Sheldon richardson trade for hundley?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I highly doubt that Hundley's trade value will soar because of his performance during the preseason this year.

Why wouldn't it? Maybe "soar" was the wrong word to use on my part, but if Hundley shows a good command of the offense, as well as has successful outings, despite being the preseason, his trade value should go up.

I have absolutely no idea why any general manager would consider Hundley a possible franchise quarterback.

As you said yourself, before Rodgers proved himself, the Packers weren't 100% convinced of what they had. I don't think any GM is 100% sure if a QB without many regular season snaps is going to be a franchise QB, but I am guessing there will be some GM's keeping an eye on Hundley and his progress, wondering if he is possibly worth trading for to potentially be his teams franchise QB. Teams have traded #1 picks, as well as used #1 picks on QB's they weren't fully sure of.

I heard about the Packers receiving an offer for Hundley during this year's draft but not that they were offered a swcond or third round pick.

While I never read any details of an actual offer, I think many assume it was a second or third round pick that the Packers were seeking for Hundley, simply because the rumors started to fly of trade talks on Day 2 of the draft, when the 2nd and 3rd rounds are conducted.

My take on Hundley hasn't changed. There is a lot of talk about his potential, but he will have to prove it in the preseason and any opportunities he gets during the regular season. While his snaps in the regular season to date have been pretty unimpressive, they were also in mop up duty, when you really aren't afforded a chance to really do much. I don't want to see Rodgers miss any time, but if he does and Hundley performs really well, then maybe his value will "soar". For now, I don't think his trade value is high enough to warrant not keeping him as a backup to Rodgers for at least one more year. Now if the Packers find a suitable #2 and nothing major happens to AR, it is just a matter of time before Hundley is playing for another team.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it? Maybe "soar" was the wrong word to use on my part, but if Hundley shows a good command of the offense, as well as has successful outings, despite being the preseason, his trade value should go up.

As you said yourself, before Rodgers proved himself, the Packers weren't 100% convinced of what they had. I don't think any GM is 100% sure if a QB without many regular season snaps is going to be a franchise QB, but I am guessing there will be some GM's keeping an eye on Hundley and his progress, wondering if he is possibly worth trading for to potentially be his teams franchise QB. Teams have traded #1 picks, as well as used #1 picks on QB's they weren't fully sure of.

While I never read any details of an actual offer, I think many assume it was a second or third round pick that the Packers were seeking for Hundley, simply because the rumors started to fly of trade talks on Day 2 of the draft, when the 2nd and 3rd rounds are conducted.

My take on Hundley hasn't changed. There is a lot of talk about his potential, but he will have to prove it in the preseason and any opportunities he gets during the regular season. While his snaps in the regular season to date have been pretty unimpressive, they were also in mop up duty, when you really aren't afforded a chance to really do much. I don't want to see Rodgers miss any time, but if he does and Hundley performs really well, then maybe his value will "soar". For now, I don't think his trade value is high enough to warrant not keeping him as a backup to Rodgers for at least one more year. Now if the Packers find a suitable #2 and nothing major happens to AR, it is just a matter of time before Hundley is playing for another team.
I would be ecstatic if a QB desperate team offered us a 1st round pick for Hundley. That would be amazingly good fortune.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would be ecstatic if a QB desperate team offered us a 1st round pick for Hundley. That would be amazingly good fortune.
Especially, a team that finishes near the bottom of the heap in 2017 :tup:

IMO Hundley would have to be spectacular during the preseason to warrant that, but stranger things have happened. Look at what Ron Wolf gave up to acquire a wildcard rookie talent named Brett Favre.

Interesting read on how Brett (Favre) ended up in Green Bay. Especially like the selective memory of Glanville and Herock.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...tt-favre-landed-green-bay-packers-made-happen

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt other teams would significantly put a higher value on Hundley even if he performs at an elite level against second or third stringers during the preseason once again.

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers were seeking a second or third rounder in return for Hundley but seemingly no other team was ready to give up a day two pick for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO Hundley would have to be spectacular during the preseason to warrant that, but stranger things have happened. Look at what Ron Wolf gave up to acquire a wildcard rookie talent named Brett Favre.

There's no way another team gives up a first round pick for Hundley based on his performance during the preseason.

In addition the situation isn't comparable to Wolf trading for Favre by any means.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In addition the situation isn't comparable to Wolf trading for Favre by any means.

Besides Favre being a 2nd round pick and Hundley a 5th how not? Not to mention some in Atlanta thought Favre was a bust and the Falcons would be lucky to get a late round pick for him. Hundley even has more NFL experience than Favre did before being traded to GB. I'm not saying Hundley is currently a 1st round value, but if he shows he has some talent working with the first team against first team defenses in the preseason, why can't he be valued as a first round trade prospect? Sounds like you have your mind made up and not trying to change it, just not sure how you are so sure?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre ended up here because the new GM, Wolf, had studied him extensively and wanted to take him the year before but was not in a position to do so with the Jets. So his homework told him to go get him when he could make that decision. I'd be ecstatic if someone wanted to give a 1st for Hundley, but I just don't see it. I'm not saying the guys sucks, I like him, i want to see more from him. Just not in the regular season outside of us blowing people out, he can step in and hand the ball off like crazy :)

But he showed a good ability to deliver a pass when the play breaks down or run. He seemed to be able to stay cool under pressure and perform. All great attributes. Maybe some GM thinks that's enough to give up big picks. But as of now, he's a perfect back up QB. He can come in and nobody knows what he'll do. He doesn't have tendencies on tape, he doesn't have a lot of tells on tape for other teams to dissect. he hasn't had an opportunity to show trends in certain situations or given certain defensive looks. He has shown he can run around and make some plays and that is valuable. But what happens when the other team is scheming for that? What happens when the other team knows you? He may be able to grow and adapt very well. or he may be just looking better than he'd be because he's a relative unknown. Perfect for a few games if need be, but maybe not what you want to sustain a season with.

