Sherrod, how good is/was he actually?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with the injury last year and the experiment with him playing guard, I've kind of lost sight or can't remember even how good he really was/is at playing LT. Obviously we have Newhouse there now, who is "decent" but nothing special. So how good was Sherrod? I ask because they didn't put him on the PUP list YET. They still may, but I'm wondering if this is because he may be able to practice soon. How much better could he be than Newhouse? Could he be a quality tackle for 8+ years like Clifton was?

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Newhouse needs more time and will satisfy our needs. With that being said, Sherrod clearly seems to have more natural talent, but we haven't seen enough of him to know what we will definitely get long term. My guess is he will unseat Newhouse at some point, but let's hope it's not a result of Newhouse getting Rodgers killed. We need both so we have a reliable backup at both T positions. It's every encouraging that Sherrod wasn't put on the PUP.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was just okay with potential. He looked like a Rookie.

My only real knock on him was his that looked like a waist bender. You want lineman, when pass blocking, to look like they are sitting in a chair--back more or less straight up, sunken hips, ready to punch. You're low but have power. Sherrod got low more from bending his waist.

That kind of thing can be correctable with practice, training, and flexibility drills. If you're loose in the hips, it's easier to drop said hips. Had he not gotten hurt, we could be doing those things. As a result, he'll probably be about as good as we was before he got hurt. His development was basically paused.

I'd guess we won't see indications of improvement and what his pro ceiling might be until the next pre-season.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They seemed to have really screwed up trying to put him at guard last year. I thought his best game by far was the KC game, so I'd be happy if he came back playing that well. It's hard to think that he would though. The guy hasn't practiced at all for long time. I hope he can come back and start practicing soon, but I doubt we'll have him back in a game before the bye.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't play this year. Maybe if he doesn't play, it'll be because we won't need him to play. I hope we don't need him.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The thing about putting Sherrod on IR for the year is that he STILL won't have practiced until next camp. Truth is, we need Sherrod active on the roster and practicing.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the post by maradtke66. Excellent analysis. He has some defeciency's that concern me such as being a waist bender. That being said we never really saw enough of the guy to formulate a solid opinion. He didn't show much but he didn't play much. Coaching hopefully will correct things.

H

HardRightEdge

He's quick, agile, has great feet. He played a little high pass blocking in college, and his answer to "get the pad level down" so far is waist bending, but as noted above that should be correctable. My biggest criticism would be his tendency to ride guys around the pocket then let them go...he's got to get used to NFL motors. His hand work needs some improvement...he has a tendency to engage a little high on the pads.

Very good physical talent; more so than Newhouse. My biggest concerns with him are (1) having one preseason and no offseasons/camps so far, he may not be ready for prime time this year and (2) will he ever be 100% physically?

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether or not he was decent in school/combine/last season prior to injury does not matter anymore. I think it will all rely on how he comes back. That was a pretty brutal injury.

Gotta remember he is a BIG dude and 300 lbs. on a destroyed leg I am sure puts some serious pressure on the bones. I just hope he can sustain when he returns then worry about his ability after.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys already hit the nail on the head. Not much else left to say. Has a lot of natural talent and size. Big time waist-bender and WAY to high of a pad level. Didn't improve to much throughout the season with that but the rest of his skills did. Was starting to look pretty darn good before he got injured last season.

Yes, I blame Newhouse for his injury. But I also give accolades to Newhouse for his performance shoved in a role his rookie year he wasn't ready for. Except for the KC game. He was garbage then. Lol

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't get much instruction from the coaches during the season when you're a backup. That's the time for self-instruction and self-learning time. Some guys do well at it and others seem to only learn from training camp. We'll see how self-motivated Sherrod becomes to eliminate some of those bad habits.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Justin Harrell. But then again, I knew the Harrell pick was terrible the moment his name was called. When Sherrod was picked, I didn't really like OR dislike it, it seemed like a solid pick at the time. When Harrell was picked, I immediately beat my wife and shot my dog.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointing we won't have him for 6 weeks. A few weeks ago in another thread I said broken legs take a long time to heal pointing to Jim Flanigan's injury so I'm not surprised.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flanigan was just a sad story. He was superlative in those few years he was a starter. Had his career started out right we may have kept that stronger running game in 98 and 99. And to think one of his injuries was on a kick off.
We won't know much about Sherrod until he can actually play and then some. We have very little game evidence of him last season. MM tried to get him reps. He seemed to struggle more with learning the play than just plain mechanics and execution. Up til now he physically had the talents.

Latest posts