Should The Offense Start Doing Away With Hard Counts And Do More Quick Play Calling And Quick Snaps?

Which Is Easier?

• Total voters

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen. I have been beating this drum for a long time! Rodgers had a ton of success at getting free plays in the past, so much it was all the media was talking about and I think they even changed the rules because of it, blowing the play dead when the jump occurs and the ball isn't immediately snapped. But the free lunch is over, teams know its coming and for the most part aren't biting anymore.

This has almost become a bad habit for #12 to try and get the free play whenever he can, that he not only burns timeouts, makes his own players flinch, gets a delay of game called.....but I think more importantly, he is putting way too much cognitive effort into it. Feels like he may be ignoring other things that he should be doing during the pre-snap because he is so focused on his trickster hard count.

I don't think the Packer offense needs to always play in the hurry up, but mix it up a bit and use it more. As the OP and others said, there is just as much, if not more value catching the defense running guys on and off the field and THAT free play, then what you get for a guy jumping off sides. Save the hard count tricks for key moments in the game, when you really need 5 yards.
Agreed .... and frankly that hard count might work more often if he actually snapped the ball a little bit quicker once in a while.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Catching the other team with 12 men on the field is always a free play, whereas drawing them offsides sometimes isn't a free play because they blow the play dead for whatever reason.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Catching the other team with 12 men on the field is always a free play, whereas drawing them offsides sometimes isn't a free play because they blow the play dead for whatever reason.
Only if the offense moves because of it or there is contact or the defender clears the blockers.
I think they even changed the rules because of it
If they did you'd be able to cite it from someplace that isn't an opinion page.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mccarthy hasn’t done the best job but Rodgers doesn’t seem very coachable at the moment. The fact that he is passing up gimme 3rd down (short) conversions to wide open guys underneath to instead throw deep downfield for low percentage completion attempts is inexcusable.

Punt
3 and out
Punt
FG
3 and out

That was our second half offense, folks. Once again not sustaining drives, not giving our D a breather, not giving Jones the ball more in the second half.

MM and AR need to figure their **** out. This is not just a MM problem. As talented as Rodgers is, he has developed bad habits and I see no evidence he is coachable - at least not by MM at the moment. Rodgers is still salty about AVP, too, I’m sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers is still salty about AVP, too, I’m sure.

Alex Van Pelt? The guy that hasn't survived a promotion past being a QB coach since 2006? AVP left the Packers on his own to pursue being an OC. He is still just a QB coach in Cincinnati. If Rodgers is letting that handcuff his career, than he needs more therapy than even Danica can provide him. :whistling:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only if the offense moves because of it or there is contact or the defender clears the blockers.
If they did you'd be able to cite it from someplace that isn't an opinion page.
Alex Van Pelt? The guy that hasn't survived a promotion past being a QB coach since 2006? AVP left the Packers on his own to pursue being an OC. He is still just a QB coach in Cincinnati. If Rodgers is letting that handcuff his career, than he needs more therapy than even Danica can provide him. :whistling:
This is written in jest... but may be more true than you meant lol.