Should Green Bay use their first round pick on Derek Barnett?

Should Green Bay use their first round pick on Derek Barnett?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers should draft Barnett if he drops to the 29th pick but I highly doubt he will.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should draft Barnett if he drops to the 29th pick but I highly doubt he will.
I'm with you Captain if by some miracle Barnett falls to 29th, which I'm willing to bet he isn't, then why wouldn't they draft him. Its kind of a stupid question really. Like I said he won't fall past like 20 at the very most, we are better off targeting Jordan Willis in round 2.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd like to see his total numbers before I made that call. If he has a baseline of athleticism and just gets leapt by more outstanding testers, then yeah. If he is a Jarvis Jones, then no. Edge is one place where the testing numbers do tend to matter.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6.96 three cone is a very good number for Barnett.
You would be loco not to draft Barnett haha. The guy is a step behind Garrett that's about it talent wise. He isn't the same player as Myles but watch some tape, not Highlights. You'll see this guy destroy LTs with power and hand placement. He is the real deal, not a Jarvis Jones type imo.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not lasting that long. Bosa's performance in the NFL last year likely did a huge favor to polished rushers who don't have the "prototypical" athletic traits teams look for at the position.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He's not lasting that long. Bosa's performance in the NFL last year likely did a huge favor to polished rushers who don't have the "prototypical" athletic traits teams look for at the position.

Bosa has near elite athleticism. People just didn't realize because they were distracted by his 40 time. At 6'5" 270, his short shuttle (89th%), three cone (92nd%), and broad jump (80th%) were all stellar measures. The only drill that matters for his position that he didn't kill was the vertical. But people saw the 4.86 forty time and figured he was athletically limited. Not true.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett is a Top 10 pick, possibly Top 5. The only thing that would push him into the Top 15 is Free Agency. For him to last another 14 picks is absurd.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bosa has near elite athleticism. People just didn't realize they were distracted by his 40 time. At 6'5", his short shuttle (89th%), three cone (92nd%), and broad jump (80th%) were all stellar measures. The only drill that matters for his position that he didn't kill was the vertical. But people saw the 4.86 forty time and figured he was athletically limited. Not true.
It wasn't necessarily an issue which was brought up after the combine. Neither was Barnett's lack of elite athleticism. Bosa definitely has the upper hand in that comparison due to his length, but I'm thinking you will hear Barnett being labeled a "tweener" far less, in addition to his fit in any one scheme being questioned. Probably wouldn't have made a difference to scouts, but people will be freaking out much less about the 4.88 after Bosa's rookie year.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out of curiousity is he related to nick barnett? Kind of looks like the old packer lol

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derek Barnett will be a Top 20 pick. No chance for him to wear Green and Gold. He is a Mack/Miller type just like Garrett. Our hope is to land a guy like Jordan Willis or Carl Lawson. Even a TJ Watt but not Charles Harris who I believe to be over hyped!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Derek Barnett will be a Top 20 pick. No chance for him to wear Green and Gold. He is a Mack/Miller type just like Garrett. Our hope is to land a guy like Jordan Willis or Carl Lawson. Even a TJ Watt but not Charles Harris who I believe to be over hyped!

Barnett may be gone before he gets to #29, but you are overestimating his athleticism when you compare him to players like Mack, Miller, and Garrett. There is no comparison in that way. He showed enough, IMO, to stay in the conversation for the top 20 given his technique and production, but prospects like him also sometimes get leap frogged by more exceptional athletes. I think he is probably still gone in the top 28 somewhere, but if I were to make a list of prospects who might go later than many expect, he'd be on it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't wait to trade out of the first round just to mess with you guys.
Have no problems with dropping 5-7 spots for another 3rd or 4th. Most of these same guys that are being discussed will still be available then. Jordy was our first pick that year in the 2nd round. Hit someone of equal value.

Members online

Latest posts