Should favre just retire now?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing the Favre spot on ESPN a couple times now, and have heard multiple opinions on the matter..

one take on the subject was that when a player says "I dont want the ball in the final two minutes" (or whatever he said, it was close to that) that the team might not even want you back. its (as weve all talked about) as if hes unofficially retired there.

Now of course he can change his mind and say "I want the ball in the final minutes and lead the team down the field" but as of right now, this is not the favre(or any player) we want on the team.

We love the favre cuz he can make magic, he can throw through 3 defenders, he can lead a final charge down the field for a victory, but now he doesnt know if he can do that? He doesnt want to do that?

That is not the favre we all know and love. And im not bashing the man, hes done great things, and is a great man, but the main thing we love(at least me) is Favre the competitor. the man who will butt heads with a DT, who will throw a block on a reverse, who will put the game in his hands cuz sherman has given up on the run already. Now he doesnt know if he can do that. That is a pretty useless football player there. Thats like an RB not wanting\knowing if he can hit the hole. A CB not knowing or wanting to follow a WR(like carroll) or a kicker not knowing if can or wants to kick a field goal.

I, like most of you, feel a 50% favre is better than 100% of other QBs in the league, but we were all thinking it was 50% and the will to win, the emotional drive to lead the team(as well as gunsling, etc), and the DESIRE to want the ball, THE DESIRE TO PLAY THE GAME.

When Favre says "I dont want the ball in the final two minutes" its pretty much saying "I dont want to play football" because the final drive, a TD wins the game situation IS football. THAT is the situation a lot of QBs get up in the morning, and Favre doesnt want the ball?

I think if thats the way he feels about it(and he has the right to feel that way, hes earned it) then he should have his press conference, have a favre-love fest at Lambeau, and then buy a new riding mower for his home, and go do the things he wants to do, because playing football doesnt seem like its one of them anymore.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What (*I THINK) he's really saying TT-romadz is that I don't know if I want to play for this team since TT's f***** it up so bad...

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh thats right, because you read minds and know everything. :roll:

Im glad we have you for such translations.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I think Favre probably realizes that TT is fixing Sherman's mess as GM of the Packers. It won't happen overnight and I don't know if Favre wants to wait that long...he's got that right too since he's given us so much in his time as QB of the GB Packers.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure he is saying "I don't want the ball in my hands anymore". I think he is saying that he doesn't know if he wants the ball in his hands anymore. Which means exactly the same thing it meant a month ago. He doesn't know if he wants to come back yet.

If you read the comments that MM made on Packers.com, I think you'll get a better idea of how Favre is feeling. I think if TT and MM can convince him that they are going back to a "real west coast offense" he will return.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy than all get out if they return to the true West Coast Offense - which is a thing of beauty. They need to get back to screens, using their tight ends, and not throwing the ball 40+ yards downfield everytime the game isn't going exactly as planned.

Before anyone responds to this, I'm not attacking Favre with that statement. I just think the playcalling sucked so bad that Favre felt he had little choice.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy the bradshaw quote going around...I don't think Brett or any football player should half-*** their job, and his quotes suggest that he would be half-assing his job right now.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. He should not retire now. If we have any chance of attracting any decent FA there should be an expectation that he'll be returning. If he does retire, we are in for a bumpy ride. No FA attraction, Rookie QB, nor run game and semi-decent D. Before Favre leaves, we need to have a running game in place and a punch you in the mouth D in order to get the QB situation straight. Just like Big Ben walked into.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK I'll try to get this thread back to how it started. Favre says what he thinks. He is not a ******** kind of guy. Saying something like "I don't want the ball with 2 minutes left" is not a good sign, however it's January. Favre just went through his worst season ever. He needs some time and I really believe he still has the desire and he will come back.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he does not want the ball in his hands with the game on the line, then why would you want him back at all? The great players want the ball in crunch time. Ever hear Elway, Montana, Staubach or Marino make a statement like that? They lived for that moment, not shy away from it.
That was a real eye opener for me and I hate the Packers. How any Packer fan can continue to kiss his *** after that one is beyond me.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this again, TT isn't running Favre out of town. School is still out on TT. He may turn out to be as big a bust as GM as Sherman was, but you have to give him time too. Mr. Sherman left this team in a bad way. He overpaid average talent, drafted poorly and pretty much left the cupboard bare. TT has an enormous amount of work to do to clean up the mess left by Sherman. As for Favre, he has to decide whether he has the capacity to come back. As great as he is, I thought that he ended this season with his confidence in his ability to play at this high level. I'm not talking physically, I'm talking mentally. I can look at a number of plays this year where I thought as a HOF QB that all you have to do is make the right play, not the great play, and we win a few more games. Perhaps he's questioning himself on that too. If he is, then it's time to retire and that's not TT's fault.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
When Favre says "I dont want the ball in the final two minutes" its pretty much saying "I dont want to play football" because the final drive, a TD wins the game situation IS football. THAT is the situation a lot of QBs get up in the morning, and Favre doesnt want the ball?