IMO, one of the reasons Rodgers was so successful is because he took the opportunity to learn the offense inside and out and wasn't afraid to make mistakes to figure out how to grow as a QB. My memory tells me that Hundley wasn't that great running the offense but was pretty good when stuff broke down a little bit. Again, a nice trait, as long as that's not how the offense is always flowing thru your QB.

I'm not saying Hundley can't be any of these things, but right now for me I silly analogy I can come up with is like this high school kids that a basic cord progression and some double taps and pull offs on the guitar and can plug it in and impress some people that don't know much. They can't play a complete song, but they can make it wail for 10 seconds at a time and impress a few people. Compared to the guys like Prince, Tommy Emmanuel, Pete Townsend, Duane Allman, James Taylor, etc that can grab a POS guitar and make that mother ****** sing because they understand where the notes are coming from and how they work together.

They all start somewhere, but all i've seen from hundley right now is he can impress the ******* off young girls while Rodgers knows what makes the mature woman tick. I told you it was a silly analogy

D

Deleted member 6794

Besides Favre being a 2nd round pick and Hundley a 5th how not? Not to mention some in Atlanta thought Favre was a bust and the Falcons would be lucky to get a late round pick for him. Hundley even has more NFL experience than Favre did before being traded to GB. I'm not saying Hundley is currently a 1st round value, but if he shows he has some talent working with the first team against first team defenses in the preseason, why can't he be valued as a first round trade prospect? Sounds like you have your mind made up and not trying to change it, just not sure how you are so sure?

First of all there's a huge difference between being a second and a fifth round pick. In addition as Mondio correctly pointed out Wolf wanted to draft Favre with the Jets first selection in the 1991 draft all along but didn't have one before the Falcons pulled the trigger on him.

You're right about that I'm not ready to change my mind about a team possibly giving up a first rounder for Hundley solely based on his performance in the preseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
First of all there's a huge difference between being a second and a fifth round pick.
Besides a number, does it after a few years? I don't think Seattle cared that Matt Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick with what they traded the Packers to acquire him. The significance of "draft position" can get smaller and smaller as a player develops in the NFL. Favre had one season under his belt, Hundley has two. In hindsight, Wolf was an absolute genius to "steal" Favre from the Falcons for a first round pick, but I am guessing he was in the minority at the time thinking it was a steal. Again, I am not saying Hundley is currently worth a first round pick in trade, but I'm not ruling out the possibility either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that was different. Holmgren, who knew Hasselbeck well as the Packers coach, was the coach getting him Seattle. Also wasn't Thompson part of the staff that was around Hasselbeck and then went to Seattle with Holmgren? These guys knew him well. Who outside of GB knows Hundley well at this point?

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, I am not saying Hundley is currently worth a first round pick in trade, but I'm not ruling out the possibility either.

There have been no takers for Garrapolo at the current asking price although he has performed at a pretty good level during the regular season. Therefore I don't believe any team would be ready to give up a first rounder for Hundley based on preseason performance.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also wasn't Thompson part of the staff that was around Hasselbeck and then went to Seattle with Holmgren?

You're right, Thompson was the Packers director of player personnel at the time the team drafted Hasselbeck as well as the Seahawks vice president of football operations in 2001 when Seattle acquired him in a trade.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As was Thompson around in GB when Wolf asked him for his opinion of Favre before the trade. Neither Wolf or TT had seen Favre play, they only saw film. Just because Hundley hasn't accumulated a lot of reps in the NFL, it doesn't mean there isn't knowledge of or a desire for a guy that played pretty decent at UCLA and his rookie year in preseason. What the Packers end up getting for him, I guess we will wait and see.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just because Hundley hasn't accumulated a lot of reps in the NFL, it doesn't mean there isn't knowledge of or a desire for a guy that played pretty decent at UCLA and his rookie year in preseason. What the Packers end up getting for him, I guess we will wait and see.

As long as Hundley doesn't play any meaningful snaps in the regular season or playoffs for the Packers I expect the team to receive a 2020 compensatory pick for him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But they studied Favre in college, and loved him. At least Wolf did for sure. He wanted him in round 1. It's not like a couple preseason games formed their opinion. People studied Hundley too and nobody picked him till the 5th. doesn't mean they were wrong, but it's not like he's shown much, or consistently to change opinions either.

I like the guy. I think he has potential. i think he's a good back up for us for the time being. He certainly has room to be much more than that, but i don't think his limited body of work this far is going suddenly make GM's think he is so much more than they thought he was when they studied him in college.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wolf and the Jets got Browning Nagle instead, the pick after Favre, talk about feast or famine. History proved Wolf knew what he was doing and just like Aaron Rodgers, the teams that passed him up in the draft (32 times), wish that they had either drafted Favre or did what Wolf wasn't afraid to do, make a trade with Atlanta, a team that really wanted to dump him. I love reading what Jerry Glanville said at the time Favre was in Atlanta; "it would take a plane crash to put Favre in a game". Thankfully, that plane landed in Green Bay!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
so chances weren't good LOL
LOL...nope. Glanville thought Favre was a knucklehead and by Favre's own admission, he probably was back then. Out partying at night, didn't learn the playbook, couldn't run the scout team, late for practices.....not exactly a coach's dream player. I actually ran into Favre and Majkowski in a bar (Bucks) in Milwaukee when Favre first came to GB. They were really tossing them back and had a full entourage of women dangling all over them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lots of stories about Favre and beer and women in his early and MVP years. Sounds fun :)

Members online

Latest posts