Slow my roll: Davante Adams reminds me of....

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying he will put up numbers like Sterling did. Nobody will.
Sterling was right there neck & neck with Jerry Rice for his first 6 years, before the BS neck issue that also has taken away Nick Collins, Terrance Murphy, Jermichael Finley, Tim Lewis, Johnny Jolly, apparently.

I know Sterling was a Packer before a lot of y'all were born so this goes past you.

I watched Sterling when he was a Gamecock at South Carolina. I loved that guy. We got him in the same draft as the Cows took Michael Irvin, and the Raidaz took Tim Brown. Sterling was the 3rd off the board, and I believed the best of the trio. His numbers when each was playing were clearly superior.

Anyway, watching Davante Adams now for two games, his size, strength, and style really remind me of Sterling.
I read comparisons to James Jones and Michael Crabtree when Adams was about to be drafted.

I see Sterling.
Anyone else old enough to remember clearly, do you see Sterling?
Watch that catch on the 2-pt conversion from yesterday.

We still haven't seen a lot of Davante yet, and won't probably, for awhile as we're loaded with the reliable Boykin, and Jordy & Cobb, plus WL2.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharpe was the best on bad teams, and had impressive stats for a short career. But I seem to remember that there weren't too many players unhappy about his retirement. He supposedly was a selfish player that caused as much trouble as good. If all of that is true, then I hope Adams has Sharpe's physical abilities with a better attitude.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharpe along with Lofton were two of GB's greatest all-time receivers in my book. Sterling was totally unstoppable as a receiver. Built like a RB he was the true physical receiver and had more receptions in his first 3 years in the league then any other receiver in NFL history including Jerry Rice.
Sorry when he was injured because he was a better receiver then his brother Shannon was a TE who is now in the Hall of Fame.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, we should be so lucky. I can't imagine anyone doing what SS did the way he did it. There are plenty of WRs who are dominant with speed or quickness or smooth route running, but he showed that you can bring muscle to the job and own every pro CB in the league. Amazing. It'd be nice to see him against some of the big corners nowadays.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Sterling in person a number of times at Lambeau Field.
Once against Shannon Sharpe and John Elway.

Sterling was clearly the superior player, nobody could even think about disputing that.

He was almost uncoverable.

I don't have any idea how GOOD Davante can and will be. A lot depends on health. And when Sterling was here he was the main guy so much. Got all the targets almost.

Adams is the opposite as there are a plethora of targets.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He supposedly was a selfish player that caused as much trouble as good.
I don't remember that except for his one day hold-out the day before the regular season opener. Favre got all prickly about it. Sterling was the only good receiver for Green Bay, so from that perspective he got a lot of passes and expected the ball. His real knack was for yards after the catch, since he was so strong. The guy talked a lot too, which rubs people the wrong way. When his neck injury finally forced his retirement, the Packers were finally fielding a good group of WRs to take his place. I remembered thinking at the time that losing Sharpe would let other players blossom, and it did. Favre all of a sudden stopped looking for Sterling and became widely praised for hitting double digit WRs during each game. Robert Brooks emerged, Terry Mickens and Bill Shroeder played a role, Ed West had one of his best seasons, and Chmura also came of age.

Sad as it is to say, I've always felt that the loss of Sharpe opened up the Green Bay offense to be more diverse.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asked this question, I didnt want to say Boldin. But maybe a 21 year old Boldin would be more of what I was thinking of. But when Sterling Sharpe was mentioned... I agree, he is Sharpe-esque.

Adams is 6'1" 215" as a 21 year old rookie...... a beast.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asked this question, I didnt want to say Boldin. But maybe a 21 year old Boldin would be more of what I was thinking of. But when Sterling Sharpe was mentioned... I agree, he is Sharpe-esque.

Adams is 6'1" 215" as a 21 year old rookie...... a beast.
Boldin is a good comp too. Boldin is tough as nails. Strong man.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can think of reading this thread is...

Favre drops back, Sharpe is streaking down the field, Favre keeps back pedaling, what the hell? Why Won't Favre throw the ball??!?!?!?!? Finally backed up against his goal line, Favre throws ball, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 40, 30, 20, 15, 10, Sharpe catches it at the 5!!!! TD!!!! Its a 90 yard in the air pass!!!!!

I will never forget you Tecmo Bowl. :)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would actually say Larry Fitzgerald with his body control and ball skills... Now if he's anything like that look out .

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
who knows, maybe in the future they will be talking Rodgers, Lacy, Adams the way they talk about the triplets. Ok fire away with the optimistic icons.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boldin is a good comp too. Boldin is tough as nails. Strong man.
Boldin has slowed down alot in recent years. But when him and Fitz were in Arizona those first 5 or 6 years. Boldin had me say more than once that he becomes a RB after he catches the ball. Boldin grew to 230 and back down, and now he looks like a fullback after the catch LOL!
Adams has me excited. the guy is going to catch ALOT of nickel and dime backs off guard this year. And when he earns his stripes, he will put our WR tallent over the top. Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Lacy... All we need is Finley back, and we have 5 top tier guys for Rodgers to go to... Bostic, Quarless, Rodgers the rooke are good, but Finley was becoming great.

Members online

Latest posts