hard time understanding, especially with one of them coming back from a season ending foot injury) there is absolutely no way anyone should be confident with Thomas and Bradford currently being the only backups on the roster.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that if Ragland slips past the Falcons and Bills there aren't any teams picking ahead of the Packers in dire need of an inside linebacker so trading up a few spots might not be needed. Trading up into the top 15 would be too costly.
Bills lost Mario Williams. Im guessing they go Dline. Falcons sent White to the glue factory, so a top WR could be their desire. Or Oline, because their sucks.

Im still not convinced a player like ragland will slip that far, even if other team needs factor in our favor. Throwing a 3rd on the table to move up a few spots, to guarantee we get him (if he slips).... I feel that strongly about a good ILB being exactly what our defense needs to open up the gates of hell on opposing offenses. Allow our OLBs and secondary to do THEIR job, instead of compensating...Thats besides good ILB play...

If he slips, I would go get him (within reason). I hate the trade value chart for moving up. But i really want Ragland in green and gold.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I don't want it to happen, I have a feeling we might draft Darron Lee out of Ohio State at 27 if hes there and Ragland isn't. Lee's stock has been dropping for a reason. I just hope we aren't the ones to draft him. I'd rather take Billings, Coleman or someone else (or even trade back) at that point. We'll have some ILB options in rounds 2 and 3 for sure too.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bills lost Mario Williams. Im guessing they go Dline. Falcons sent White to the glue factory, so a top WR could be their desire. Or Oline, because their sucks.

Im still not convinced a player like ragland will slip that far, even if other team needs factor in our favor. Throwing a 3rd on the table to move up a few spots, to guarantee we get him (if he slips).... I feel that strongly about a good ILB being exactly what our defense needs to open up the gates of hell on opposing offenses. Allow our OLBs and secondary to do THEIR job, instead of compensating...Thats besides good ILB play...

If he slips, I would go get him (within reason). I hate the trade value chart for moving up. But i really want Ragland in green and gold.

I agree that Ragland would fit one of the Packers biggest needs but giving up a third rounder is a steep price to pay to move up some spots in the first round.

D

Deleted member 6794

We'll have some ILB options in rounds 2 and 3 for sure too.

I agree that I don't want the Packers to draft Darron Lee either. While there will be some options at inside linebacker on the second day of the draft none of these guys seems capable of playing all three downs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would trade our #1 and our #3 with anyone at pick 20 or better to secure Ragland. I think Ragland will come off the board at #17 or shortly after.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt the Packers are going to make a pick or 2 at ILB this year. I hope it's not Lee, because if we do, it means we had to spend too high of a pick to get him. I don't believe the hype. I will not be surprised if ILB isn't chosen in the 1st or 2nd round either.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would trade our #1 and our #3 with anyone at pick 20 or better to secure Ragland. I think Ragland will come off the board at #17 or shortly after.

Trading our third rounder would most likely be enough to move up to the 20th spot. As I've said before after the Bills at #19 I don't see any team in desperate need of an inside linebacker being on the clock before the Packers.

While a third rounder might not sound like a lot to give up you have to realize that with Thompson's reluctancy to use free agency this pick is the third best chance for the Packers to acquire an impact player.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will not be surprised if ILB isn't chosen in the 1st or 2nd round either.

With Thompson not having spent an early round pick over the last few years on the position nobody should be surprised if he doesn't draft an inside linebacker within the first two rounds.

Taking a look at the depth chart it would be extremely hard to understand though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Trading our third rounder would most likely be enough to move up to the 20th spot. As I've said before after the Bills at #19 I don't see any team in desperate need of an inside linebacker being on the clock before the Packers.

While a third rounder might not sound like a lot to give up you have to realize that with Thompson's reluctancy to use free agency this pick is the third best chance for the Packers to acquire an impact player.

Oh Teddy would have to be 100% Clay Matthews sure, to trade up to get Ragland, no doubt.

Agree with you though on timing...appears Atlanta (17), Indy (18) and Buffalo (19) could be our biggest competition for Ragland. Which probably means that one of them would opt to take Ragland before trading picks with the Packers. Lions at 16 wouldn't trade, no matter what we offered and anything lower then that would be too steep.

So, you may be right Captain, if Ragland is to be drafted by the Packers and he makes it past the Bills, no trades needed to let him slide to #27.

Of course, this takes into account a wind speed of exactly 3 mph from the NE, partly sunny skies and lucky socks.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, luckily, the middle of the first round is where a lot of people (myself included) think a run at DL will be made. This draft is extremely deep at the DL position. So perhaps Ragland slips through the cracks midst the DL chaos that will surely happen. Plus I think a lot of GM's think the middle of round 1 might be a bit too high to take Ragland. Then you have the BPA style teams who will most likely have certain DL rated ahead of Ragland too. Lots of variables here.

In short, there is a decent chance Ragland will be there when we pick. I say its 50/50.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a run on QB, CB and OT.....that should leave enough top DL's to fight over and when the smoke clears...."With the 27th Pick in the NFL 2016 Draft, the Green Bay Packers select Reggie Ragland, Linebacker Alabama."

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the Dolphins have more pressing needs at other positions.
Agreed and I don't see Ragland going quite that early. The Raiders are going to be tempted at #14, but I'm keeping my eye on what the Falcons, Bills and Jets do.

Sounds like some teams are a bit concerned with Myles Jack's injury, will be interesting to see if he drops enough to effect where Ragland goes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed and I don't see Ragland going quite that early. The Raiders are going to be tempted at #14, but I'm keeping my eye on what the Falcons, Bills and Jets do.

Sounds like some teams are a bit concerned with Myles Jack's injury, will be interesting to see if he drops enough to effect where Ragland goes.

I think the Falcons and Jets are the teams to most likely select an inside linebacker in the first round. I don't see Myles Jack dropping a lot because of concerns about his injury.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Falcons and Jets are the teams to most likely select an inside linebacker in the first round. I don't see Myles Jack dropping a lot because of concerns about his injury.
Myles jack was suposed to gomuch earlier than is, so i havnt spent any time researching. Is he going to be a ilb for us? And do you know what his injury is all about? Whats your thoughts on him as a packer? Compared to ragland, whats his value to us?

D

Deleted member 6794

Myles jack was suposed to gomuch earlier than is, so i havnt spent any time researching. Is he going to be a ilb for us? And do you know what his injury is all about? Whats your thoughts on him as a packer? Compared to ragland, whats his value to us?

Myles Jack would for sure play inside linebacker in Capers scheme. He's the best prospect in coverage among all LB prospect in this year's draft.

He suffered a torn anterior meniscus in September. And while it seems several teams are concerned about his injury I don't think he will drop anywhere close to the Packers pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Myles Jack would for sure play inside linebacker in Capers scheme. He's the best prospect in coverage among all LB prospect in this year's draft.

He suffered a torn anterior meniscus in September. And while it seems several teams are concerned about his injury I don't think he will drop anywhere close to the Packers pick.

I totally agree, Myles injury isn't Jaylon Smith like, but if by some miracle he and Ragland stay on the board until after the 15th pick, I like our chances of seeing Ragland still there at #27. All a guessing game, for all we know both will be gone well before #20. I hope teams ahead of us value Lee higher. I definitely think there is going to be a surprise pick or two at QB in the first round, a run at WR's right before our pick and if enough teams grab OT's and DB's....the stars might align over Jupiter and Ragland is in GB.

Members online

Latest posts