Sherman vs. Lombardi...(and cronyism..)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
(another good article on the net...)

The Perniciousness of Cronysim (12/5/2004)

It's not so much that we lose, it's the lack of effort in the losses, the lack of consequences and the lack of accountability. Last year we suffered a loss in Philadelphia whose blame resided with the coach. In a grand display, the wrong coach was fired to save a friend of Sherman. Today we saw another game where lack of preparation and effort served as an embarrassing reminder of just how inept the Sherman regime remains.

I still go over last year’s playoff loss in my mind. I can’t help but question if Sherman would have the courage and self-honesty for a moment similar to the following:

With the press out of the room, Lombardi gathered his players around him and said there was a revelation in this loss. "Perhaps you didn't realize that you could have won this game," he said in a quiet, deliberate, voice. "But I think there's no doubt in your minds now. And that's why you will win it all next year. This will never happen again. You will never lose another championship."

That night Lombardi took his family and a group of friends and team officials to dinner in downtown Philadelphia. At one point, he was sitting alone with Ray Scott, the voice of the Packers, and they replayed the game one last time. He was proud of his men, Lombardi said. They had given every ounce of their effort. But that was more than he could say for himself. He had cost the team six points, the difference between winning and losing, by not going for easy field goals. "Coach," he said to Scott, using his all-purpose nickname, which he applied equally to people he admired and others whose name he had forgotten. "I learned my lesson today. When you get down there, come out with something. I lost the game, not my players. That was my fault."

David Marannis, _When Pride Still Mattered_, page 265.

One of the reasons I believe that Sherman should be removed from both jobs is that he’s not manager enough to run football operations as a GM and he’s not up to the task of head coach. I believe it is obvious that he does not have the ability to manage players or coaches.

I am a fan, perhaps too much of one, of the management consultant, Peter Drucker. For me, his style is a delight of clarity and crispness. Whether you are a top dog, ala former head of Citibank, and Appleton born, Walter Wriston (sometimes called, “the father of moneyâ€

Reaction score
Sigh, MS did take the blame for the loss to the Steelers. VL was VL, and no matter how hard you try, you will never find another VL anywhere. Is MS anywhere near to VL, HELL NO! But regardless, he is our HC and for the sake of the Packers, I want him to succeed like Vince.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on P@ck66, leave the articles from www.firemikesherman.com where they should be and not over here at Packer Forum. I think everyone who is going to buy into your crusade to get Sherman fired already feel that way and the rest just want to talk Packer football. He's our coach, regardless of what you or I think of him, and we might as well try and find a "silver lining" somewhere in it. Maybe the fact that Favre may come back if Sherman is coaching is it...

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack 66- you are going way back to the good ole days. This old packer fan who sat in Lambeau Field for all those many wins, and I thought of the past during those losing years of 1968-through 1991. With all the good years' we have had from 1992 to 2004, I could finally put the past behind me. Let it rest! 38years is just too long to stay in past and compare everyone to the "glory year Packers." Things are not that way anymore. The dynasties are over in NFL, because of Competitive Balance with free agency and Salary Cap, plus the good old NFL draft. Accept it, live with it. This old Packer quit living in Glory years of '60's since 1992 when the Packers with Favre at the controls came onto the scene and Packers have had no losing seasons until this year, and the Packers had the best NFL franchise record from 1993 to '04. Favre never had all those hall of Famers and All Pros that Bart Starr and the "glory year Packers had. Be thank ful for the last 13 years of winning Packer football. And quit your obsession with your "monday morning Quarterbacking" of everything Coach Mike Sherman does & says. He most likely be back next year along with Brett Favre and a healthy group of players who have been on IR, a bunch of second year players who will have gained a lot of experience by playing as rookies this year, and new group of '06 rookies. Lets look for the Packers to win some more games in '05 and come back strong and turn things around in '06!!!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did notice one thing on that "other" web site - which I think is just a bit suspect......

He has gone out and registered the FIREBOBHARLAN.com site, as well.

It's a free country - as everyone can see, by each and every post, either here or over at PackerChatters, or others etc., etc.,etc.

For me - I take it, myself, to ponder the Lindy Infante days as being the start of the upsurge, especially in 1989.. had we the O-Line which included Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera, and Chad Clifton, or even Ken Ruettgers - one wonders where Majik Man could have taken this game and this team. As it was, he took beating after beating and still kept poking other teams in the eye. And, quite a few of the pundits out there will come right out and tell you that Don Majikowski was (actually) the more athletic, when you compare him against Brett Favre.... A little more like Joe Montana - not quite so gunslinger, as it were. Brett, however, has proven himself the tougher of the two, tho' and that's what helped us maintain that streak in the Nineties.

Remember, when Reggie White (Eagles) decked Brett Favre, early on, just before Free Agency? Favre said (then) that he had never been hit so hard, ever. We can all name several times when Brett went down, and if it were Donny, that would have been it... over.. finished.... I guess it's a matter of perception... what if this, what if that...

This has been a great ride - and focusing on FA, along with a good draft - could mean the ride begins anew, without any real break in the stride, other than this 1999 repeat.....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
wischeez said:
Can we blame todays WIN on Sherman??

No. Maybe on our old friend Donatell, the falcons DC. Great game.

Who do we credit for the win today.

WE CREDIT THE PLAYERS... THAT'S WHO!

Sherman tried to calm it down so as to give it away - but you could see Brett out there "taking over" in the Huddle, where Sherman can't go....

EVERYONE in my Club saw it....

THE PLAYERS TOOK THIS GAME - Despite some extremely stupid run-play calling at consistently the WRONG time....

Gado, Favre, Henderson, etc.... Especially, Double-D..... To a man - They handed the Falcons a LOSS they deserved.... every inch of it. There comes a time when being cocky demands you walk that talk.. and the Falcons forgot that, today!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes the players executed very well today...but their execution, (abudance of tos, penalties, etc.) is also what held the team back in previous games, meaning their execution should be blamed as much in the losses as it is credited in the victories like today.

I also think inserting wells for Klemm was a good move.

Members online

Latest posts