When did Brett say 'i dont want the ball in the final two minutes' ??

I thought I heard something more on the lines of he wasn't sure he could say he wanted the ball in the last two minutes.

“There’s other days I go, ‘What if it’s crunch time — do you want the ball? I don’t know if I do.’ And that’s the things I have to sort out now.â€

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
If he does not want the ball in his hands with the game on the line, then why would you want him back at all? The great players want the ball in crunch time. Ever hear Elway, Montana, Staubach or Marino make a statement like that? They lived for that moment, not shy away from it.
That was a real eye opener for me and I hate the Packers. How any Packer fan can continue to kiss his *** after that one is beyond me.

"There’s days I wake up and I say, ‘You know what, I can’t retire. It would be stupid. What will I do?’ â€

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me this Favre retirement extravaganza every year is just media induced horse #$%^. It basically boils down to whether or not he accepts his roster bonus in March. If so, he better get his butt out there and be in shape because he isn't getting any younger. If he turns it down, we build a statue for him and move on.

Brett Favre has reached demi-god status and has been allowed to become bigger than the Green Bay Packers. He is very much human and has proved that time and time again with his play in the Sherman era.

I want him back as much as anyone because he gives us the best chance of winning, but I refuse to by into this stuff anymore. I don't think any of us are in a position to even speculate on his heart and thoughts. I do pose one question for all of you though, what would Marino or Elway at the end of their careers do, if they were in as good of shape as Brett is now?

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Philtration said:

"There’s days I wake up and I say, ‘You know what, I can’t retire. It would be stupid. What will I do?’ â€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Brett Favre..

"I don't know if I want the ball...(if I have the same ******* team that I had last year!!)"...

there..now you get it..TT-romadz?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Brett Favre..

"I don't know if I want the ball...(if I have the same ******* team that I had last year!!)"...

there..now you get it..TT-romadz?

Do you really believe that this is what he means? He sounds like a guy who is mentally drained and whose confidence has been shaken by throwing damn near 30 INT's...12 more than any other QB in the league! I'm not saying they were all his fault because I'm not an idiot...I just don't think he meant what you are interpreting his words to mean IMO.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the hell can you guys even pretend to know what Favre feels or what he should do. None of you have ever been close to his situation. News flash.......trying to decide who you should play as your second wide receiver in fantasy football doesn't count.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
listen, depack. Figuring out if you should play Randle El or Dante Stallworth can be hard!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
How the hell can you guys even pretend to know what Favre feels or what he should do
THANK YOU!
I am tired of hearing what "Favre meant by that"... no on knows. At least if people are going to put words in his mouth have the decency to say "I think what Favre means there is".

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey man..

I don't know what Favre meant...

But he could of meant this...or maybe not...

I'm just getting sick of people saying Favre doesn't have it anymore...He's a *****...and a loser...and other disrespectful sh*t like that!

I wish these people would just SHUT YER' PIE HOLES!!!

Latest posts